[News] The USA Police State will never satisfy its lust for beating, gassing, and imprisoning minorities

In other news, that South Carolina cop who murdered a fleeing black suspect has just been sentenced to 20 years. You know what they say about blind squirrels.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-for-black-motorists-death-idUSKBN1E12DC?il=0

Notably in that case, the officer agreed to plead guilty to a lesser charge. We don't know how the trial would have proceeded if he claimed innocence, however we know that was a risk he wasn't willing to take in light of the plea agreement.

Because it was. There was absolutely no reason to shoot.
Unless of course, you're a police officer on any number of police facebook groups /webpages /etc. I saw "Good shoot" one too many times for my taste. You know, I subscribe to a lot of law enforcement sites and read them because I feel it's important to get another perspective. More than a few of my childhood friends grew up to be police officers. Unfortunately, I almost feel like I need to stop, because if anything, it only gives me a worse impression.

99% of the time I get variations of:

"Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes"

"Good shoot"

"Please tell me about all your training and experience and law enforcement"

It honestly does little to reassure me.

Try being one and everyone around you is like that. Human empathy is left at the door and us vs the world is the norm.

Daniel Shafer found not guilty

I had never seen this particular video before. It's a pretty tough watch and after seeing it myself I can't help but also think it was a form of execution and murder.
It absolutely was with a bit of a powertrip added in for good measure. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that some of the jury believe in never convicting a cop no matter the circumstances.

It absolutely was with a bit of a powertrip added in for good measure. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that some of the jury believe in never convicting a cop no matter the circumstances.
That's basically true. The conviction rate for police killing someone is tiny. There are at least 1,000 killings by police each year. So between 2005 and 2017, that's 12,000. In that time period, 80 of the police involved were arrested for murder or manslaughter. 1% of 12,000 is 120, so less than 1% are even arrested. Only 35% of those 80 were convicted. So to simplify, the conviction rate for police who kill in the line of duty is less than 0.33%

Try being one and everyone around you is like that. Human empathy is left at the door and us vs the world is the norm.
Hey, at least you know there's at least one other cop with some human empathy . . . all the way down Georgia way :confused:

I'm sure there's some closer to you.

(This was supposed to be humorous. I think I failed.)

Unless of course, you're a police officer on any number of police facebook groups /webpages /etc. I saw "Good shoot" one too many times for my taste. You know, I subscribe to a lot of law enforcement sites and read them because I feel it's important to get another perspective. More than a few of my childhood friends grew up to be police officers. Unfortunately, I almost feel like I need to stop, because if anything, it only gives me a worse impression.

99% of the time I get variations of:

"Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes"

"Good shoot"

"Please tell me about all your training and experience and law enforcement"

It honestly does little to reassure me.
This is why they say that.

It's like greed is a bad thing that can ruin things...
I think that oversimplifies all "corruption" (I'm loathe to use that term right now, but can't think of a better one) as greed. Most almost-certainly justify it to themselves as helping put food on the table, taking care of their families, etc. Especially the front-line people, who aren't "really" benefiting much. They're part of a system which leads to bad things, but expecting everybody to be virtuous "just because" doesn't help much either.

Related video:

Even if you have the best intentions, one level down you still need to deal with those who don't.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's like greed is a bad thing that can ruin things...
Anything can be a bad thing and ruin things, in sufficient amounts and wielding power. Drink too much water and you die. Give even the most well-meaning government too much power and you get a dystopian nanny state.

But keep the playing field level and balance greed vs greed, and everybody benefits. The problem here is that there is no balance vs law enforcement greed. Thus, it must be kept to as little power as possible while still being able to do its job.

Just for the record, guys, "greed" is the word for excessive and unnecessary want...

But keep the playing field level and balance greed vs greed, and everybody benefits.
Sure... if both sides have the same amount of pull... which is why plenty of poor people work 2 jobs and are still poor.

Especially the front-line people, who aren't "really" benefiting much. They're part of a system which leads to bad things, but expecting everybody to be virtuous "just because" doesn't help much either.
Yeah, i wasn't talking about greed of the low level people... if that was an issue they wouldn't feel the need for quotas.

Some of that is disingenuous, because a place like Iran doesn't have many prisoners because they either kill lawbreakers or cause great bodily harm to those convicted.

Just sayin'.

Some of that is disingenuous, because a place like Iran doesn't have many prisoners because they either kill lawbreakers or cause great bodily harm to those convicted.

Just sayin'.
Feel free to remove countries from the list that treat their prisoners worse than the U.S. (by whatever criteria you announce), I don't think the list would be any more flattering.

How is Japan so incredibly low on that list?
Japan, like many westernized countries, uses shorter (compared to the U.S.) prison sentences for most crimes, and has a (AFAIK) robust parole system. This results in fewer people being concurrently imprisoned, even if the crime rate isn't necessarily lower.

They also have one of the lowest crime rates, because glorious nippon, and/or crime is under-reported/under-prosecuted there, which ties with why the convictions rates are hilariously high if prosecuted.

Japan, like many westernized countries, uses shorter (compared to the U.S.) prison sentences for most crimes, and has a (AFAIK) robust parole system. This results in fewer people being concurrently imprisoned, even if the crime rate isn't necessarily lower.

They also have one of the lowest crime rates, because glorious nippon, and/or crime is under-reported/under-prosecuted there, which ties with why the convictions rates are hilariously high if prosecuted.
Interestingly, the countries in both the top and bottom portions of that list lean towards being the reprehensible parts of the world. Mostly the bottom. The top is more oppressive.

I think Japan might want to reconsider what this means for them just as much as the US ought to. (I know India knows their rates are problematic, and clearly show they struggle to police themselves)

figmentPez

Staff member
Chicago police handcuff unarmed 10 year old boy

How is this justified? Because he matched a vague description of someone who might have had a gun? That's absurd! They searched him and found he was unarmed, and then proceeded to handcuff him. He's a child, half the size of the two officers present, and he was so terrified he pissed his pants. In what world do grown men need to restrain a frightened little boy? He was not a threat to them, and exhibited no aggressive behavior.

They were probably worried he would freak out, and wanted to keep him from hurting them/himself.
Or maybe they thought they would use the opportunity to “teach him a lesson against the future.”
Or maybe they’re just meanies.

—Patrick

Chicago police handcuff unarmed 10 year old boy

How is this justified? Because he matched a vague description of someone who might have had a gun? That's absurd! They searched him and found he was unarmed, and then proceeded to handcuff him. He's a child, half the size of the two officers present, and he was so terrified he pissed his pants. In what world do grown men need to restrain a frightened little boy? He was not a threat to them, and exhibited no aggressive behavior.
It's unfortunate that the kid was so scared, but neither the story nor video really give enough information to say whether or not the police acted irresponsibly. The video showed are of the kid sitting on the car while the cops talk on the radio, they don't seem to be using any excessive force.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's unfortunate that the kid was so scared, but neither the story nor video really give enough information to say whether or not the police acted irresponsibly. The video showed are of the kid sitting on the car while the cops talk on the radio, they don't seem to be using any excessive force.
Do you really think they'd have bothered to handcuff a white kid if he'd matched the same vague description like a "white kid dressed in all blue"? No, they wouldn't have, because that's not enough reason to handcuff a child. Not when they didn't find any weapon in that child's possession. I doubt even it would even be cause to handcuff an adult based on such a vague description.

Let's see, there was 1. No warrant, 2. the officers were no in danger from an unarmed child, 3. the child was not taken into police custody, and 4. there was no probable cause to place the child under arrest.

The child should not have been in handcuffs. There was no reason for that.

I want to point out that sometimes a person is so freaked out that they become a danger to themselves, and being restrained is for their safety. But, you've already gotten you mind made up about this, even though, as has been pointed out, we don't have all the story to go along with what happened.

We were prevented from using handcuffs on our kids (and on a 10 year old? NFW), and not all of it was due to concerns over injury to the child. Some of it was just practical - most duty cuffs are too big for kids of that age.

figmentPez

Staff member
I want to point out that sometimes a person is so freaked out that they become a danger to themselves, and being restrained is for their safety. But, you've already gotten you mind made up about this, even though, as has been pointed out, we don't have all the story to go along with what happened.
If the child had been restrained for his own safety, that's the story the police would have told to the press. They wouldn't have gone with "they handcuffed the kid for safety reasons because he did match that description." (source) We've been told why they handcuffed him, because he matched the vague description of a suspect. This was said in a press briefing by the Chicago Police Superintendent. "They followed all the rules and protocols that we have in place. So, I’m not concerned about that at all. " Well, of course they did. Those rules and regulations are written with adults in mind, and no one who wrote them or reviewed them would have thought grown-ass police officers would be so terrified of a child half their size that they'd choose to put him in handcuffs when the rules don't dictate that they have to, but merely give them the option.

If this child had been restrained to prevent him from harming himself, that quote would have read "they handcuffed the kid for safety reasons, to prevent him from harming himself or others." They know damn well this kid was not acting in a manner that would necessitate restraint, and we can know that because they're not even trying to claim it was for the child's protection.

Last edited:
There are cuffs made for juveniles, though 10 years old is on the low-end of the suggested age range. Most of the time the suggested means of securing a suspect that young/small is to use "disposable" restraints - aka "Ty-Raps."

Which does NOT look good to the optics when you actually use them.