General Empyrion Thread

Are there any mods out there that allow faction members to share a bank account? Because otherwise I'm going to have chests full of 10k credit cards sitting around so the non-moneyed amongst us can use our teleporters.

GasBandit

Staff member
Are there any mods out there that allow faction members to share a bank account? Because otherwise I'm going to have chests full of 10k credit cards sitting around so the non-moneyed amongst us can use our teleporters.
Unfortunately, not that I've found.

But the cards stack up to 50k, so that'll be 1/5th the storage space you might have feared :D

Of course, if you think it'd be better to have a different pricing structure, I'm all ears...

Unfortunately, not that I've found.

But the cards stack up to 50k, so that'll be 1/5th the storage space you might have feared :D

Of course, if you think it'd be better to have a different pricing structure, I'm all ears...
Nah, I don't have an issue with i.

Dave

Staff member
I'm all for it. I mean, if we want to buy a teleporter it's going to be 1 mil whereas right now it would be 8 mil. That's 700 jumps we can make basically on house money. I could make 260 jumps on what I have now and I'm not trying to make any cash.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm all for it. I mean, if we want to buy a teleporter it's going to be 1 mil whereas right now it would be 8 mil.
1 mil *each way. So, 2 mil if you want a 2 way teleport. Compared to 8 mil for your next pair, or 4 mil each way. But nothing says you can't have 1 way teleports to save money, though I suspect not many will go that route.

Depending on how well the mod works, I might also end up offering refunds on previously purchased teleporter pairs. I want to test it out first, though, and make sure it works as advertised.

Also, as an added bonus, the new teleports will be coded to personal/faction and locked, so even if someone takes over your base and re-cores it, they can't use your teleports to invade your other bases.

I mean, weren't you kinda already mentally preparing for card-packed cargo vaults, if and when Xango gets around to my requested /vb changes? :D
No, I'll honestly probably just stop using it if it costs money each time. The vb is only really 'necessary' for PoI runners who need to haul stuff back to the surface or for holding your stuff right before you die, and I don't spend a whole lot of time doing either. All I really use it for right now is to carry twice as many guns between bases when I'm going to sell them at Gargantua City, and I can do that just as easily with a second trip out to my SV's cargo boxes.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, I'll honestly probably just stop using it if it costs money each time. The vb is only really 'necessary' for PoI runners who need to haul stuff back to the surface or for holding your stuff right before you die, and I don't spend a whole lot of time doing either. All I really use it for right now is to carry twice as many guns between bases when I'm going to sell them at Gargantua City, and I can do that just as easily with a second trip out to my SV's cargo boxes.
I hear ya. I pretty much only use it to hold medical supplies, at this point, and extra storage space for carrying more stuff through a teleport. I guess, in practice, it's more of an early game security blanket that kind of peters out as you reach the endgame. So maybe a credit charge would be counterproductive anyway.

I hear ya. I pretty much only use it to hold medical supplies, at this point, and extra storage space for carrying more stuff through a teleport. I guess, in practice, it's more of an early game security blanket that kind of peters out as you reach the endgame. So maybe a credit charge would be counterproductive anyway.
A per-use charge for teleporters will probably do the same thing, to be honest. Or at least significantly reduce the amount that I use them. Most of my teleporter usage in the last week has been to and from our base in Trading Outpost orbit so I could sell guns so we could afford our next pair for $8M. If I can by a pair for $2M, I'll probably use the teleporters (round trip) once a day instead of the seven or eight I can get through in a good gun-running day.

GasBandit

Staff member
A per-use charge for teleporters will probably do the same thing, to be honest. Or at least significantly reduce the amount that I use them. Most of my teleporter usage in the last week has been to and from our base in Trading Outpost orbit so I could sell guns so we could afford our next pair for $8M. If I can by a pair for $2M, I'll probably use the teleporters (round trip) once a day instead of the seven or eight I can get through in a good gun-running day.
I'm still not sure I've found the right balance of cost vs ship warping.

Teleports:
Pros: Faster/more convenient, covers greater distance for flat cost
Cons: Can't move a ship, limited to what you can carry in inventory/vb

Ship jump drive:
Pros: Can move a ship, greater cargo capacity, docked vessels, etc
Cons: 300 credits worth of Pentaxid per AU used up in travel, multiple jumps usually required to reach destination, arguably pvp vulnerable

It seems to me that Teleports get a whole lot of pros for not many cons, compared to jump drives... and thus should cost more for the convenience. But I don't know really WHERE that amount should be. I picked 10k because that was slightly less than double the cost of a typical sector jump. But I'm still very open to suggestions on that front.

Also, if 8.1.2 does make it so that things like furnaces and constructors will continue to process even in the absence of players, that would probably greatly curtail my teleporter use, as usually my biggest use of teleporters is to ferry ore and ingots to/from Akua, where the furnaces run much more often than at my other bases.

I'm still not sure I've found the right balance of cost vs ship warping.

Teleports:
Pros: Faster/more convenient, covers greater distance for flat cost
Cons: Can't move a ship, limited to what you can carry in inventory/vb

Ship jump drive:
Pros: Can move a ship, greater cargo capacity, docked vessels, etc
Cons: 300 credits worth of Pentaxid per AU used up in travel, multiple jumps usually required to reach destination, arguably pvp vulnerable

It seems to me that Teleports get a whole lot of pros for not many cons, compared to jump drives... and thus should cost more for the convenience. But I don't know really WHERE that amount should be. I picked 10k because that was slightly less than double the cost of a typical sector jump. But I'm still very open to suggestions on that front.

Also, if 8.1.2 does make it so that things like furnaces and constructors will continue to process even in the absence of players, that would probably greatly curtail my teleporter use, as usually my biggest use of teleporters is to ferry ore and ingots to/from Akua, where the furnaces run much more often than at my other bases.
If you ask me, and you did, the whole thing is moot anyway. Once you get to the point that RDR is at, which is essentially where GBI was right before we left Renntech, a $10k tp charge is nothing, and neither is 300 refined pentaxid for a string of jumps. Also, I'm not really certain that requiring multiple jumps is all that much of a hassle. I mean, I'd love it if I could use a wormhole to get from one side of the solar system to the other (something for which I would happily pay 10M to 100M credits, if you could figure out how to add one, publicly usable and all), but I routinely trawl around our little corner of things, hitting up five or six orbits for asteroid mining, and can usually pick up enough pentaxid during the trip to at least - at least - recover what I used, and most times double or triple what I used. Really, once you make it past Ningues, resources just aren't scarce enough to make either paying 10k for a trip or 300 pentaxid for a string of jumps a hardship. And you can forget about the PvP vulnerability of CVs - orbital playfields are so massive these days that unless you removed the rule prohibiting embargoing warp-in points, there's damn little chance of being in the right place at the right time to catch someone before they jump back out of a system as they're hopping through. And while you can certainly stumble upon someone's base while you're out transiting the 'verse, you have to really be trying. I stumbled across two of yours, sure, but both times it was while I was actively searching for asteroids to mine in the vicinity of your bases.

It might help more if I knew what "problem" you were trying to solve for by charging credits for things.

It might help more if I knew what "problem" you were trying to solve for by charging credits for things.
The “problem” is that money just piles up in the end game, doing nothing useful. Gas is trying to find a legitimate place for those large sums of money to go, because he views an ever-increasing bank account as a symptom of insufficient in-game stuff to do, rather than an indication that someone is just obsessed with accumulating money.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
That's the main thing. I'm trying to add convenience in a way that serves to remove money from circulation so as to fight the rampant inflation caused mostly by Bonanza, and to a lesser degree, the asteroids and autominers.

That's the main thing. I'm trying to add convenience in a way that serves to remove money from circulation so as to fight the rampant inflation caused mostly by Bonanza, and to a lesser degree, the asteroids and autominers.
You may want to just let it handle itself for a little while. Honestly, at this point, all you would be doing is creating an annoyance to RDR and a hindrance to anyone trying to catch up to us, and it's getting mighty lonely out here in end-game land.

GasBandit

Staff member
You may want to just let it handle itself for a little while. Honestly, at this point, all you would be doing is creating an annoyance to RDR and a hindrance to anyone trying to catch up to us, and it's getting mighty lonely out here in end-game land.
Well, currently, my planned implementation would still be cheaper than the existing teleporter purchases, even in the long run...

But I have noticed the server's been rather ghost-townish this week. Wonder where everybody went.

This is why I was willing to put up with renntech for so long... when the population is small, the endgame gets stale PDQ.

Well, currently, my planned implementation would still be cheaper than the existing teleporter purchases, even in the long run...

But I have noticed the server's been rather ghost-townish this week. Wonder where everybody went.

This is why I was willing to put up with renntech for so long... when the population is small, the endgame gets stale PDQ.
Hopefully the fix they mention for R2T in 8.2 will actually work, and then it won't be as bad to take CVs out for big battles.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hopefully the fix they mention for R2T in 8.2 will actually work, and then it won't be as bad to take CVs out for big battles.
Here's hoping.

I wish there was also a way to have multiple options for repair bays. They say they're implementing a toggle, so servers can have either the traditional repair-over-time or an instant repair. I'd like to have it so people could repair over time as normal, but for an extra fee, they could repair instantly...

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, I don't plan to REQUIRE refunds. If you'd rather just stick with the teleporters you have, by all means, do so. I just don't plan to set up new ones, going forward. And since there are so few out there, the refund offer will be good into perpetuity should you change your mind and want to switch.

Also, I don't plan to REQUIRE refunds. If you'd rather just stick with the teleporters you have, by all means, do so. I just don't plan to set up new ones, going forward. And since there are so few out there, the refund offer will be good into perpetuity should you change your mind and want to switch.
So wait, are our options going forward to either
a) keep our existing teleporters, having already paid $9M for the 5 pairs (we bought two pair before you started graduating the price, and two pairs were "private" teleporters to Dave until we merged the networks), and not get anymore or,
b) strip out the ones we have, replace them with new ones once the mod goes live - paying for them again, but at the new price of $2M per pair - and then be able to continue to buy them at the new prices through the mod?

Because it sounds like a lot more work to go with the second route when I could just give you an extra million credits and then we could go on our merry way using the mod like everyone else. Is the model changing or something else that would prevent us from just keeping the ones we have now and adding to them?

GasBandit

Staff member
So wait, are our options going forward to either
a) keep our existing teleporters, having already paid $9M for the 5 pairs (we bought two pair before you started graduating the price, and two pairs were "private" teleporters to Dave until we merged the networks), and not get anymore or,
b) strip out the ones we have, replace them with new ones once the mod goes live - paying for them again, but at the new price of $2M per pair - and then be able to continue to buy them at the new prices through the mod?

Because it sounds like a lot more work to go with the second route when I could just give you an extra million credits and then we could go on our merry way using the mod like everyone else. Is the model changing or something else that would prevent us from just keeping the ones we have now and adding to them?
No, the teleport mod doesn't conflict with the vanilla teleports, so your options are:

1) Keep your existing TPs, and add future TPs through the mod at 2m/pair
2) Cash in your existing TPs for the cash, and replace/add future TPs through the mod at 2m/pair.

You can actually have both, no problem. I just would stop selling the vanilla teleporter devices going forward.

The mod doesn't actually use "Teleporter" devices, it uses faction chat slash commands, and remembers relative locations within structure IDs. So your "teleporter" would actually be invisible, unless you put up a sign/paint a texture.

Here's a video of the mod in action -

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh yeah and let's not overlook this gem from the experimental update:

"- Able to set Turret Attack Groups and Light Settings from the "Group" Heading"

THANK GOD

GasBandit

Staff member
The bad news... I'm thinking that the dynamic structure loading will break the /scan mod. I'll confer with Xango to verify.

The bad news... I'm thinking that the dynamic structure loading will break the /scan mod. I'll confer with Xango to verify.
I thought the /SCAN mod already doesn't go beyond visible range? (1k atmo, 3k space)
let's not overlook this gem from the experimental update:

"- Able to set Turret Attack Groups and Light Settings from the "Group" Heading"

THANK GOD
I saw that, but I'm not sure exactly what this means. Care to explain?

--Patrick

I thought the /SCAN mod already doesn't go beyond visible range? (1k atmo, 3k space)

--Patrick
I'm guessing (hoping, desperately, really) that it means no more telling each individual turret not to waste its ammo on predators, or telling all of your plasma turrets not to waste their time trying to shoot down fast drones.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jeez, that would be pointless. No, it scans contacts up to 7km away in space (5km to identify by name), and 3k/1k in atmo.
It means you can designate turret targets by group, now, instead of having to click EVERY SINGLE TURRET to uncheck "predators."

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, I've got the teleport mod set up. I was wrong about one-way teleports, you have to set up both ends for it to work. Each "end" will cost 1 million from your bank account when created, and each use will cost 10,000 credits.

For info on how to set up your teleport, type "/tt help" in faction chat. Teleport commands only work in faction chat.

Basically it goes like this. To set up a public/unrestricted teleport, stand where you want the "teleporter" spot to be, then type in faction chat:

/tt (ID of where you are) (ID of what structure you want this teleport to go to)

You will be charged 1 million credits, though I wish there was more feedback, it's silent. Just check your bank balance by hitting tab.

Then go to the destination the old fashioned way, and stand where you want the other end of the teleporter link to be, and type the same thing again in faction chat in reverse from last time -

/tt (ID of the structure you're in now) (ID of the first structure)

That'll charge you another million.

From then on, you can go to those spots in either structure and type '/tt' in faction chat, and be instantly teleported to the destination. You might need to hold still for a few seconds while things load around you. You will be charged 10,000 credits (silently). Teleports work between bases and CVs both, but only those with player cores (no admin buildings or POIs for example).

If you would rather a teleport be limited to you personally, when setting up the ports, use "/tt private (ID1) (ID2)" instead. To limit to your faction, use "/tt faction (ID1) (ID2)".

For more information, type "/tt help" in faction chat. A window will pop up with all the commands available, and their syntax.

The place where you use for teleports doesn't have to have any markings, but /tt won't work if you're not standing on the right spot. So, I recommend you at least paint a texture on the floor or put an LCD sign up or something. You could even get fancy and build a "teleporter pad" out of blocks, but try not to restrict the space around the block, especially overhead. It has a tendency to raise you up a half block or more to make sure you clear the floor at your destination, and you don't want to end up with your head embedded in the ceiling of a "Teleporter booth" or something.

And, as I said, existing vanilla teleporter devices will continue to function as they always have (IE for free, but with loading screens). If anyone is interested in refunds on them, just let me know, otherwise keep enjoying them as you always have.

Be mindful of teleporting to a CV, if someone else is already flying it around, chances are that teleporting to the CV at that time will just leave you floating in space as the CV flies away... or worse, plummeting to the ground.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I also assume if your CV or structure gets cored, that will rather mess things up.

--Patrick
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I think as long as you get it re-cored before the server sweeps up garbage, it should be fine. The death of a teleport would seem to be linked to the deletion of an ID.

Of course, that raises the question... if someone else decores your ship, then claims it for themselves.... will the teleporter continue to function? At this point, I think it might... I'll ask the mod author.

GasBandit

Staff member
Word on the official forum is 8.2.0 experimental has problems. Hope they do a few more versions to shake out the glitches before they push it to stable branch. In particular, POIs are just straight-up disappearing and not coming back. Oigh. I'm glad I do a full backup of the save every time we update.

GasBandit

Staff member
Of course, that raises the question... if someone else decores your ship, then claims it for themselves.... will the teleporter continue to function? At this point, I think it might... I'll ask the mod author.
1531503100395.png

So... if you capture a ship or base, remember you need to delete its teleporters if you don't want a sudden incursion.

GasBandit

Staff member
Keep a list of your teleporter IDs, is what he's saying.

--Patrick
Well, you won't know if somebody ELSE has made a teleporter to a ship or base you capture (unless it has obvious markings), but once you know the ID of a structure, you can "/tt list (ID)" to get a list of its teleports. So, if you forget, you can check your structures this way.

If you learn the ID of some other (non- or other-faction) structure, can you drop an invasive teleporter to it?

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
If you learn the ID of some other (non- or other-faction) structure, can you drop an invasive teleporter to it?

—Patrick
Well, not really, in practicality.

To establish a teleporter, you have to do the command at both ends. You have to stand on A and to /tt (ID-A) (ID-B), and then to to B, and do /tt (ID-B) (ID-A), and only then does the teleport start working. So, it's impossible to establish a teleporter to somewhere you can't go physically the ordinary way.

So, in most PVP circumstances, the only way you could establish a teleporter would be if you had already learned a structure's ID for yourself (which would be a real trick for a non-admin), AND had destroyed all its defenses so you could get close enough to stand on some part of it and invoke the command.

However, I don't think there would be anything to stop anyone from, say, standing in the GasZebo's public accomodation area and building their own teleporter there (if they somehow learned its ID).

So, I guess the take-home lesson here is also to treat your structure IDs like their True Name. Which is kind of what they are, really, if you think about it.

Looks like 8.2 is going to be a major headache. I really hope they don't push the experimental to live any time soon. We have reports of drones not falling - at all - unless you're watching them; rockets stopping their flight in mid-air until you look at them again; all structures (including ships) disappearing permanently unless you log out in them; PoIs disappearing between visits; the ground around PoIs being redrawn and trapping HVs/SVs/drones underground; terrain obstacles clipping into buildings and blocking doors (while also being containers instead of terrain objects so they can't be mined/drilled out) and hallways; it's a mess. I like the idea of their Dynamic Structure Loading system, but it sounds like their implementation has been... lacking.