stienman has 9.9 kids today and wants to talk in the third person, Ask Him Anything!

stienman, known to friends and family as "Adam" or "dad" or "hey you", has designated this brief period of time before welcoming his 10th child into his family as an opportunity to get to be known by you, as it is likely he will be inattentive to your needs once his baby arrives.

The first person to catch him speaking about himself in the first person within this thread wins a prize!

The prize is not a baby!

Probably!

What will stienman do once he's got a boy and girl with names startign with every letter of the alphabet?

Could he kindly explain his job in greater detail? What, exactly, does he do all day?

#10's a girl. Does he intend to strive towards parity and keep trying until he's got the same amount of boys and girls (biologically speaking, I guess)?

What will stienman do once he's got a boy and girl with names startign with every letter of the alphabet?
He's considering branching out into umlauts and other diacritics.

Could he kindly explain his job in greater detail? What, exactly, does he do all day?
Stienman develops electronic devices, usually employing microcontrollers (small single chip computers). So on any given day he may be designing circuitry, programming them, or debugging them. He also does some app development (iOS and Android), and has been known to write software for computers, though usually at a lower level such as display or printer drivers.

These days he's working on a bluetooth device, a consumer EEG device (also bluetooth), and recently wrapped up an iOS app (an email archive search app for a big company), and EEG analysis software (two EEG projects are completely unrelated).

He's looking for more contract work, so if you know anyone who needs electronic device or software engineering let him know.

He prefers very powerful machines with two or more 4k displays, trackballs, and alternating sitting and standing, with a stationary desk and a tall chair. Generally he works from home, but sometimes clients have him work onsite, particularly for longer term contracts.

#10's a girl. Does he intend to strive towards parity and keep trying until he's got the same amount of boys and girls (biologically speaking, I guess)?
He expects to run into biological barriers long before parity is achieved, and has a pretty strong determination to not have kids who are younger than any grandchildren.

1) Stienman posted a while back about one of his sons struggling with bullying and autism, and expressing willingness and/or desire to hurt himself. Does he feel like providing an update on their struggles, and how the family is coping?

2) Has steinman done any programming for networked devices? My father's company occasionally has need of someone to write apps to track their clients' extruder output logs and report back to the mothership for QA purposes. They seem to prefer electronic data to flying a person to the client's site to read the logs and troubleshoot - I can't imagine why, but suspect it may have something to do with one of their main clients being located in the Czech Republic.

1) Stienman posted a while back about one of his sons struggling with bullying and autism, and expressing willingness and/or desire to hurt himself. Does he feel like providing an update on their struggles, and how the family is coping?
Stienman's son in question is doing better, and changes are being pursued slowly. No change in medication for now, but a change in therapy has given everyone involved a better perspective and a few more tools. In particular it doesn't yet appear to be a serious call for self harm, but his parents are proceeding under the assumption that it'll eventually turn into one without effort on their and his parts.

He is currently testing us to see if we notice him - disappearing and seeing if we look for him. It's easy to feel lost in a large family, so stienman is now spending one on one time with each child on a regular basis - movies, games, outdoor activites, etc.

2) Has steinman done any programming for networked devices? My father's company occasionally has need of someone to write apps to track their clients' extruder output logs and report back to the mothership for QA purposes. They seem to prefer electronic data to flying a person to the client's site to read the logs and troubleshoot - I can't imagine why, but suspect it may have something to do with one of their main clients being located in the Czech Republic.
Yes, it's essentially a form of telemetry, which is something stienman has done many times over the last few decades. If the machine already has a network interface and an API it's fairly easy. If not it can be a little more challenging, but he can add intelligence to dumb machines or reverse engineer unknown protocols on smart machines to obtain status information.

Usually that's the easy part. Getting the machine configured and talking on a network can be a challenge, and often what's done is a local machine with an app is used to gather the data, then send it to a web server, which can either report the logs/status directly, or then be pushed down to another app or database elsewhere, or send alerts (text, email, etc). In such cases stienman has written both the apps and the server portion.

He is currently testing us to see if we notice him - disappearing and seeing if we look for him. It's easy to feel lost in a large family, so stienman is now spending one on one time with each child on a regular basis - movies, games, outdoor activites, etc.
Does the stienman family feel like they are in a good place right now? Geographically, I mean. Is there sufficient room for expansion and to spread out so as to minimize conflict generated by crowding?

--Patrick

Stienman is disappointed he broke the third person rule, and will now have to create a prize.

Does the stienman family feel like they are in a good place right now? Geographically, I mean. Is there sufficient room for expansion and to spread out so as to minimize conflict generated by crowding?

--Patrick
He really likes where he and his family are living, and is glad it is warmer so the kids can go outside more often and stay outside longer. Even so, there are 5 fairly distinct communal areas inside the house (apart from the 5 bedrooms - kitchen/dining, front room, back room, basement, sunroom), and plenty of play and entertainment options, so crowding shouldn't be a big problem. He acknowledges, though, that his response to a kid reporting that "[smaller child] is bugging me!" is usually something along the lines of "Learn to deal with it!" and so it could be a bigger problem than recognized simply because the older kids know there's not a lot their parents are going to do to relieve the pressure for them.

Taylor Swift or Katy Perry?

What is Stienman's favorite tiger color, orange or white? Does stienman have a favorite tiger?