[TV] Supergirl

CBS released this today:

I can't say I'm terribly impressed, seems like it's a little too heavy on the teen girl drama (but maybe that's what they're going for). It honestly feels like the parody SNL video of Black Widow's movie.

It actually doesn't look too bad. The "drama" may be CollegeTeen-level, but at least the series maturity is a few levels above "That's So Raven," for instance. It could become the grown-up version of "The Secret Life of Alex Mack."

--Patrick

I'm sure I'll end up giving it a couple episodes to see if it's any good, but it definitely hasn't struck me as the Flash previews did (and man does that show deliver).

So this is same universe as Man Of steel, right? But Flash and Arrow would still be different unless they decide to change that down the road. Between this and the MarvelCU this is almost becoming as hard to keep up with as actual comics.

So this is same universe as Man Of steel, right? But Flash and Arrow would still be different unless they decide to change that down the road. Between this and the MarvelCU this is almost becoming as hard to keep up with as actual comics.
DC/WB movies and television universes are completely separate from each other, so..nope... nothing to do with Man of Steel (honestly the bright colors should have given it away). It could cross into the CW shows (Arrow; Flash; Legends ) but not the movies.

Meh. Neither Arrow or Flash did it for me, and this is by the same creative teams right? I don't know. Probably a pass for me.

Yeah, the first look wasn't terrible, but it had some iffy parts. I've give the first few episodes a try.

Personally, I'm curious to see how things turn out with the guy that Kara confides her secret identity to. That's supposed to be Winslow Schott, better known as the Superman villain Toyman.

Like most super hero tv shows, the cheap special effects just don't do it for me.

At least it'll be better than Powers, which none of us will ever speak of again.

fade

Staff member
Meh. Neither Arrow or Flash did it for me, and this is by the same creative teams right? I don't know. Probably a pass for me.
I'm still surprised you didn't go for Arrow. The Flash I can understand--it's far cornier, and it's disappointing for a Flash fan. But Arrow (well, the first two seasons anyway) were pretty good.

I'm still surprised you didn't go for Arrow. The Flash I can understand--it's far cornier, and it's disappointing for a Flash fan. But Arrow (well, the first two seasons anyway) were pretty good.
Yeah, I really don't know. I'm even more surprised by Flash because it seems like everyone is loving it.

I too am surprised that you don't like Flash. It's just great, and as a Flash fan, not disappointing to me at all. Flash has never been gritty and realistic and was a little corny. I wouldn't like the show as much as I do if it wasn't a touch corny.

As for the Supergirl show, I noted this in the comic book news thread. Supergirl looks like she'll be a better Superman than Superman currently.

fade

Staff member
Two tropes I could do without: 1) I just want to be normal! and 2) The general public can't handle finding out about X![DOUBLEPOST=1431611047,1431610853][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait, wut? Are you saying this as a personal disappointment? Because I know that I'm a Flash fan, and I think it's absolutely fantastic. This is what I want the Flash to be.
Well, of course. I can't really speak for everyone. Why are you guys assuming I want him to be dark and gritty? I just don't find the actor appealing, and don't think the portrayal is very Barry-like. The bad guys lack most of the appeal of the Rogues. I admit I didn't make it more than like 5 episodes in, but if it takes more than that, I think I'm a little justified. Really, though, it's mostly the acting and the lack of chemistry I find unappealing.

Last edited:
I don't know what show you're watching, but Barry certainly doesn't whine about not being normal. He actually revels in his power and has fun with it most the time.

I'm not even sure what you're referring in point 2.

fade

Staff member
I don't know what show you're watching, but Barry certainly doesn't whine about not being normal. He actually revels in his power and has fun with it most the time.

I'm not even sure what you're referring in point 2.
That was about the Supergirl trailer.

Wait, was I supposed to be disappointed by the Flash?

Supergirl trailer looked pretty good. Considering these first looks are usually made mostly from the pilot, I'm pretty excited for it. College-teen-girl drama on a show about a young girl with a world famous cousin trying to make her own way in the world? I can't imagine why they would go that route.

And the problem with that was....?

The one thing that surprised me was that it was CBS that picked this up.

Supergirl doesn't look too bad. I'll probably plan to give it a shot, then forget to watch it, let it get too far ahead for me to watch the first episodes on the website, plan to watch it when it comes on Netflix, add it to my watch list once it goes on Netflix, and then months later still fail to begin watching it ...

On a related note, I really need to start Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at some point.

Ok, sure, a bit of teen drama, but...This looks and sounds pretty much exactly the way a "modern" Superman story could go as far as I'm concerned. I thought it was a movie at first and thought, wow, cheap effects; then it turned out to be a tv show, I was OK with them. I could see myself liking this show far more and more easily than Man of Steel :p

When Superman Returns came out, I felt that they would have done better with the cast of Smallville. But still they would have needed a better script than Routh had to work with.

When Superman Returns came out, I felt that they would have done better with the cast of Smallville. But still they would have needed a better script than Routh had to work with.
That's the thing about Superman Returns. I LOVED Brandon Routh's performance. If the movie wasn't boring as hell with the usual "Lex wants property" generic storyline, I would have loved it.[DOUBLEPOST=1431704157,1431704123][/DOUBLEPOST]Well, I do have to add that the "superkid" went a long way towards negatively coloring that movie for me.

That's the thing about Superman Returns. I LOVED Brandon Routh's performance. If the movie wasn't boring as hell with the usual "Lex wants property" generic storyline, I would have loved it.[DOUBLEPOST=1431704157,1431704123][/DOUBLEPOST]Well, I do have to add that the "superkid" went a long way towards negatively coloring that movie for me.
Just like the other Superman movies at that point it was excellently cast, and burdened by a bad script. In Returns case it was burdened by half the script being taken directly from the Donner films and the other half being straight up garbage.

I've enjoyed Routh immensely in everything else I've seen him in, so sad to realize that he could have been a great Superman, given a better script and some hair dye.

He's a lot of fun in the CW shows as Ray Palmer, and I thought he was hilarious in Zack and Miri. It's exactly what you said, the guy just got burned by a bad script, but I think he did the best he could with it.

I enjoyed Routh's Superman more than Welling's or Cavill's. Granted, I gave up on Smallville during Season 1 (too teeny-drama for me), but I felt like Welling didn't have a lot of range, though he was good at the "aw, shucks" parts of Clark Kent. A lot of the time he came off as a little to much like a Zoolander male model; pretty but usually looks confused. Meanwhile, Cavill's Superman feels very...cold to me. Like he was raised by Brando's Jor-El instead of the Kents. (Any Kents-pick your favorite.) I think Routh's Superman would be celebrated more if the script hadn't been so weak (and the kid thing....ugh.) His Clark wasn't too corny and his Superman wasn't too grim.

figmentPez

Staff member
It wasn't bad. But after the 1st season ended, it took off in a direction other than what I'd been hoping.
I think various seasons and episodes took off in about 20 different directions that I hated. Still, on the whole, I enjoyed it more than I was frustrated by it. There was a lot of good there, and some of the episodes were absolutely fantastic. It was a mixed bag, and not what I most wanted in a Superman series, but it was fun.

I always liked Reeve, I think he was the best at the rift in personality between Supes/Kent. He managed to look small and meek as Kent, but big and powerful (as best as he could) as Supes.