[TV] Steven Universe (spoilers)

Also, the early reactions are encouraging:

Steven Universe: The Movie Is a Mindblowingly Heartfelt, Musical Masterpiece (io9)
‘Steven Universe: The Movie’ Review: A Beautiful, Reflective Gem (Forbes)
Steven Universe: The Movie Review (Spoiler-Free) (Den of Geek)

That's CLEARLY a Toonami promo. I guess they finally got a clue and actually started promoting during Toonami.

CN has a lot of stuff that would work better on adultSwim/Toonami and I just don't get why they aren't more willing to produce stuff for the timeslot.

Steven Universe movie was FUN on the bun, loved the villain!
Or in SU's case, YET ANOTHER of Rose's subjects who went to a VERY dark place without her.
Pink Diamond was a monster.

But loved the songs! I kinda missed the younger Steven, but

The whole theme of the movie is how that kind of thinking doesn't do you any favors, that we have to change.

Steven Universe movie was FUN on the bun, loved the villain!
Or in SU's case, YET ANOTHER of Rose's subjects who went to a VERY dark place without her.
"I can't believe my mother would do this... no, I can believe this is EXACTLY the kind of thing she'd do."

Steven has had ENOUGH of his mom's shit and it's about god damn time.

Also, Steg (I hate the name, just call him Universe!) was amazing.

Sorry, our dvd didn't record it originally, so I had to wait for tonight! I also avoided all spoilers including the SDCC panel so I could see it with fresh eyes

I thought it was interesting how Spinel could be an allegory for romantic relationships. That heady, always-togetherness in the beginning, then one partner losing interest, and then just ghosting. Despite her cartoonish mannerisms, I thought the pain and anger that Spinel showed as the spurned partner was palpable. Been there, although I never literally went "scorched earth". I do wonder, however, given their personalities, if the Diamonds will be a healthy relationship for Spinel, or an unhealthly rebound. They're giving her the relationship she wants, but is it really going to allow her to grow and change, which is the point of the whole movie?

That's weird because i got a completely different outlook.

Spinel was basically pink diamonds toy. Pink diamond moving on was more an allegory on our desire to grow up and throw away the things that make us feel childish.

She basically shoved Spinel into the toy box, never planning to revisit her, which matches with the diamonds old outlook that other gems are commodities, rather then actual people. I didn't see anything romantic in the relationship, just a one sided friendship where pink saw Spinel as something the other diamonds would tease her for, like an old teddy bear.

Her getting her colony was pink diamonds moving off to college moment.

I do feel it's a testament to the strong writing that people can see such different perspectives.

I appreciate the crux of her character was essentially "Nothing you can do will ever make this right" and even Steven had to basically go "I know. I'm sorry this happened, but you gotta let it go". In the end, Spinel was doing this stuff to herself, even if it was justified. She let that bad friendship RUIN HER and to be frank, I know what that's like. I know what it's like to never want to open up to someone else again and curse the person who did this to you and I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to care about someone like that again. To be made to feel disposable is... one of the worst things people can do to you. I relate to Spinel more than I want to admit, really.

I kind of wish Spinel and Pearl had gotten more time to interact. They have a lot in common, grief wise, but Pearl was finally able to move on and in doing so not only gained a new lease on her life, but a (seemingly) new close friend in Greg. Spinel could have learned a lot.

As for Spinel and the Diamonds... I think it will be alright, but it's still an awkward situation. Are they going to treat her like a pet? Does Spinel -want- that? Or are they all going to be united together in finally being able to move past this? Who can say until we get more details.

Of course, what -I- want right now are new season details. I still kind of hate that Steven let the Diamonds off the hook for... intergalatic genocide, really. How many species did they wipe out? Are their survivors? Is someone else from space going to attack Homeworld and try to take out the Diamonds... and if someone does, does Steven have a moral right to stop them?

One more thing about Spinel and the Diamonds.

I really don't think it will be that bad for her.

As much as the story is about being able to choose what you are and what you do, and how we all have the ability to change, Gems by nature are still born for specific roles, and those roles are always going to be a part of them in some form or another, no matter what other changes and growth they undertake.

Pearl may be free to make her own choices without a master, but she is still the organizer and "mother" of the group, due to her desire to serve as a Pearl. Garnat may be able to love who she wants, and even be a leader, but her core is that of a wise guide (Sapphire) that is also a staunch defender (Ruby). Bismuth is still a builder, Peridot is still a scientist. These are always going to be a core part of them, even if they go off and learn other things like gardening or cartoons. Unlike Steven, they are not kids, there is only so much change they can do.

Spinel, as we saw in the garden, was created to entertain. It's what she lived for, making Pink Diamond smile and keeping her laughing. While I don't think she will ever go back to how she was pre-abandonment, she still wants to make people happy. This is one reasons she didn't feel she could remain on Earth. It's not that she didn't feel Steven wouldn't forgive her, but the baggage of what she did was going to taint any attempt to go back to what she wanted to be, back to a fun-loving goofball.

Of course there is still the chance she makes the Diamonds bored just like PD was, but considering how Spinel herself changes on Earth, I am sure she understands when to pull it back, and may even use her new status as the Diamonds personal little "pink diamond replacement" to go off and make others laugh around Homeworld. She isn't going to rely on one person, or one set of people, ever again.

That is my take on it.

One more thing about Spinel and the Diamonds.

I really don't think it will be that bad for her.

As much as the story is about being able to choose what you are and what you do, and how we all have the ability to change, Gems by nature are still born for specific roles, and those roles are always going to be a part of them in some form or another, no matter what other changes and growth they undertake.

Pearl may be free to make her own choices without a master, but she is still the organizer and "mother" of the group, due to her desire to serve as a Pearl. Garnat may be able to love who she wants, and even be a leader, but her core is that of a wise guide (Sapphire) that is also a staunch defender (Ruby). Bismuth is still a builder, Peridot is still a scientist. These are always going to be a core part of them, even if they go off and learn other things like gardening or cartoons. Unlike Steven, they are not kids, there is only so much change they can do.

Spinel, as we saw in the garden, was created to entertain. It's what she lived for, making Pink Diamond smile and keeping her laughing. While I don't think she will ever go back to how she was pre-abandonment, she still wants to make people happy. This is one reasons she didn't feel she could remain on Earth. It's not that she didn't feel Steven wouldn't forgive her, but the baggage of what she did was going to taint any attempt to go back to what she wanted to be, back to a fun-loving goofball.

Of course there is still the chance she makes the Diamonds bored just like PD was, but considering how Spinel herself changes on Earth, I am sure she understands when to pull it back, and may even use her new status as the Diamonds personal little "pink diamond replacement" to go off and make others laugh around Homeworld. She isn't going to rely on one person, or one set of people, ever again.

That is my take on it.
Spinel: "So that thing with the Diamonds... didn't work out. Can I crash here?"

Steven: "Sure. Gem City's got lots of people and Gems to entertain. What do you want to do?"

Spinel: "The same stuff as before? ... Entertain people?"

Steven: "... I've got an idea. Dad?"

Greg: *openning his cellphone* "Way ahead of you, Sthu-ball."

Six months later, Spinel's on TV, doing a kid's show broadcast out of Gem City. Really, I think Greg being a MILLIONAIRE is probably what made Gem City possible to begin with.

I know one of the whole points of the show is redemption and forgiveness, but boy I don't like how easily the diamonds get off after millennia of mass murdering despotism.

I know one of the whole points of the show is redemption and forgiveness, but boy I don't like how easily the diamonds get off after millennia of mass murdering despotism.
Yeah... I kind of agree? I don't think Steven killing them would have been the right thing to do, but I kind of feel like if another Gem revolution happened or some aliens came after Homeworld (or fuck, if EARTH's Govenments decided to do it) I can't think of a morally justifiable reason why Steven should get involved.

Hopes for Steven Universe Future!

- Bismuth, Peridot, and Lapis take on Jasper! Because I think it would be better if they did it than say... Amethyst.
- Greg finally gets his due as a musician and manager! Maybe Homeworld really digs his Mr. Universe stuff and they put on a concert there?
- WATERMELON ISLAND FINALE!
- What's in the chest in the Pink dimension?
- Pearl goes on a fucking date and it's TERRIBLE.

I like it, but I really love "We Are the Crystal Gems" more.
I think one thing "Here We are in the Future" has going against it is that it feels like a small part of a bigger song, whereas the "We Are the Crystal Gems" feels self contained.

Speaking on songs, here are the performances from NYCC2019:

I caught an early look at this month's Kaboom issue... made this blank meme before someone else does!

SUmemeblank.jpg

SUmemeexample.jpg

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Someone edit the word balloon to say just "#StevenGalaxy" (That's the NSFW tag)*

*Disclaimer, I'm exhausted from opening night. This may not be funny.

Hot damn, eps 9 and 10 of SUF...were a LOT!

"Little Graduation" was pretty interesting from a genre perspective as well as some meta-commentary. People have complained about the story only being from Steven's perspective for a while, now we see it work towards the story's advantage in having Lars and Sadie gaining closure without him there. Its neat seeing this concept as alien to him, as for the past couple years Steven has been at the epicenter of drama and resolution, and to see people gain resolution without him, makes him realize that he's no longer the main character of the story, and that people all have their stories to tell and lives to live.

And the latter ep "Prickly Pair, shows he's just...NOT handling the change well. He wants to move on but emotionally he's not there yet, claiming to find solace in gardening but said hobby is more a crutch than a healthy coping mechanism. The kid literally makes a monster from his own frustration which he ejects his negativity on, he needs some HELP.

The more that I think about it, this series basically has to end with Steven leaving Beach City. And I'm betting Greg gets him a van when he does.