[Movies] Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

Blah blah blah blah filler filler make a post

I also liked Luke projecting for the battle. While stalling would've been the same, being a projection meant this was a fight neither combatant could win or lose. Actually defeating Luke would've given something to Kylo. Plus, I doubt Luke could've done the things hos projection did physically.

GasBandit

Staff member
It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries The Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

Now that the lorem ipsum is over...

I also liked Luke projecting for the battle. While stalling would've been the same, being a projection meant this was a fight neither combatant could win or lose. Actually defeating Luke would've given something to Kylo. Plus, I doubt Luke could've done the things hos projection did physically.
Yeah, saber-reflecting a constant barrage from 40 AT-AT turbolaser cannons would have been a pretty tall order.

Also:

Last edited:
Once again want to mention I didn't dislike the movie, just explaining why the backlash with fans has been high. The movie felt like it knew the expectations going in and, for the most part, wanted to screw with them. For a general audiences or critics that might seem refreshing, but for a fandom,the idea of outright subverting expectation can be seen as a slight to said fandom.

Remember, these are the people that put hundred of hours into very delicate Snoke theories, almost crafting him a whole backstory out of nothing. Most fandoms are fine when the theory isn't correct, as long as the importance of the character still holds true, but when you put that much effort into something only to have it turn out to be "nothing", the fandom can be a bit volatile. This movie just had the misfortune of throwing a few of those at us, which makes it sting a little more to a lot of people.

This isn't my opinion, I really have no vested interest in Star Wars beyond a popcorn movie, I just felt people should understand a little bit why the fandom is turning on the movie so much.

I'm going to try not to rehash things you guys have already talked about, and just add my 2 cents. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I'm glad I skipped all the commercials, trailers, articles and speculation because I came in with almost no preconceived notions outside of any previous Star Wars knowledge, and I was immersed. I didn't know who or what was coming, and there were a few parts I was on the edge of my seat because I didn't know what they were going to do. Some decisions felt very much in line with the OT, other stuff was new twists. Yoda showing up was one of my favorite surprises, especially because his Force ghost was just there to call Luke on his bull. ("I've got a torch! I'm...gonna do it!...Gonna..do...it...!" "Humph. The balls you still do not have, Skywalker. Here to Thor this shit, I am." BOOM!)

I haven't seen as much fanboy bellyaching as you guys, so I was (ever so slightly) surprised to hear there was complaints. I honestly don't give it much thought since the OT has the good fortune to appear before the Internet Age and I think had it not, people would have ripped the retcons in ESB and RotJ to pieces. But one of the funniest criticisms I saw was one guy complaining about the emphasis on Leia because the OT "was about Luke Skywalker". Dude, have you watched the OT? I could agree with that statement about ANH, but ESB and RotJ were definitely ensemble pieces. Luke's story line stood out because the concept of a Jedi and the Force was new and shiny, but there was a hell of a lot more going on than just his story. And speaking of Leia, I did get misty-eyed a few times, knowing what real life has left us with., especially when R2 was chewing Luke out* and he pulls up the footage of her original call to Obi-wan for help. They really set up Leia to be the lynch-pin of the final movie, and I'm so sad that can't be the case.

It's funny Gas just posted the photo above, because I was going to mention one of the hardest things for me to watch because it was so uncomfortable. Not just because it looks like they CG'd Adam Drivers tiny, round head on a much larger body, and probably not creating the Marvel Moment** they were hoping for, but because it became that awful moment in Force-chat Roulette where some guy thinks it's totally okay to ambush you with his nudity and refuses to stop even when you flat-out tell him you're uncomfortable. Weinsteins exist even in a galaxy far, far away. :eww:

But best of all, I love that after all the moaning and temper-tantrums that TFA and Rogue One were putting too many women and too much diversity into Star Wars, Disney's response, "Oh, sorry, what did you say? MORE WOMEN! MORE DIVERSITY! YOUR LEADERS? WOMEN! YOUR FORCE USERS? WOMEN! YOUR BOBA FETT? WOMAN! DROPPING BOMBS? WOMEN! RAMMING SHIPS? WOMEN! EVIL STAFF? WOMEN! ONE WOMAN GETS HURT? BRING IN ANOTHER WOMAN! ALL THE WOMEN!!!!" Even Poe was like, "...that was not what I expected." Woo!

*I just noticed Luke gets yelled at a lot in this film. Probably to make up for the whining in ANH.
**You know what I mean. The moment in the recent Marvels films where the hero is all "Helllloooooooo, audience. Oops, I'm missing a shirt. Want to see that I went to the gym?" :unibrow:

Once again want to mention I didn't dislike the movie, just explaining why the backlash with fans has been high. The movie felt like it knew the expectations going in and, for the most part, wanted to screw with them. For a general audiences or critics that might seem refreshing, but for a fandom,the idea of outright subverting expectation can be seen as a slight to said fandom.

Remember, these are the people that put hundred of hours into very delicate Snoke theories, almost crafting him a whole backstory out of nothing. Most fandoms are fine when the theory isn't correct, as long as the importance of the character still holds true, but when you put that much effort into something only to have it turn out to be "nothing", the fandom can be a bit volatile. This movie just had the misfortune of throwing a few of those at us, which makes it sting a little more to a lot of people.

This isn't my opinion, I really have no vested interest in Star Wars beyond a popcorn movie, I just felt people should understand a little bit why the fandom is turning on the movie so much.
I think you're right, it's just a little grating when those fans bemoan one movie for playing it safe, then get upset when the next movie messes with their expectations.

@Celt Z the crybaby shit has been hilarious. "Tgis isn't a real Star Wars movie cause WOMEN" :rolleyes:

Are we still putting in beginner paragraphs because of things like previews and tapatalk? I'll just use this time to mention maybe you shouldn't use tapatalk, that app was always annoying to me anyway.

So then, on to the movie

The more I think about and decompress this movie, the more I like it. I liked it when I first walked out of the theater, as I said up there somewhere, but I also came away feeling sorta like "huh, I need to think about that."

On the subject of men and women in the movie, I did find it very interesting that the First Order is made up mostly of young men, with General Weasley being the head military honcho right behind Kylo and Snoke. Whereas if we look at the leadership of the resistance, there are a lot of older women in power. Star Wars has always been very fairy tale, and in the language of fairy tales and fables, young men tend to represent brash bravado and impulsiveness, and you can see this both in the First Order and in Poe, who is very prone to wanting to take risks and act without first thinking. Whereas in fables, older women tend to represent the voices of reason and wisdom. The wise grandmother character, the village elder, the oracle, the medicine woman, and you see this both in General Leia being the glue that holds the resistance together, and in General Holdo ultimately having a plan that would have worked were it not for Poe's impulsiveness destroying it.

At the same time, Holdo felt weak because she doesn't have enough time to be an established character. Had they built her up a little more, even just mentioning her name more often before she ultimately appears, would have helped given her more presence once she does take over. Simultaneously, if they had given some time to presenting the idea that maybe the resistance was afraid of a mole, it would have explained why she didn't just tell Poe her plan instead of leaving everyone to assume that there is no plan. I feel like one more pass over the script could have tightened up these holes.

Her outfit was dope though. She looked really cool and had a great visual flair to her, making her memorable in what little screen time she had. And she went out like a boss.

Something Moviebob pointed out about the leaders of the New Order: with the Empire, there were clear allegories to the Nazi regime. But what's more known today? A similar movement, but led by young, cowardly pissants trying to act tough and live up to the same standards. I think it's a good analogy.

Are we still putting in beginner paragraphs because of things like previews and tapatalk? I'll just use this time to mention maybe you shouldn't use tapatalk, that app was always annoying to me anyway.
Problem solved!

I still have mixed feelings and I'll need to see it again before I have that settled. Someone compared it to a Western and I can totally see that, right down to weird pacing necessitating a second viewing for me and having a second climax. Even if it ends up being the weakest of this trilogy, it was still decent.

GasBandit

Staff member
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque efficitur eleifend ligula, sit amet lacinia mi condimentum a. Vestibulum nibh erat, sodales non lacinia aliquam, ultricies vel orci. Aenean vulputate mi eget lorem feugiat suscipit. Praesent nisl massa, ornare quis molestie et, aliquet vel leo. Aenean sollicitudin vulputate sem, dictum bibendum leo sodales nec. Nullam gravida aliquet eros ut pulvinar. Nam metus turpis, iaculis quis metus nec, suscipit malesuada felis. Pellentesque vulputate luctus libero, ac dictum quam pretium sed. Phasellus id risus quis odio eleifend fermentum. Aliquam sit amet diam non est tincidunt lobortis in vitae neque. Donec tempor enim nec eros gravida consectetur. Etiam imperdiet auctor odio, nec mollis tellus facilisis faucibus. Nunc non ipsum accumsan, hendrerit enim sit amet, tempor odio. Vivamus aliquam tellus vel est vulputate molestie. In id ante quis ligula feugiat vehicula. Aliquam pharetra varius magna, eu semper libero eleifend eu.

Problem solved!

I still have mixed feelings and I'll need to see it again before I have that settled. Someone compared it to a Western and I can totally see that, right down to weird pacing necessitating a second viewing for me and having a second climax. Even if it ends up being the weakest of this trilogy, it was still decent.
I mean, I think I actually liked it just as much as TFA. Like Keltsy, I completely ignored/tuned out all trailers and promotional materials as much as I could. But yeah, people have been calling Star Wars a space-western for decades.

I liked it way more than Rogue One and mildly more than TFA. I can't elaborate more right now because I'm sitting on a can in a restaraunt bathroom.

I enjoyed the movie a lot... my question is.. how did Finn and Rose get back to the rebel base when they crashed literally 10 feet from the First Order... did no one try to capture or kill them? And why was the movie so comical at times it was like I went to go watch a comedy movie.

I enjoyed the movie a lot... my question is.. how did Finn and Rose get back to the rebel base when they crashed literally 10 feet from the First Order... did no one try to capture or kill them?
This is answered in the actual movie.

I think you're right, it's just a little grating when those fans bemoan one movie for playing it safe, then get upset when the next movie messes with their expectations.
Realize, fans will always nitpick. Nitpicking does not automatically mean they dislike it. TFA is still sitting at a 88% Fan Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, even with the nitpicking on how "safe" it was, or how much of a mary sue the character of Rey was presented. People always nitpick the stuff they love, they just get over it if the movie hit the right buttons to suspend that in the theater. TLJ, however, hit a much harder cord, and is already in the rotten range of the fan ratings at %56.

Again, I ain't the biggest Star Wars fan, but just to go over what I personally felt, with TFA, I felt like the way the story was told was trying to pay homage to the characters of yore while also showing new people. It borrowed heavily from themes in the original trilogy, and so you can kind of see the little "love letters" to the fans, even in the weirdest moments. When I left TLJ, even as a non-fan, I could feel a weird sense of disrespect. I decided to look online and this review I think puts it better then I can, and it was promoting the movie positively.
"The Force Awakens and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story want to please you. They want to hit familiar beats and remind you why you love Star Wars. They are so much fun. But The Last Jedi doesn’t want to remind you of anything. It doesn’t care about your relationship with Star Wars. The only relationship that matters here is Rian Johnson’s relationship with Star Wars, and for the first time in a long time, here is a Star Wars movie with a proper point of view, one delivered by a storyteller who is unafraid to shatter a universe he loves, to break down the heroes that mean so much to him. A wise and noble Luke is easy. A Luke with regrets? That’s hard. That’s tough to swallow."
Again, not a bad movie, but you don't feel like Rian was going into this hoping to hug the fandom, and let's be real, the fandom wants some coddling, even if they won't admit it. It's just the way nostalgia works.

Realize, fans will always nitpick. Nitpicking does not automatically mean they dislike it. TFA is still sitting at a 88% Fan Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, even with the nitpicking on how "safe" it was, or how much of a mary sue the character of Rey was presented. People always nitpick the stuff they love, they just get over it if the movie hit the right buttons to suspend that in the theater. TLJ, however, hit a much harder cord, and is already in the rotten range of the fan ratings at %56.

Again, I ain't the biggest Star Wars fan, but just to go over what I personally felt, with TFA, I felt like the way the story was told was trying to pay homage to the characters of yore while also showing new people. It borrowed heavily from themes in the original trilogy, and so you can kind of see the little "love letters" to the fans, even in the weirdest moments. When I left TLJ, even as a non-fan, I could feel a weird sense of disrespect. I decided to look online and this review I think puts it better then I can, and it was promoting the movie positively.

Again, not a bad movie, but you don't feel like Rian was going into this hoping to hug the fandom, and let's be real, the fandom wants some coddling, even if they won't admit it. It's just the way nostalgia works.

Failure is the greatest teacher of all.

The shade is not very nice. But color's not the point. Just want to use it up, Make space in this joint.
I paint the door, sloppily, I paint the dog, the car. I look for something else, There's the local bar.
I paint the stools and beer taps. And Hilda's pretty dress. Someone has a problem, Seems I've made a mess.
Do not paint out of control. take a tip from me. If you have extra paint, best to leave it be.

They crashed and skidded in under the blast door as it closed?
Yes. They managed to come in with the rebel retreat, crashed and skidded inside the base, and were fired upon by the rebels assuming that they were first order. They shouted and raised their hands, Poe called for a cease fire, and they emerged from the craft.

They crashed and skidded in under the blast door as it closed?
No no no, not that part, the part where Finn was going to go Kamikaze on the battering ram then gets crashed out of the way right before he does it and Rose is all almost dead in her crashed ship, and kisses Finn... How did that get back from that part.

No no no, not that part, the part where Finn was going to go Kamikaze on the battering ram then gets crashed out of the way right before he does it and Rose is all almost dead in her crashed ship, and kisses Finn... How did that get back from that part.
My assumption is that they were below the viewing line of the larger vehicles, and then they made a break for it during other distractions.

We do see Finn dragging Rose back on a sled through the main door and calling for a med pack (I actually thought she was a goner while she was still in the ship, so her survival was a nice surprise for me!), but it was awfully nice of the First Order to let Finn drag her back to safety when they were such sitting ducks...

Its that same suspension of disbelief seen in Rogue One after they successfully defeat Krennic and transmit the Death Star Plans. In that, there was enough time for Cassian and Jyn to make it down the 50-story Archive/Ginormous Transmitter building and hobble another mile or so away from the base of the building while the Death Star slooooooooooooooooooooooooowly got into position to fire, so they could have their poignant death scene in the most picturesque setting by the water. Movie (il)logic, yo.

We do see Finn dragging Rose back on a sled through the main door and calling for a med pack (I actually thought she was a goner while she was still in the ship, so her survival was a nice surprise for me!), but it was awfully nice of the First Order to let Finn drag her back to safety when they were such sitting ducks...

Its that same suspension of disbelief seen in Rogue One after they successfully defeat Krennic and transmit the Death Star Plans. In that, there was enough time for Cassian and Jyn to make it down the 50-story Archive/Ginormous Transmitter building and hobble another mile or so away from the base of the building while the Death Star slooooooooooooooooooooooooowly got into position to fire, so they could have their poignant death scene in the most picturesque setting by the water. Movie (il)logic, yo.
To be fair, someone was throwing a temper tantrum while Finn was running the sled in.

Apparently there’s a Wilhelm Scream just before Luke and Kylo face off. I’ll have to listen for it next time. It just isn’t Star Wars without poor Wilhelm.

Ehduduejfjcjjerjcjcjenjcjsjejcjduwbxgvtniekaksmcnejcjanzb I jdjeuxuwjrkcuejfjcjejeuxj1njc2irju4bhduajdjcjejdueh2ufuh3jf7cjtj3jaixj4jd7wjrufktnyn3usdubrjdixjeei8neivjjrjcu3jfudnrjduenfieieI kj3cijenrgjejckwk2ckkdkdi2jwroepspwlvjnwnskqkxjjrkwksjvji2kwkzjvjwkclhsiwkdkciqkdkzomajzggsgeghxnnvohwlxjzhahwjgjkalmwhjrjfjekzjdhejzkjjeskjr2jxjjhwjjducueuwjwiwi291ri5ktuxy6zuakzkfkropwovo3

I noticed a lot of people a questioning when Rey got the books but Yoda says while the tree is burning that young Rey has everything she needs. I assume he's talking more about qualities and intangibles but he's playful and cryptic enough I figured he knew she had taken the books even if he didn't put a whole lot of stock in them. I just can't recall if this happens before or after she leaves.

Last edited:
Parties A and B hereby agree to the following terms regarding the implementation of this service agreement (hereinafter the "Agreement"). Party A shall provide maintenance services for Party B's production hardware, which includes but is not limited to inspections, repair, and replacement of the machinery, electrical facilities, and other related hardware. Party A shall not be responsible for the production software used by Party B. Party A shall not be liable for any losses that Party B incurs as a result of software malfunctions, and shall be entitled to laugh at Party B for their shitty software.

Wait, books? I haven't seen the movie yet, but I thought paper wasn't supposed to exist in the Star Wars universe.

Parties A and B hereby agree to the following terms regarding the implementation of this service agreement (hereinafter the "Agreement"). Party A shall provide maintenance services for Party B's production hardware, which includes but is not limited to inspections, repair, and replacement of the machinery, electrical facilities, and other related hardware. Party A shall not be responsible for the production software used by Party B. Party A shall not be liable for any losses that Party B incurs as a result of software malfunctions, and shall be entitled to laugh at Party B for their shitty software.

Wait, books? I haven't seen the movie yet, but I thought paper wasn't supposed to exist in the Star Wars universe.
You know, I thought the same thing, because I'm one of those nerds that knows that Lucas never allowed paper to exist and everything had to be a datapad, but since they're supposed to be ANCIENT texts, I suppose paper had to exist at one point.

Ehduduejfjcjjerjcjcjenjcjsjejcjduwbxgvtniekaksmcnejcjanzb I jdjeuxuwjrkcuejfjcjejeuxj1njc2irju4bhduajdjcjejdueh2ufuh3jf7cjtj3jaixj4jd7wjrufktnyn3usdubrjdixjeei8neivjjrjcu3jfudnrjduenfieieI kj3cijenrgjejckwk2ckkdkdi2jwroepspwlvjnwnskqkxjjrkwksjvji2kwkzjvjwkclhsiwkdkciqkdkzomajzggsgeghxnnvohwlxjzhahwjgjkalmwhjrjfjekzjdhejzkjjeskjr2jxjjhwjjducueuwjwiwi291ri5ktuxy6zuakzkfkropwovo3

I noticed a lot of people a questioning when Rey got the books but Yoda says while the tree is burning that young Rey has everything she needs. I assume he's talking more about qualities and intangibles but he's playful and cryptic enough I figured he knew she had taken the books even if he didn't put a whole lot of stock in them. I just can't recall if this happens before or after she leaves.
I loved that. Really clever foreshadowing.

”Now he was a giant, so huge and defiant, but if he was tryin' to stop you denyin' that he's self-reliant, you'd soon be compliant, and no use in cryin' that you were a scientist merely supplyin' some data, not spyin'; his eyes would be eyein' ya, soon he'd be fryin' ya! Out of the fryin' pan, hung out for dryin', man! Then he's supplyin' the hurt! You'd be dyin', man! He'd break your neck just like snappin' a twig! I'm tellin' you, brother, this mother was big.”

When Yoda was chiding Luke, he indicated that all the information and more was contained elsewhere (holochron or something?) and that these books weren't the only source of what they contain.

However, there's not guarantee that she will have access to the digital version of the jedi library - nor that she should. Perhaps the ancient texts, containing just the core concepts and training, might be better.

Who knows. Either way, it was obvious in the film that she had them, so it will play a part in the next film. By the time Luke died I'm sure he knew she had them - he would have known when she originally took them if he hadn't closed himself off from the force. His re-awakening happened only after Yoda reminded him of his place in the puzzle.

 If we shadows have offended,
 Think but this, and all is mended—
 That you have but slumbered here
 While these visions did appear.
 And this weak and idle theme,
 No more yielding but a dream,
 Gentles, do not reprehend.
 If you pardon, we will mend.
 And, as I am an honest Puck,
 If we have unearnèd luck
 Now to ’scape the serpent’s tongue,
 We will make amends ere long.
 Else the Puck a liar call.
 So good night unto you all.
 Give me your hands if we be friends,
 And Robin shall restore amends.

There were a few points where the audience got really excited at our screening. Most of them are points you'd expect, such as the hyperdrive through Snoke's ship, or when Luke is revealed to be force projecting himself. The one that surprised me was at Yoda--not when he appeared, even the little kids perked up for that. But near the end, when he said, "Greatest teacher, failure is." Maybe I'm forgetting that being a quote from Empire or Jedi, or maybe because it was just a solid Luke and Yoda moment after so many years, but the people in our theater thought that was good shit.