[TV] Supergirl

Hank Henshaw -- Wow. I did not see that reveal coming. That was certainly a King Shark level moment.

J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter
Totally agree, was waiting for the expected reveal with a character named Hank Henshaw. This show just got world's better. At this point I am fine with them letting Berlanti do whatever he wants with the DC characters... he gets them.

Totally agree, was waiting for the expected reveal with a character named Hank Henshaw. This show just got world's better. At this point I am fine with them letting Berlanti do whatever he wants with the DC characters... he gets them.
And this still leaves the door open for Hank Henshaw to do his thing later...

Hank Henshaw -- Wow. I did not see that reveal coming. That was certainly a King Shark level moment.

J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter

Yeah, when he mentioned the "s-word" i was all "wait... he doesn't mean... OMG... NAISSSSSS"

Since I just watched the last episode that's discussed here, this seems like the right point of thread resurrection. Just gotta do a little pasting and ...

I stayed spoiler-free, so Episode 7's twist was a surprise to me. And considering I was expecting someone else (because of the character's name) and got one of my favorite characters instead, I'm probably biased, but I think the show really took off from that point. :D A lot more story possibilities opened up.
As I was hoping, my wife was overjoyed :D. She kind of predicted it though, but she wasn't sure until just before it was revealed.

I loved Human for a Day. It's a jam packed episode too.
Only part of the episode I didn't like was Win (Wyn? spelling?) and his nice guy bullshit. Oh boo hoo, James and Kara hugged. 1. You know she likes him, 2. they were hugging they are friends, friends do that and you'd know if you had any, and 3. even if something was going on, it's none of your fucking business. "I'm disappointed in Kara," fuck you, Win. I really hope this potato sack never becomes the love interest.

But other than that, yeah, a lot of good stuff going on. I usually hate "I lost my powers" episodes of things, but this one was pretty solid. The DEO subplot was fine, and Kara had some excellent moments. Melissa Benoist has really been the strongest part of the show. I appreciate that the title of the episode didn't bother patronizing the viewer. The robbery scene was great and I loved how Kara reacted to it afterward back at the office. Between this and last episode, Cat is growing on me. Before it felt like the actress was fighting the script; now some equilibrium seems to have been reached.

That'll probably be it for the night, looking forward to what goes on next though.

BAM! Now this thread can plow ahead with continued discussion of season 1 and be set for season 2 ... just like me!

On ep13 of s1, and it's an adaptation of For The Man Who Has Everything. Season's gotten pretty solid up to this point, now to see if they do as well as Justice League did.
You're gonna finish it before I get halfway :p.

I'm just good so long as I finish it before Luke Cage gets on Netflix, so we can finish that before The Flash season 2 hits Netflix, so we can finish that in close proximity to the new seasons starting and pray that my new computer is powerful enough to overcome the garbage that is the CW website so we can actually keep up with The Flash and Supergirl while they're airing.

I have a plan!

But you have us and multiple threads to talk about your binge-watching!

I usually binge solo, too, and Mr. Z ends up watching later (if at all), so I feel your pain.

Hey, I'm guilty too. I binged Breaking Bad two years ago and have been struggling to get my wife to watch it all. At this point it's like an episode a month.

Supergirl, episode 8. What baby boomer wrote the Catco plot? Print all the emails--the most inefficient possible way of searching through them all. Put the hacker gizmo in the computer ... monitor. Yeah, that'll do it.

But the actual important stuff in the episode was solid. I'm glad they decided to quit hitting the reset button on Cat's character development. Supergirl really has a lot more shit to deal with since she can actually remember Krypton (and wow, that confrontation with the hologram; I knew that thing was going to be a problem later emotionally).
Also:

I love how she says this so dismissively, as if that's the most obvious fact that everyone should know.

Last edited:
Also, watched episode 9 tonight.

I really wish they hadn't backpedaled on
Cat figuring out Kara is Supergirl

It was a nice moment the previous episode, and I feel like they ditched the emotional relevance for a clever but unnecessary moment near the end of the next episode.

Episode 10 was good but frustrating. I really think the episode could've hung on the whole Toyman plot, rather than rushing in the infiltration plot as well. Took some of the wind out of the climax at the toy convention, like it had to be done in a hurry.

If this was Win's big moment, I'm still of the opinion that he needs to grow up. Yeah, sometimes people fall for their friends. And if their friends don't reciprocate, it's weird for a little, but then you move on with your life like an adult. Gotta give credit to the show for not throwing in the "just give him a chance" crap. In fact, I'd appreciate more scenes of the sisters just being people like at the end of this episode.

Also

Every time Kara or Alex tried to convince J'onn that he could be his true self, J'onn's reason should've been "We don't have the budget for that." :D

We watched episode 11 last night. That was my favorite episode so far. I like that each time Supergirl showed up, the baddie tried to run ASAP like "welp, that's out of my league!" It was good to see more of you-kn0w-who's stuff and Supergirl's plea at the end was great.

The Cat story was good too. She's growing on me.

"She's available!" :D Of course, in usual superhero fashion, something bad is going to happen to either cancel or interrupt the date.

I've been quiet, probably because we took a couple nights' break, but also because the last few episodes were really good and we just kept rolling.

I was dreading the Bizarro episodes, but that was really well done. For the Girl Who Has Everything makes more sense than the Superman version since Clark has zero memory of Krypton. I can't see his ideal fantasy being anything but Pa Kent being alive while he hangs out on the farm and is married to Lois, but Kara's fantasy being Krypton makes perfect sense.

But then we got to "Solitude" and the baby boomer writer is back again. Somehow this hacker virus attacked "the mainframe." I was looking forward to

Braniac

Because I've only seen the character's incarnations appear in the DCAU, but the actor was awful and even this version of the idea was terrible.

And then ... the last few minutes of the episode were excellent.

Kara and James scene; I appreciate that she was honest with him, but also gave him the go-ahead. And then, it didn't matter because Lucy sees that Supergirl isn't the problem, so James's explanation would just make it worse if it wasn't over. And I'm glad it's over because they never really seemed to like each other. But her shutdown was great.

Then, Kara forgives J'onn, and Alex reveals she's the one who killed Astra, and just breaks. I know it was the guilt eating at her and she's relieved, but it almost looked like Kara was going to storm past her. Instead she takes on the role of big sister for a change because of just how badly Alex needed it then, and holding J'onn's hand ...

I wish those last few minutes had been the end to a stronger episode. The Fortress of Solitude was cool, and I liked that the little robot helper was old hat to Kara. Clark was probably more freaked out by it.

Assistance please from those who've watched it--when the World's Finest episode pops up, is it okay to not be caught up on The Flash yet? We're only halfway through season 2 (just past the Christmas episode) and can't proceed until it hits Netflix. Are there any spoilers for late-season 2 Flash or can we just keep watching?

I wouldn't say there's any major spoilers, Barry falls into their universe while working on getting faster. I don't think he really mentions anything specific about the story Flash was telling at the time.

World's Finest aired much earlier than the corresponding Flash episode. You'll be fine. Especially if you've started season 2.

I wouldn't say there's any major spoilers, Barry falls into their universe while working on getting faster. I don't think he really mentions anything specific about the story Flash was telling at the time.
Cool; thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1474515008,1474514921][/DOUBLEPOST]
World's Finest aired much earlier than the corresponding Flash episode. You'll be fine. Especially if you've started season 2.
Yeah, we got a ways in before falling too far behind to keep up with CW.com. The last episode we saw was when

Iris and Wally's mom died

Hopefully when they do the triple crossover in these seasons they get the timing sorted out.

Cool; thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1474515008,1474514921][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, we got a ways in before falling too far behind to keep up with CW.com. The last episode we saw was when

Iris and Wally's mom died

Hopefully when they do the triple crossover in these seasons they get the timing sorted out.
It will, as it will be an actual crossover. No one from Supergirl makes their way into Flash, it's just you don't see what leads Barry to their Earth until much later in the season, and then it gets like one line tops.

Props to the show for utilizing red kryptonite this way, showing it as a mind-altering drug or an onset of mental illness. J'onn and Alex react like mature adults who understand this isn't Kara, and everyone else reacts the way people normally do n real life when someone is having this kind of problem.

Next episode ... kinda of stupid stuff, but I see that was just a means to and end in setting up stuff for another season.

Tomorrow, the crossover!

World's Finest: AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH that was so fucking great!

The two of them geeking out over each other's worlds, and the hilarious little moments, and them both zipping off together--so much fun! That was definitely my favorite episode. There were so many cute bits, and just, James the Jelly was funny, and Cat's hint that yeah, she still knows after the MM reveal.

They even took that dumb scene from the end of the first Spider-man movie and made good on it. Such an awesome episode.

We'll finish the season tomorrow with the last two episodes.

Season 1 done!

I'm not going to nitpick any of the dumb stuff, except that there was no reason to bring Superman into it just to drop him. The excuse that he was off-world would've been fine, having him affected by Myriad didn't make any sense.

I want to hear your position on Cat at the end of the season.
Cat definitely grew on me and I think her being terrible early on was just a symptom of the show not being good for the first handful of episodes. Now I'm bummed that they could only get Calista Flockhart back for six episodes of season 2. I guess it's a good thing they wrote them apart a little at the end of season 1, since they're going to have to use Cat sparingly. But if they could get through season 1 with Superman existing as instant messaging and boots on a table, they'll figure it out.

Cat was probably the strongest part of the finale. I didn't really feel Supergirl's dilemma so much as the growth of that relationship. Though it still irritates me that she doesn't know Supergirl is Kara. I really wish they hadn't U-turned on that, especially now that a shapeshifting alien ally of Supergirl was seen in public. Her scene revealing she knew was so good.

Max Lord ... oh boy.

Couple end of episode things:
Is that pod supposed to be Kon-El?

If they're doing Project Cadmus, I'm wondering if Amanda Waller is going to show up. Because if they have to cast her, that's going to be the one thing the movies have an advantage of over the shows, as Viola Davis was perfect for the character.

I'm guessing the military gave Max Lord the Krypton power source to make a better energy source for Earth. Can't wait to see that backfire.

Looking forward to season 2 starting on the 11th, though since I'll be watching on CW.com, I probably won't be able to watch until the 12th.

I'm pretty sure Supes at the end was just to troll the audience.

Not going to lie, I really hope it's Krypto.

I'm pretty sure Supes at the end was just to troll the audience.

Not going to lie, I really hope it's Krypto.
Holy shit, I wish. I'd prefer that over what I thought.

It's so funny to me that 30 years after Crisis, the shows are going back to the pre-Crisis stuff like colors of kryptonite, the multiverse, etc. I'm happy for it; it's just funny the differing perspectives of making these shows versus the direction the movies have gone within the same time frame.

They've confirmed Superman for this season. This is just one article about it that's rather recent: http://tvline.com/2016/09/12/supergirl-season-2-premiere-photos/

Too bad about not Cat every episode. And I fully expect her to 100% figure it out soon given the shapeshifting. Honestly, I was more hoping for her to confirm it. I think it'd be interesting to have a work situation where it's still "under the table" for most at the place of business, but there's boss support. Cat's smart, she'd be an asset being "all the way in" for this.

But OTOH, they may want a different dynamic than at The Flash, where there's "the team" who's always in support. Having to keep a secret from at least one primary cast member gives it a different dynamic.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/2...2?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Clip of Superman & Supergirl in action together. And it's the first time in a long time that I've seen a Clark/Superman act like he should.

And...and...I don't understand. He asks if she wants a hand and she says yes? But...where's the "No! I can handle this! I don't need you!" dumb angst?! What kind of wonderfulness is this?

Maybe I should get around to watching the first season of this. I only watched the Flash crossover.

figmentPez

Staff member
"This looks like a job for the both of us." :D

I've gotta say, I wasn't too thrilled with the first pics I saw of Tyler Hoechlin as Sueprman, but if this is the way they're going to write him, I'm down. He makes a damn good Clark Kent.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/2...2?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Clip of Superman & Supergirl in action together. And it's the first time in a long time that I've seen a Clark/Superman act like he should.

And...and...I don't understand. He asks if she wants a hand and she says yes? But...where's the "No! I can handle this! I don't need you!" dumb angst?! What kind of wonderfulness is this?

Maybe I should get around to watching the first season of this. I only watched the Flash crossover.
The first few episodes are rough, but it gets much better.

I'm hoping for season 2 we can get some better performances out of whoever's going to play the villains. Astra, Non, and Indigo were being out-acted by Kara and J'onn every time they met up.