General Empyrion Thread

Alright, Hotfix 2 for RC 2 has been released, RC3 is scheduled to be released tomorrow, and Alpha 8 is still scheduled to be released to stable branch on Tuesday. What?!

GasBandit

Staff member
RC2 hotfix 2 is not doing enough to deal with the problems introduced by RC2, it seems. They removed camera shake from the only place everybody agreed it was appropriate (escape pod sequence) and left it on all the weapons where everybody hated it. Hopefully Monday's patch addresses this.

RC2 hotfix 2 is not doing enough to deal with the problems introduced by RC2, it seems. They removed camera shake from the only place everybody agreed it was appropriate (escape pod sequence) and left it on all the weapons where everybody hated it. Hopefully Monday's patch addresses this.
Yeah, there is some serious consternation on the forums right now regarding camera shake - especially since not all weapons seem to have their own shake stat in config.ecf (some, like the Epic AR, inherit that stat from their T2 variant, but don't inherit an 'off' value, apparently).

They also set it so that no turret will ever target a sentry gun. Ever. They've removed that targeting option. While this is nice for POI assaults when all of the external turrets have been blown off and the tanks are pouring fire into the base trying to get to internal sentry guns; it seems a bit lacking for when there are sentry guns on the outside of a structure. I guess I'll put all of my base turrets inside my base to deal with players and just put sentry guns on the outside so enemy vehicles can't target them.

Dave

Staff member
I'm a little annoyed at the 8 solo stuff. The merchants - at least on this starting world - will buy NOTHING. Oh, they have a lot of cool stuff to SELL, but you can't get any damned credits because they won't BUY anything. I even teleported to the space station in orbit and they don't want to buy anything either.

I'm a little annoyed at the 8 solo stuff. The merchants - at least on this starting world - will buy NOTHING. Oh, they have a lot of cool stuff to SELL, but you can't get any damned credits because they won't BUY anything. I even teleported to the space station in orbit and they don't want to buy anything either.
It happened in 7.6.1 as well, the only SP scenario where you could, by default, sell anything to any merchants was the default scenario. For all of the others, you have to go in and fiddle with the config files. They were meant to buy things, but that setting didn't get flagged appropriately.

Dave

Staff member
Finally beat the abandoned drone base. I died once because I fell down a hole surrounded by alien scorpions. When I got back I was able to retrieve my backpack thanks to finding another way down that allowed me to snipe them all without danger of getting hurt. I've cored the place but haven't gone back to break everything down yet. I did get about 50 sathium ingots, 35 gold ingots, an enhanced pulse rifle, and a few other really good items. It's why I fought so hard to get my stuff back.

And in heavy armor with three multi-boosts food hardly degrades at all. It's been nice not having to worry about starving to death.

Dave

Staff member
One thing, the food processors no longer make medicine of any kind. Anyone know how you do that now?

GasBandit

Staff member
My solo game didn't even SPAWN a trade station on the starting world, nor in orbit! There were only 4 on the whole map (all in orbits). I actually kinda liked survival feeling more "off the beaten path" so to speak.

You trying to build a new world there, boss?
Yeah noticed him logging in/out/in/out/in/out.

...why did nobody tell me that you can "paint" blocks instead of having to place. each. one. individually.
Also, why did nobody tell me that you have to press C to dive under water? I almost died from lack of seaweed.

Also also, TIL that time continues even when you press ESC to bring up the game menu. I thought it paused when you were in single-player.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You trying to build a new world there, boss?
Yeah, til friends dragged me off to see Solo.

But yeah, I'm working on building the server's world for alpha 8. It's being a real pain in the ass, because tricks I used in 7 aren't all working in 8. I got Gargantua City in, in place of the trade station, and I got the teleporters working between Akua and Tallodar, and I even got Bonanza Orbit... but Bonanza itself is being a right royal pain and throwing exceptions left and right.

Still working on getting it hammered out.
...why did nobody tell me that you can "paint" blocks instead of having to place. each. one. individually.
Also, why did nobody tell me that you have to press C to dive under water? I almost died from lack of seaweed.
Because you're not in multiplayer for us to be with you to tell you, silly.

you're not in multiplayer for us to be with you to tell you, silly.
AKUA BERRIES ARE MY EXISTENCE NOW
Hungry? Eat Akua berries.
Low health? Drink Akua wine.
Too many Akua berries? Toilet, Shower, Rinse, repeat.

Also I am now swimming in several thousand rounds of minigun ammo from drones.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Played waaaaay too late last night (went to bed at 4:30 even though I knew I had to be up at 6).
BUT finally tried my hand at building an HV, crammed as much as I could (except drills) onto a microidealized-PvE build (which I will of course revise) and struck out on my first real extended-leave mission rather than the usual strike-and-return resource sorties I’ve been running. Decided to finally check out what these distant “Residences” and “[adm] TS Akua” POIs are.
And the trip actually goes without incident. The two Gatling turrets on my roof take care of any predators and I’m game-savvy enough that I knew to put thrusters on all 4 sides and give it excess lifting capacity to be prepared for when I load up the cargo box. I power slide my way around the trees to set down in front of the “Residences” POI and OH GOD THE TURRETS OPEN UP ON THE FACILITY AND START POUNDING IT I’M SORRY ALIENS AND actually it wasn’t too bad. I powered down the HV as soon as I realized what was happening (which shut down the turrets) and went into the config to set their fire control to ignore everything except “Predators.” The facility only lost two external glass tanks and the sentries appeared to have not noticed, so if they don’t say anything, *I* sure won’t.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The replacement power supplies came in today, so at some point this evening I'll be shutting down the server for a couple minutes. Actually, I'm going to test to make sure these are as "hot swappable" as advertised by putting one in and plugging it in, then removing the other and putting the second in its place... but I still have to reboot the machine to set the CPUs and RAM to full speed again.

Oh! I know you said “power supplies,” but I assumed you meant “UPSes” and not “PSUs” because people are always (erroneously) calling them that.
I also hope you’re prepared for the possibility that even your new PSUs may not have enough oomph to (individually) keep your system running if the one that’s already in there can’t (unless the old one is degraded, lower rated, fuzzblocked, or whatever).

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh! I know you said “power supplies,” but I assumed you meant “UPSes” and not “PSUs” because people are always (erroneously) calling them that.
I also hope you’re prepared for the possibility that even your new PSUs may not have enough oomph to (individually) keep your system running if the one that’s already in there can’t (unless the old one is degraded, lower rated, fuzzblocked, or whatever).

—Patrick
Old one is 550 watts. The new ones are 870 watts each. I think it'll be good.

I've spent the last good while in alpha 8 creative mode making not-quite-starter vehicles for self-sufficient POI and PvP raiding. I liked the modular design of the carapace CV that Tin found on the workshop, so all of the vehicles are full-sized platforms which unlock at levels 7 and 10, which can have more advanced weapons added on as I level. The large HV tank platform even handles mountains this time, and is built more for broadside work than the fully surrounded box from 7.6.1. The SV is heavy, and a little slow, but it still rolls and jinks, and should be able to soak a decent amount of damage. The CV has limited hangar space (room for one SV and one HV, plus a GasBuggy), significant cargo capacity, multiple advanced constructors, 20 grow plots, lots of baffles, and all of the turrets on the face of the ship.

Dave

Staff member
I've tried a few things in creative mode and I've learned that my inability to build things that look good and are functional in Minecraft do carry over to Empyrion. I fucking SUCK at building things.

I take that back. I can build things, but they are either terrible looking or dysfunctional. In fact, I like this game but I have yet to find something in it I AM good at.

I've tried a few things in creative mode and I've learned that my inability to build things that look good and are functional in Minecraft do carry over to Empyrion. I fucking SUCK at building things.

I take that back. I can build things, but they are either terrible looking or dysfunctional. In fact, I like this game but I have yet to find something in it I AM good at.
Dungeon crawls and comic relief?

Also, still haven't seen anything in an RC3 or any additional hotfixes. Things on the forums seem to be settling down, so hopefully tomorrow we'll get a decently clean stable-branch release. And I could not be more ready.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, still haven't seen anything in an RC3 or any additional hotfixes. Things on the forums seem to be settling down, so hopefully tomorrow we'll get a decently clean stable-branch release. And I could not be more ready.
Here's hoping. I've more or less got the new map (which is actually same as the current map, just with BIGAR PLANNITS) ready to go. I'm just hoping they fix the whole disappearing trees/flying logs/camera shake thing.

Like, REALLY hoping.

I want to be able to go into the "what are you playing" thread and say "Hey Alpha 8 just came out and I've got a fresh map on a new server, there's never been a better time to get into Empyrion so COME ON Y'ALL!" and at this moment I'm not confident I'll be able to do that.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
We will if we start getting people. We've already had randoms coming in, but if the server population ever grows you're going to wish you'd have done it ahead of time.

GasBandit

Staff member
We will if we start getting people. We've already had randoms coming in, but if the server population ever grows you're going to wish you'd have done it ahead of time.
I've got the hang of it now, I think. Adding more planets will be easy and quick. Easier and quicker even than it was in Alpha 7, actually! As long as I don't feel the need to customize things about them (like Bonanza, that was eight bitches on a bitch boat). But as long as we just need more stock "desert" or "temperate" or "snow" or "alien" planets, sticking them in is as easy as updating the sector list with "Planet name" "Planet type" "Coordinates here" and restarting the server. The game now randomly generates the planets from yamls which themselves randomly pick from pools of POIs and such, and randomly place them. So they'll be unique even if they use the same yaml as another planet in the map.

GasBandit

Staff member
Server's back up and running on both 870w PSUs, and I've added Xango2000's Active Radar mod. Any ship with a radar deco block (or alpha 8 player carrying a hand scanner) can now /scan to populate their map/HUD with significant contacts - In space, the radar will detect contacts (resource deposits, meteors, resource asteroids, POIs, ships and bases) out to 7km, and identify them by name out to 5km. Planetside, it will do the same but detection range is reduced to 2.5km and identification range is reduced to 1km.

Uh-oh... HV's can no longer hover over water. Ever. At all. It's apparently being looked at asap. Can confirm, just before RC3 released I circumnavigated my starter planet in a modified Gasbuggy, and now it just sinks right in. If you use the emergency booster to jump out, it jumps out and sinks right back in.