[TV] Supergirl

There were a lot of Superman: The Movie references.

Mostly great episode. The playful bits between cousins was great, lots of interesting stuff, and apparently some bits of Superman: The Movie happened in this continuity.

My one issue was the spontaneous 180 on the Kara/Jimmy thing. I know for the people making the show, a lot of time has passed, but in-show it's been about two days, so for all that build up about love, suddenly it can't work or something?

These two episodes have been really good, except for what the hell is going on with Jimmy Olsen?

Two episodes ago, he was an art director and finally going to try dating Supergirl, and now they have zero interest in each other and with a throwaway line, he's a CEO. Maybe this is just the beginning of more rapid changes and in future episodes it'll be like in the silver age comics so that he's being transformed into various things in different episodes, like a giant monster or an other-dimensional biker.

Does anyone know how to change Youtube suggestions? Edit them, like you can on Amazon? A random video from a channel I don't even follow was displayed on my appearing on Youtube, solely because I've looked at Supergirl videos in the past, and just spoiled the big surprise when I haven't watched the episode yet.

EDIT: I deleted all Youtube cookies and that seemed to fix it. Wish I'd known that before.

Last edited:
Someone behind the camera of Supergirl has a soft spot for John Carpenter's The Thing, because the episode came front-loaded with it. I can't even say it was a bunch of references so much as a full-on homage.

Within this episode they showed how to handle a current issue and how not to handle one.

If that was an earnest attempt to address climate stuff, it was terrible. Like, Sonic the Hedgehog PSA terrible. I have to assume it was intentional, because when the doctor starts a spontaneous monologue about it, Alex and J'onn just stare at him like "um ... okay."

All of Alex's stuff was really good and showed more of who she was in the first season, intent on being the tough one when she's really the one who feels more heavily.

Yeah, that delivery/dialog was pretty weak. They've been doing well, so I guess there's bound to be a clunker once in a while.
It just ... doesn't make sense in this context. And he just throws it into the scene like a piece of garbage at Kara's feet.

The show's been consistently better this season; the only thing bugging me is James/Win's whole thing going on, but that's not the show doing it badly, it's just those two being idiots. If that was a dealbreaker, I'd have had to stop watching The Flash due to Barry :p.

Win is really the only one that bus me, not the actor or his acting, just the trope of the mega genius computer guy.

Seriously if you are that good, you would not be resetting routers at Catco.

Win is really the only one that bus me, not the actor or his acting, just the trope of the mega genius computer guy.

Same with Felicity on Arrow and Cisco on Flash, though at least for those two we've seen parallel timelines where they're both super successful CEOs of their own tech companies.

Same with Felicity on Arrow and Cisco on Flash, though at least for those two we've seen parallel timelines where they're both super successful CEOs of their own tech companies.
Cisco was working at one of the world's most prestigious research labs. Nothing wrong with that.

He's now chasing aliens with the DEO, and making super suits for anyone that asks.

Cisco was working at one of the world's most prestigious research labs. Nothing wrong with that.
And hasn't left three years after the place stopped being important. Harrison Wells was dragged through the mud, not Cisco. The stuff he creates each week could net millions.

And hasn't left three years after the place stopped being important. Harrison Wells was dragged through the mud, not Cisco. The stuff he creates each week could net millions.
He kind of helped kill his friend's fiancee... and after it turned out he didn't, he got the opportunity to play with the speed force.

EDIT: Oh, and didn't Felicity go to Queen Tech or whatever after her black hat days ended badly, as some sort of lying low?

He kind of helped kill his friend's fiancee... and after it turned out he didn't, he got the opportunity to play with the speed force.

EDIT: Oh, and didn't Felicity go to Queen Tech or whatever after her black hat days ended badly, as some sort of lying low?
I don't watch Arrow, but on Legends of Tomorrow it shows that in the future Felicity starts her own tech company and takes over Ray Palmer's assets.

I don't watch Arrow, but on Legends of Tomorrow it shows that in the future Felicity starts her own tech company and takes over Ray Palmer's assets.
Meh, it's not like the future is set in stone in a show about time traveling superheroes.

It was also pre- the professor having a new daughter...

It's a wonder time isn't completely screwed up really... esp since that's what the heroes have done while trying to keep things under control...

It was also pre- the professor having a new daughter...

It's a wonder time isn't completely screwed up really... esp since that's what the heroes have done while trying to keep things under control...
Time seems to be screwy anyway considering how much each episode breaks other episodes rules, so maybe time isn't as fragile and sacred as the Legends talk it up to be.

This last episode of Supergirl, I was fucking cackling.

Alex: "I set bombs all over this place on the way in. Stop or I blow this place to hell."
Lilian Luthor: "You're bluffing."
Me and wife: "She's bluffing."
Alex: *hits the switch*

Fucking explosions everywhere!

And then ...

Alex: "Stop or I detonate the rest of the bombs."
Lilian Luthor: "Now you're bluffing for real."
Me and wife: "Yeah, she doesn't have more."
Alex: *drops the detonator*

BOOM! BOOM! Every fucking where!

Alex: "I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I? I WARNED YOU NOT TO FUCK WITH ME! NOW YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK WITH ME! I WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN!"

And then running the hell out of there to save everyone while her bombs continue to explode and tear Cadimus apart.

That was magic. Supergirl can be all pure and shit, but I'm so glad Alex exists to do this shit. :D

This last episode of Supergirl, I was fucking cackling.

Alex: "I set bombs all over this place on the way in. Stop or I blow this place to hell."
Lilian Luthor: "You're bluffing."
Me and wife: "She's bluffing."
Alex: *hits the switch*

Fucking explosions everywhere!

And then ...

Alex: "Stop or I detonate the rest of the bombs."
Lilian Luthor: "Now you're bluffing for real."
Me and wife: "Yeah, she doesn't have more."
Alex: *drops the detonator*

BOOM! BOOM! Every fucking where!

Alex: "I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I? I WARNED YOU NOT TO FUCK WITH ME! NOW YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK WITH ME! I WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN!"

And then running the hell out of there to save everyone while her bombs continue to explode and tear Cadimus apart.

That was magic. Supergirl can be all pure and shit, but I'm so glad Alex exists to do this shit. :D
So have they finally had Alex stop being a shitty person to everyone except Kara and the woman she wants to sleep/is sleeping with? Or am I going to start watching again only to get to a Christmas special where she gets angry and tries to ruin dinner because people are not having issues with her coming out?

I miss the show being on CBS. Mostly for Kat Grant, but also for how much better written the supporting casts and B plots were. Also the show being set during the day, and Kara's random acts of kindness/super-heroics.

So have they finally had Alex stop being a shitty person to everyone except Kara and the woman she wants to sleep/is sleeping with? Or am I going to start watching again only to get to a Christmas special where she gets angry and tries to ruin dinner because people are not having issues with her coming out?

I miss the show being on CBS. Mostly for Kat Grant, but also for how much better written the supporting casts and B plots were. Also the show being set during the day, and Kara's random acts of kindness/super-heroics.
I don't have the same opinion on the characters as you, so I can't really help you that way. My only annoyance has been M'gann's actress's flat acting and Winn/James "we can be heroes too!" Though this episode the Guardian did good.

Next week guest stars Kevin Sorbo for some reason. :confused:

If it makes you feel better I completely forgot that they introduced Miss Martian. That's how bad the subplots have been.

If it makes you feel better I completely forgot that they introduced Miss Martian. That's how bad the subplots have been.
I think the show is better in season 2 overall, but I wish it could get the kind of internal connection that works on Flash. I end up forgetting there are subplots on that show because everyone's lives are interconnected, but on Supergirl everyone's all over the place, so we switch around to Plot A and Plot B and it feels like you could cut one and the other wouldn't be affected. I enjoy Supergirl, but I never get as invested in an episode as when the Flash. This last one was one of the better episodes, but I thought the show was doing fine up until the mid-season break, and then has kind of been coasting since post-Christmas.

I thought that arc played would have been more fun if Winn became the costumed hero -- a new version of the Toyman.
Yeah, but Winn has a role as tech guy, and since Kara was reporting to the newspaper guy, James couldn't really take up Cat Grant's place. He also wasn't the love interest anymore for non-reasons. The showrunners had to find something for him to do.

Yeah, but Winn has a role as tech guy, and since Kara was reporting to the newspaper guy, James couldn't really take up Cat Grant's place. He also wasn't the love interest anymore for non-reasons. The showrunners had to find something for him to do.
Someone's got to end up getting turned into a giant turtle man.