[Movies] Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

I've mentioned this, but I loved the Ewoks so much, my mom and grandmother made me an Ewok costume from scratch for Halloween. I was also 3. And I got the comics. And watched the Saturday morning cartoon. Lucas knew what he was doing with them.

A little late to the party, but I unfortunately really disliked the movie. Like a whole bunch. So much that I am a bit pissed about it. Oh well.

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness."

The whole ship thing is weird to me - ostensibly, the Resistance was utilizing the Republic's remaining fleet for many of the bigger vessels (crew transports, medical frigates, etc.), as well as their lightweight combat ships. Meanwhile, the First Order was buying/sourcing their fleet en masse from ...somewhere large, presumably? Then in TLJ, while on the stolen ship, Finn, Rose, and Benicio discover that the oligarchs are selling ships to both sides, but logically, how does that work?

The Resistance would be acquiring any ships on a limited basis, given their few numbers (and presumably somewhat scant financial resources) whereas the First Order would be placing giant orders from large companies, and would likely not take kindly to discovering that a supplier was also providing ships to their enemy. What possible purpose could there be in one corporation/seller risking the sale of a few ships to the Resistance while the First Order is breathing down their neck?

Well, it's not like the Black X-Wing is new... i've just assumed they where selling them both stuff back in the day when the 1st Order was still being ignored by the Republic etc.

fade

Staff member
To sum up pretty much everything I said in the other thread: not terrible, but not great either. Would benefit greatly from a brutal editor to shorten up the SNL skit-length scenes, cut dialogue, and geez, maybe punch up the mood a little. Sure, ESB was also a failure-based plot, but it wasn't a huge downer.

Also this scene should've been left on the editing room floor:
[DOUBLEPOST=1514924620,1514924243][/DOUBLEPOST]For things I did like: I did like the light speed battering ram effects. Almost offset the idea of dropping bombs in zero-g. Though I guess if the bomber had simulated gravity, it'd be more like a gravity launcher.

Seriously that thing took out like ten star destroyers. I am surprised they don't just attach hyperdrive engines to super sized missiles and just launch them at an armada, it seems like a pretty deadly weapon on the scale of the a death star.

fade

Staff member
Well, sure, I can make up a million headcanon ways it worked. But they called them "bombs", and were clearly dropping them. Plus, if we want to get picky, magnetic bombs would be really easy to repel. Not to mention the whole 1/r^3 problem with distance from the dreadnought.[DOUBLEPOST=1514925216,1514925076][/DOUBLEPOST]
Seriously that thing took out like ten star destroyers. I am surprised they don't just attach hyperdrive engines to super sized missiles and just launch them at an armada, it seems like a pretty deadly weapon on the scale of the a death star.
This was the main issue I had with the hyperdrive ram. It seems kind of obvious, and like something they would have countermeasures for.

Star wars capital ships have artificial gravity that extends beyond their hull, as has been shown in the movies before. The shop itself attracting the bombs can work.

But, yeah, no, that scene didn't really work for me either.

This was the main issue I had with the hyperdrive ram. It seems kind of obvious, and like something they would have countermeasures for.
I'm guessing they normally do but they specifically said "forget about that cruiser going into hyperspace. It's abandoned and they're just trying to trick us."

The bombs dropping in space or Leia living in the vacuum of space or the question of why hyper drives were never weaponized: none of this bothered me because it's fucking knights and wizards in space.

And I don't mean that to call out anyone that did have a problem with it, but to me star wars has always been a fantasy myth where the specifics of how don't matter.

fade

Staff member
The bombs dropping in space or Leia living in the vacuum of space or the question of why hyper drives were never weaponized: none of this bothered me because it's fucking knights and wizards in space.

And I don't mean that to call out anyone that did have a problem with it, but to me star wars has always been a fantasy myth where the specifics of how don't matter.
Normally, I'd agree with you. It doesn't usually matter how SW tech works. But to me, the bombs were enough of a violation to pull me out of the scene a little. Still, not saying it was a huge point of contention.

On the other hand, they did point out in-universe that the super star destroyers could prevent hyperspace jumps. The dreadnought seems to be larger, but apparently lacked that capability? Or is it smaller? Genuinely asking.

GasBandit

Staff member
Normally, I'd agree with you. It doesn't usually matter how SW tech works. But to me, the bombs were enough of a violation to pull me out of the scene a little. Still, not saying it was a huge point of contention.

On the other hand, they did point out in-universe that the super star destroyers could prevent hyperspace jumps. The dreadnought seems to be larger, but apparently lacked that capability? Or is it smaller? Genuinely asking.
IIRC, it was not the Super Star Destroyers, but rather smaller not-quite-star-destroyers called "Interdictor Cruisers." They looked like this:

Those big ball things were for generating the fake gravity well to make hyperspace jumps impossible.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, but those were used over land, which keeps the suspension of disbelief engaged.

But regardless, I can't retroactively go back and not make that moment make me say, "What?" and pull me out of the scene. It did what it did when it did it.

Yeah, but those were used over land, which keeps the suspension of disbelief engaged.

But regardless, I can't retroactively go back and not make that moment make me say, "What?" and pull me out of the scene. It did what it did when it did it.
Well not with that attitude.

Or arming the bombs first? Why?

GasBandit

Staff member

Actually, the space bombs in X-Wing/Tie Fighter (the second picture) were not used over land, they were used in space against capital ships and stations, like a dive bomber. You'd accelerate up to maximum velocity and "release" more than "fire" them. None of the missions in those games took place even within visual range of a planet, for reasons of performance limitations, I'm sure.

Several missions entailed trying to intercept incoming space bombs before they hit your capital ship.

You might also get an unusually bad sunburn (or worse) if you're close enough to the nearest star, what with presumably no Van Allen belt nor atmosphere to run interference for you.

--Patrick

You might also get an unusually bad sunburn (or worse) if you're close enough to the nearest star, what with presumably no Van Allen belt nor atmosphere to run interference for you.

--Patrick
TIL, the The Force is also a great sunblock...

I saw the movie again recently and I definitely liked it, but I always feel this lingering conflict.

I ended up watching this video and it once again put into terms what I feel about it.