A firework mortar tipped over and the mortar landed in the crowd, on a couple and their children about 4 feet in front of us, before exploding. After the explosion I saw the woman’s hip on fire, her shorts shredded so I got up and started swatting the burning stars away from her skin. I thought she was one of my kids and it wasn’t until I smacked all the burning material away and was hitting her hip and rear end that I realized it wasn’t one of my children.

Lots of things happened quickly in the ensuing hour. Found that two of my kids received burns, two ambulances and a fire truck arrived and carried away three people to the university of Michigan burn center. They’ll recover fine, but an abundance of caution is useful where possible third degree burns are involved.

TLDR: smacked a woman repeatedly tonight thinking it was one of my kids.

Wait, that doesn’t sound good....

I’m still keyed up. The explosion made no small impact on my emotional state, and while quick thinking from many people (not just me!) probably saved this family a lot more grief, they’ll still be staying in the hospital overnight and possibly longer, and I wonder how this will affect their future enjoyment of fireworks.

Any way, that was my night, how are you all?

Lots of things happened quickly in the ensuing hour. Found that two of my kids received burns, two ambulances and a fire truck arrived and carried away three people to the university of Michigan burn center. They’ll recover fine, but an abundance of caution is useful where possible third degree burns are involved.
Was it your kids who got the 3rd degree burns?

A firework mortar tipped over and the mortar landed in the crowd, on a couple and their children about 4 feet in front of us, before exploding. After the explosion I saw the woman’s hip on fire, her shorts shredded so I got up and started swatting the burning stars away from her skin. I thought she was one of my kids and it wasn’t until I smacked all the burning material away and was hitting her hip and rear end that I realized it wasn’t one of my children.

TLDR: smacked a woman repeatedly tonight thinking it was one of my kids.

Wait, that doesn’t sound good....

I’m still keyed up. The explosion made no small impact on my emotional state, and while quick thinking from many people (not just me!) probably saved this family a lot more grief, they’ll still be staying in the hospital overnight and possibly longer, and I wonder how this will affect their future enjoyment of fireworks.

Any way, that was my night, how are you all?
The brofist is for leaping into action and potentially saving a life tonight.

Was it your kids who got the 3rd degree burns?
I don’t believe the burns they received were third degree. The EMT that examined him briefly described them as “partial thickness burns” and advised us to have a doctor check them out but didn’t urge us to go to the emergency room. My older sons burn is probably just first degree.

The EMTs describing the injuries of the family that received the brunt of the burst described the worst one as “superficial burns” and one laceration. They applied wrappings to all the affected areas of those with worse burns than us, but I didn’t get to see the burns after the initial incident so I guess we will just have to wait to hear through the grapevine.

For those curious what small consumer mortars can do if they explode 4-6 feet away, I’ll put the two worse burns on my kid behind the spoiler. This is after they’ve been cleaned, just before a second application of lidocaine and antibiotic, plus a bandaid:

675FBA0A-6A5E-434C-9479-4796499DFEF0.jpeg
AF8E99F3-D239-45C4-85FC-4A6947EB0B92.jpeg

So both burns were probably caused by the metals that create the light trails of the firework. They burn hot but last well under a second. Since I didn’t add a banana for scale, the dark central spot in the stomach burn is a little under 1/4” x 1/2”. The one on arm is under 1/4” x 1/4”. The reddened swollen areas around the center of the burn are both larger than a quarter.

To be honest if someone had asked me the damage of a firework at that distance I would have expected much worse.

I've had low bursting fireworks land on my blankets and burn holes in them, thankfully none of them ever got me.

The other family was released from the hospital this morning, under twelve hours in the hospital. So I would guess the burns weren’t bad enough to require skin grafts.

I heard back from the family directly. The head of the burn unit said they had the best case scenario, no eye injuries and the wounds will heal without problem on their own, perhaps not even leaving scars for most of the wounds. Just bandages and bacitracin, keeping an eye out for signs of infection.

The rocket landed in their blanket between the five of them. Dad and one son were not injured, but mom and the two youngest were.

We’re in Houston at MD Anderson for the next to last chemo treatment for my wife. Our daughter is on the way to Missouri to live for the foreseeable future. Gonna miss that Pug she’s taking with her.

This weekend I'm helping out at a thing!

Basically, a bunch of local tabletop/D&D gamer peeps are getting together to raise money for the local children's hospital by playing said games for ~48 hours straight. I'm supplying the location and playing in one of the sessions. @Eriol is playing in, like, 3 or 4 back-to-back.

We have a Twitch channel, linked off of the image up there, so.... Watch! Donate! Mess with the players my changing the mob types! (Which reminds me, my character needs to stockpile a bunch of healing potions.)

I've had low bursting fireworks land on my blankets and burn holes in them, thankfully none of them ever got me.
My brother sells fireworks in 11 different locations, and each new year I get about $500 retail of free fireworks.
About once a year a mortar will go off incorrectly. I've been much closer than 4 feet from them. But it is also winter so I am wearing a felt cowboy hat and a leather jacket. So I have not been burned. My ears would ring for about 2 hours though.

More from the story

The accident happened around 9:00 on South Timberland Drive.

Authorities said George Rowe, 83, of Lufkin, was southbound in the 200 block of South Timberland Drive in a blue F150 pickup when the 47-year old man walked out in front of him.

The man had crossed into the road from the old Loving Toyota location.
I just like how they get more and more specific about where the collision occurred.

Okay people, I have a small, easily attainable request:

I need someone to open a store exactly like this, but with armadillos.

Alpaca Connection.jpg

Someone get on that, please? There's a pal.

Julie: I don't know what to get you for your birthday.

*adds another dozen items to wishlist so she has more ideas*

Julie: Now I really don't know.

=|

This weekend I'm helping out at a thing!

Basically, a bunch of local tabletop/D&D gamer peeps are getting together to raise money for the local children's hospital by playing said games for ~48 hours straight. I'm supplying the location and playing in one of the sessions. @Eriol is playing in, like, 3 or 4 back-to-back.

We have a Twitch channel, linked off of the image up there, so.... Watch! Donate! Mess with the players my changing the mob types! (Which reminds me, my character needs to stockpile a bunch of healing potions.)

It's over! A little under a full 48 hours of continuous (-ish. there were set up breaks) gaming. And they raised a little under $750 CAD with no expenses. AND the place wasn't a complete tip afterward, it was actually pretty darn clean, so yay!

Dave

Staff member
Why don't the wizards in Harry Potter use lanyards on their wands?
Probably because of magic reasons. I mean, they won't drill a hole through them to put a string through, which means they'd have to do something like a wand sleeve or a clamp of some sort. Besides, if you have to be precise with your movements a lanyard might interfere.

Probably because of magic reasons. I mean, they won't drill a hole through them to put a string through, which means they'd have to do something like a wand sleeve or a clamp of some sort. Besides, if you have to be precise with your movements a lanyard might interfere.
NERD!!!!!

Because when you're magically disarmed with Expelliarmus, the magic is fucking serious about you getting disarmed. If you have a wrist strap or a lanyard attached to your wand, either the strap/lanyard will snap and the wand will fly away, or your entire hand will come off and fly away with the wand. Basically, you're getting disarmed, one way or another.

/wellactually

A lot of people find out too late that debts owed may still be collected after death, depending on the contract, will, and local laws and regulations. Usually the debt is held against the "estate" of the deceased, it generally can't be inherited, however it may have to be paid prior to other inheritances in the will so it can still feel like the debt is being paid by the inheritors, who simply receive less or perhaps nothing at all.

Set your debts in order, understand their terms and conditions before you die and when you write your will.

If you do have lots of debts and you don't want your inheritors to lose out on money or assets you intend to give them, consult with an estate lawyer who knows how to set up trusts and protect at least some of that upon your death.

Strange that Paypal's template has that possibility. Human error or not, it shouldn't have been sent as written and should have been directed to the executor of the estate, not the deceased.