Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

It's admitting defeat in Cuba, though. And there's a TON of people in FLA who would vote against anyone who'd choose to shut down Guantanamo Bay.
I thought there's a base there, and "shutting down Guantanamo" just means closing the prison, not the rest of the base that's there.

@figmentPez short version: ten TERFs laid in front of the parade and wouldn't move until they were allowed to lead. They carried anti-trans banners and passed out propaganda. The parade organizers condoned all this.

figmentPez

Staff member
@figmentPez short version: ten TERFs laid in front of the parade and wouldn't move until they were allowed to lead. They carried anti-trans banners and passed out propaganda. The parade organizers condoned all this.
Thank you, I could not find news stories with any details. I only found one story that mentioned it at all, and it just mentioned TERFs in passing.

Thank you, I could not find news stories with any details. I only found one story that mentioned it at all, and it just mentioned TERFs in passing.
London Pride issued an apology and admitted they really weren't sure how to handle the situation.

That at least gives me hope they'll have a plan in place in case it happens again, or see someone else's plan and opt for that. I don't know UK laws much at all. It gave yesterday a sour atmosphere, but I'm 32; I'll get over it. What angered me most was reading about trans kids who were at their first Pride and started it off being told they were shit by adults who should know better.

Zappit

Staff member
This administration makes me really, really hope Hell is real, just so there will be some measure of consequences for these people.

Dave

Staff member
I actually agree with this. The fact that they had been let out of jail and then told to go back was bullshit. They didn't escape, they didn't bitch about the initial punishment, and they did what they were supposed to. They shouldn't have been able to be sent back to prison. I don't think the taking over of the wildlife refuge, but I certainly understand their reaction to what I agree was governmental overreach.

Dave

Staff member
Well, the initial fuck up was not giving them the minimum sentence required by law... like, what was up with that?
I agree. But that's not THEIR fault. And THEY are not the ones who took over the wildlife refuge - that was just done in their names.

Also, this was not a PARDON, but a commuting of their sentence. So they are still guilty of the crimes, they just don't have to finish out the rest of their prison terms.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...imprisonment-led-to-armed-standoff-2018-07-10

Also, this was not a PARDON, but a commuting of their sentence. So they are still guilty of the crimes, they just don't have to finish out the rest of their prison terms.
Pretty sure a pardon still says you're guilty... there's something else for being declared innocent...

Law of the land, though applied far too sparingly.
If that's applicable, they should change the min sentence law about it, shouldn't they?

If that's applicable, they should change the min sentence law about it, shouldn't they?
Yes. Minimum sentencing in general is a really awful doctrine that gives too much power to prosecutors, there's plenty of ink spilled about this if you give it a Google. Sadly it's not a widely held position in judicial circles AFAIK, probably because the U.S. judicial ecosystem has prosecutors digi-evolving into judges, while defense lawyers rarely make the jump. This also leads to the position not being heard/seen by Congress, except to oppose it as a "tough on crime" vote grab.

I agree. But that's not THEIR fault. And THEY are not the ones who took over the wildlife refuge - that was just done in their names.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...imprisonment-led-to-armed-standoff-2018-07-10
According to the statement from the Whitehouse, it's full clemency. They're being pardoned.

figmentPez

Staff member
Man harasses a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt, saying it's 'un-American'

The woman in question was at an Illinois state park, getting ready for a birthday party at a pavilion she had a permit to use. The man started harassing her, asking if she was a citizen and demanding that she leave. A nearby police officer refused to help the woman despite the fact that she told him she felt threatened. Other officers eventually arrived and arrested the harassing man.

Man harasses a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt, saying it's 'un-American'

The woman in question was at an Illinois state park, getting ready for a birthday party at a pavilion she had a permit to use. The man started harassing her, asking if she was a citizen and demanding that she leave. A nearby police officer refused to help the woman despite the fact that she told him she felt threatened. Other officers eventually arrived and arrested the harassing man.
Of course a cop refused to help the woman - what do those shitbags care if regular citizens feel threatened?

This would also affect Anonymous, and could potentially be brought to bear against anyone wearing a burqa as well.
Or anyone wearing sports/SCUBA gear, gas masks, respirators, novelty sunglasses, certain hairstyles, clown makeup,
etc.

I would also point out that it's already illegal to conceal your identity with the intent to commit an illegal act.

--Patrick

This would also affect Anonymous, and could potentially be brought to bear against anyone wearing a burqa as well.
Or anyone wearing sports/SCUBA gear, gas masks, respirators, novelty sunglasses, certain hairstyles, clown makeup,
etc.

I would also point out that it's already illegal to conceal your identity with the intent to commit an illegal act.

--Patrick
And it's already illegal to murder people, and yet people think that more laws around guns, or anything else will have an effect on such.

Patrick, you might be surprised just how many laws are to make something illegal MORE illegal.

And it's already illegal to murder people, and yet people think that more laws around guns, or anything else will have an effect on such.
Yeah, that never works... school shootings are happening every other month where you're from too, right?

So, you can't barter for wild raptor semen... but you can trade in good faith? Or pay with coin of the realm? And are we talking birds of prey, or dinosaurs, here? Inquiring minds and all...
Per 50 CFR §21.30(g)(3), you can't purchase, sell, or barter. CrimeADay tends to quote the stranger cases of each law for the sake of entertainment :p

Here's the list of species covered by the word "raptor" under that law:
50 CFR §10.13(c)(2) as modified by 50 CFR §21.30(a)(1)(i) said:
Order ACCIPITRIFORMES
Family CATHARTIDAE
Coragyps atratus, Black Vulture
Cathartes aura, Turkey Vulture
Gymnogyps californianus, California Condor
Family PANDIONIDAE
Pandion haliaetus, Osprey
Family ACCIPITRIDAE
Chondrohierax uncinatus, Hook-billed Kite
Elanoides forficatus, Swallow-tailed Kite
Elanus leucurus, White-tailed Kite
Rostrhamus sociabilis, Snail Kite
Ictinia mississippiensis, Mississippi Kite
Milvus migrans, Black Kite
Haliaeetus leucocephalus, Bald Eagle
Haliaeetus albicilla, White-tailed Eagle
Haliaeetus pelagicus, Steller's Sea-Eagle
Circus cyaneus, Northern Harrier
Accipiter soloensis, Gray Frog-Hawk
Accipiter gularis, Japanese Sparrowhawk
Accipiter striatus, Sharp-shinned Hawk
Accipiter cooperii, Cooper's Hawk
Accipiter gentilis, Northern Goshawk
Geranospiza caerulescens, Crane Hawk
Buteogallus anthracinus, Common Black-Hawk
Parabuteo unicinctus, Harris's Hawk
Buteo magnirostris, Roadside Hawk
Buteo lineatus, Red-shouldered Hawk
Buteo platypterus, Broad-winged Hawk
Buteo nitidus, Gray Hawk
Buteo brachyurus, Short-tailed Hawk
Buteo swainsoni, Swainson's Hawk
Buteo albicaudatus, White-tailed Hawk
Buteo albonotatus, Zone-tailed Hawk
Buteo solitarius, Hawaiian Hawk
Buteo jamaicensis, Red-tailed Hawk
Buteo regalis, Ferruginous Hawk
Buteo lagopus, Rough-legged Hawk
Aquila chrysaetos, Golden Eagle
Order FALCONIFORMES
Family FALCONIDAE
Subfamily MICRASTURINAE
Micrastur semitorquatus, Collared Forest-Falcon
Subfamily CARACARINAE
Caracara cheriway, Crested Caracara
Subfamily FALCONINAE
Falco tinnunculus, Eurasian Kestrel
Falco sparverius, American Kestrel
Falco vespertinus, Red-footed Falcon
Falco columbarius, Merlin
Falco subbuteo, Eurasian Hobby
Falco femoralis, Aplomado Falcon
Falco rusticolus, Gyrfalcon
Falco peregrinus, Peregrine Falcon
Falco mexicanus, Prairie Falcon
Order STRIGIFORMES
Family TYTONIDAE
Tyto alba, Barn Owl
Family STRIGIDAE
Otus flammeolus, Flammulated Owl
Otus sunia, Oriental Scops-Owl
Megascops kennicottii, Western Screech-Owl
Megascops asio, Eastern Screech-Owl
Megascops trichopsis, Whiskered Screech-Owl
Megascops nudipes, Puerto Rican Screech-Owl
Bubo virginianus, Great Horned Owl
Bubo scandiacus, Snowy Owl
Surnia ulula, Northern Hawk Owl
Glaucidium gnoma, Northern Pygmy-Owl
Glaucidium brasilianum, Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl
Micrathene whitneyi, Elf Owl
Athene cunicularia, Burrowing Owl
Ciccaba virgata, Mottled Owl
Strix occidentalis, Spotted Owl
Strix varia, Barred Owl
Strix nebulosa, Great Gray Owl
Asio otus, Long-eared Owl
Asio stygius, Stygian Owl
Asio flammeus, Short-eared Owl
Aegolius funereus, Boreal Owl
Aegolius acadicus, Northern Saw-whet Owl
Ninox scutulata, Brown Hawk-Owl

But what about domesticated raptor semen?
It's literally addressed in the same sub-section's previous two entries:
50 CFR §21.30(g)(1) and 50 CFR §21.30(g)(2) said:
(1) You may transfer, sell, or barter a lawfully possessed captive-bred raptor to another person authorized to possess captive-bred raptors if the raptor is marked on the metatarsus by a seamless, numbered band that we provide.

(2) You may transfer, sell, or barter a lawfully possessed raptor egg or raptor semen produced by a raptor held under your captive propagation permit (including a raptor taken from the wild) to another raptor propagation permittee.
The hyperlinks in my previous posts go to the relevant laws.

Dave

Staff member
So this is interesting in a "holy shit how scary" kind of way.

https://www.wired.com/story/a-landm...y-guns/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

Seems Trump's Department of Justice has dropped a lawsuit against the maker of a 3D printed firearm, which is untraceable. The Obama administration was (to me) rightly concerned about this as having the plans on the internet constituted that basically anyone anywhere could manufacture these weapons, including enemies of the US, which violated the International Trade in Arms Regulations (ITAR). But Trump's Justice Department figures "Meh. What harm could come of this?"

So gun control is officially and completely dead beyond redemption. Nobody has to go to gun shows to buy things any more as they can just MAKE them.

Dave

Staff member
I mean, technically, you could before, too. The equipment is slightly heavier, but...
Before you had to know a LOT of stuff like calibration, machining, etc. Now you just need a 3D printer, which are getting cheaper and cheaper every day.

figmentPez

Staff member
So gun control is officially and completely dead beyond redemption. Nobody has to go to gun shows to buy things any more as they can just MAKE them.
I've been saying exactly this for a while now, and have been ignored. I'll also note that his lawsuit would not have made any difference to that fact, regardless of how it was settled.