[Movies] Star Wars The Force Awakens SPOILER THREAD!

Finally saw this one. A bit sad I got everything spoiled beforehand, some of the things still had an impact but I can only imagine what it would've been unspoiled. That said, I liked it. Yes, there's plenty of overlap with IV, and plenty of fan pleasing references, but it's handled a lot better than in the prequels, there's plenty of shake up. It felt like a proper Star Wars movie, but it was also a good action movie and just plain old a good movie. The new lightsaber didn't irk me as I thought it would - it (still) looks silly in stills, but with the different sword fighting style, and the way it's used to echo Ren's emotional state and way of doing things, I think it works. It's really no worse than Maul's double or Tyranus' special handle ones.
Also, while I'm not always a fan of JJ's work, the quality of everything from acting, dialogue, sets, build-up, costumes, all of it, just screams this is a better movie than any of the prequels.

Having only seen this one once, in cinema, and the others a bunch of times, on the small screen, makes it hard to compare, but right now, without having thought too much yet, I might be tempted to put this as my second-favorite SW movie.

As I mentioned in the latest movie thread, I just watched Jedi again for the first time in over 15 years, and ...

So Kylo Ren either went to Endor or sent someone there to dig around for Vader's helmet. What a fucking dweeb.

Oh, and I bet he didn't know about Vader's sense of conflict over his son, or his turn from the dark side in the end. I'm not even looking forward to Luke kicking his ass in future movies; more like giving him a stern talking to. He wants to be Vader so bad, but Vader wouldn't kill his child and Luke wouldn't kill his father. Kylo isn't the badass that Vader was, but he's becoming something far more sickly and irredeemable.

When's the next movie coming out? :D

As I mentioned in the latest movie thread, I just watched Jedi again for the first time in over 15 years, and ...

So Kylo Ren either went to Endor or sent someone there to dig around for Vader's helmet. What a fucking dweeb.

Oh, and I bet he didn't know about Vader's sense of conflict over his son, or his turn from the dark side in the end. I'm not even looking forward to Luke kicking his ass in future movies; more like giving him a stern talking to. He wants to be Vader so bad, but Vader wouldn't kill his child and Luke wouldn't kill his father. Kylo isn't the badass that Vader was, but he's becoming something far more sickly and irredeemable.

When's the next movie coming out? :D
I kind of assume Luke will die to Ren in the second movie, similar to Ben's death in IV. After (or "and/or"), of course, mirroring V, telling him Vader turned back to the Light before his death, and having Ren go "NNNOOOoooooooooooo".

I'm most curious about Snoke, though, despite the silly name. A hologram can be anything. Besides Maul, we haven't seen a single non-human DSer. I'd be disappointed if he was someone without some background or connection to the earlier movies. Ohh, he's got scars around his head - is he a wounded but alive jar Jar? :p

I'm most curious about Snoke, though, despite the silly name. A hologram can be anything. Besides Maul, we haven't seen a single non-human DSer.
Ventress wants a word with you

I know you meant just the movies, but the clone wars series is still held as canon by Disney.

I'm most curious about Snoke, though, despite the silly name. A hologram can be anything. Besides Maul, we haven't seen a single non-human DSer. I'd be disappointed if he was someone without some background or connection to the earlier movies. Ohh, he's got scars around his head - is he a wounded but alive jar Jar? :p
Ditto on wanting to know about Snoke. I want to know his goals, his background, his connections, what his deal is.

And while it isn't canon anymore, the Empire had a policy of racism to nonhumans (and the makeup of the first order seems to fit that). Interesting to see it run by a nonhuman.

The Gollum of Star Wars?
Why not? We saw what being hit with Force Lightning did to Palpatine... unless he was lying all along and getting hit with it simply forced him into his ACTUAL form instead of his fake one. It's been long established that long time Dark Side use does things like yellow the eyes and pale the skin.

Ventress wants a word with you

I know you meant just the movies, but the clone wars series is still held as canon by Disney.

And some of the books are New Canon too, but no, I don't count them. The movies, period. Show, don't tell, and all that.

And while it isn't canon anymore, the Empire had a policy of racism to nonhumans (and the makeup of the first order seems to fit that). Interesting to see it run by a nonhuman.
It may not be strictly canon, but considering you don't see a singly non-human in service of the Empire, anywhere, ever - officially (bounty hunters, cloners,... weren't officially employed by the Empire, after all), it's still true.

Ditto on wanting to know about Snoke. I want to know his goals, his background, his connections, what his deal is.
Part of me wonders if what we saw of Snoke isn't him at all. It's a Great Wizard of Oz thing. He might not even look like a poor man's Voldemort at all. For all we know, Snoke is someone very familiar.

Some people have theorized that Luke actually fell to the dark side and he's Snoke behind the scenes. I think that's a bit of a leap, but it'd be one hell of a shock if true. Revealed properly, it'd be right up there with "I AM YOUR FATHER."

Part of me wonders if what we saw of Snoke isn't him at all. It's a Great Wizard of Oz thing. He might not even look like a poor man's Voldemort at all. For all we know, Snoke is someone very familiar.

Some people have theorized that Luke actually fell to the dark side and he's Snoke behind the scenes. I think that's a bit of a leap, but it'd be one hell of a shock if true. Revealed properly, it'd be right up there with "I AM YOUR FATHER."
Before the movie came out, I thought the evil Luke thing was plausible and even a good idea, but now that we know what's going on in this universe 30 years later, the chances are pretty much zero.

I like the theory that real Snoke is only slightly taller than an Ewok :p.

Before the movie came out, I thought the evil Luke thing was plausible and even a good idea, but now that we know what's going on in this universe 30 years later, the chances are pretty much zero.

I like the theory that real Snoke is only slightly taller than an Ewok :p.
Well, we know Harrison Ford wanted Han to die in Return of the Jedi. And Mark Hamil wanted Luke to turn evil in RotJ. Harrison Ford got his wish, so...

Well, we know Harrison Ford wanted Han to die in Return of the Jedi. And Mark Hamil wanted Luke to turn evil in RotJ. Harrison Ford got his wish, so...
Again, pre-movie, I'd be right there with you. Now I think we've got as much chance of evil Luke as we do of that Snoke being Jar Jar thing being true.

Just watched it a second time.

Whether Rey is Luis daughter or not, I think the film makes some effort to suggest that R2D2 was specifically waiting for her to appear. It didn't awaken when the extra map piece showed up, or for the presence of fin, but said "I found it" when Rey was actually present at the resistance base and provided the portions of the map the resistance didn't have. It doesn't appear to be coincidence, Luke didn't merely go hide, he made a path to find him that would only present itself once Rey was found, and by preventing R2 from roaming, knowing it would be carted around forever by Leia, he also gauranteed he would not be found if Rey didn't at some point meet up with Leia.

Given that Leia thought he was looking for the first Jedi temple I'm pretty sure he intended to be found, but whether it was by his own offspring or someone sufficiently strong in the force I don't know.

The vision Rey saw with Luke's hand on the droid is probably the point he programmed the droid - and I use program loosely here, he could have simply used to force to inhibit the droids operation until conditions were met - and it's quite possible that he retrieved his own lightsaber and distributed that to a friendly party as well. Perhaps in the same way yoda set up the cave for Luke, Luke set up the lightsaber to test possible apprentices.

Perhaps the droid was simply looking for the lightsaber, knowing that it would call out to nearby force users, or family relations, test them, and only end up near the droid if they were decent beings, having both passed the test, accepted the saber, *and* ended up near the resistance.

Saw it for the third time today, this time in 3D. It really doesn't add anything to the movie but the price tag.

Something to occurred to me: This is The First Order's first major offensive. The Resistance and Republic seemed to think The First Order was way smaller and weaker than it actually was.

1) Poe is stunned to see the scale of operations on the Star Destroyer when he's taken prisoner. A few drop ships and squads of stormies, sure. But a full Star Destroyer and Starkiller Base? Those were completely unexpected.

2) The Republic Fleet wasn't mobilized, again, meaning they didn't perceive a serious threat. They were content to support the Resistance to oppose The First Order.

3) The Resistance is small scale: a few transports and a large squadron of starfighters. Without the Republic fleet, they didn't even have enough transport to evacuate from their base (that's what C-3PO means when he says 'Without the Republic, we're doomed.')

4) Finn mentions that Jakku was his first battle. If the First Order was engaged in a long term series of engagements, they probably wouldn't have so many inexperienced troops.

5) Aside from a few middle aged Imperial veterans, much of The First Order seems extremely young - people too young to know what life was like under The Empire, and think the Republic is weak and corrupt because it is more fluid / chaotic.

The vision Rey saw with Luke's hand on the droid is probably the point he programmed the droid - and I use program loosely here, he could have simply used to force to inhibit the droids operation until conditions were met - and it's quite possible that he retrieved his own lightsaber and distributed that to a friendly party as well. Perhaps in the same way yoda set up the cave for Luke, Luke set up the lightsaber to test possible apprentices.

Perhaps the droid was simply looking for the lightsaber, knowing that it would call out to nearby force users, or family relations, test them, and only end up near the droid if they were decent beings, having both passed the test, accepted the saber, *and* ended up near the resistance.
It's entirely more likely that Luke just asked R2 to wait in low power mode until he sensed the lightsaber hilt... in fact, he probably arranged for it to be at the location it was found entirely because he knew Han went there regularly. Or maybe he just knew that is where it needed to be, who knows?

As for the cave on Dagoba... it's actually a naturally occurring Dark Side location (something about a Sith dying there in the EU but that part isn't canon anymore). The entire reason Yoda was on Dagoba was because that cave's influence was able to mask his own presence in the force. Yoda apparently found out about it from Qui-Gon Jinn's force ghost and went there, where he saw a vision of the fall of the Jedi and the rise of Darth Sidious... which all happened on the Clone Wars TV show and is thus canon. Episode was called "Voices".

I kind of assume Luke will die to Ren in the second movie, similar to Ben's death in IV.

Nah, if we're going with continuing to recreate the OT he's going to die of old age right when Rey comes back from rescuing Finn against his advice.

So, not just staring at random at the sea, but grieving someone.

I wonder who, and if they had been on this planet with him or was a body he took to this place.

So, not just staring at random at the sea, but grieving someone.

I wonder who, and if they had been on this planet with him or was a body he took to this place.
Well, there's a few possibilities.

Possibility one is that it's not a gravestone... it's just a random rock. He's not actually looking at it, it's to his left, and the shot doesn't stay on it for very long.

Two, it's not a gravestone, but it is a memorial of some sort. He was supposedly looking for the first Jedi temple, it could be some sort of memorial structure.

Three, it is a gravestone, either one that existed before, or a body he brought with him there.

Of course, the biggest theory is that it's the grave of Luke's wife/girlfriend/possibly Rey's mother. Whether that's going to be Mara Jade in this reboot or someone else is anyone's guess.

Finally saw the movie. Was a lot of fun. The OT homages and plot threads didn't really hurt it for me, though I do think the Empire / First Order need to really stop developing sphereical super-weapons with a single weak spot, because come on guys, you get one shot and then the whole thing always goes tits up on you!

I am still of the opinion that Rey is the daughter of Han and Leia, and that her and Kylo Ren are supposed to mimic Jacen and Jaina from the EU, only with the new Disney-helmed names/twist, and likely not having them be twins. It will give a more powerful "I am your father!" style reveal with "I am your brother!", which wouldn't have as much impact if she just turned out to be his cousin or some random person.

Leia and Han mention that they sent Ben off to train with Luke once they discovered his force sensitivity, and hinted that they kind of blame themselves for not being there for him. At some point after he turned, they split and went off to do "what they did best", which is a classic symptom of grief. The thing is, they knew Ben was still alive. He may have turned to the dark side and thus more likely to do anything to get him back, so why go through this stage of grief? Why run from the problem? Well, what if they had a force sensitive daughter too, that this daughter went off to train just like Ben, and was assumed dead at the hands of her brother during his turn to the dark side? Luke, escaping from the massacre, takes the young girl to a desert world similar to his old home in much the same way Obi-Wan brought him to Tatooine, but worried for her safety, he decides to leave rather then involve her. He vanishes, and Han and Leia assume their daughter has long been dead. They go through a stage of grief that makes them give up on each other, and also give up on the son that they think murdered their daughter.

The only road block is, why would Leia or Han not recognize her? Well, the first obvious answer is they had not even seen her since she was a little girl, nor would Luke have told them he put her on Jakku, so as far as they know she is a random woman from some dust ball. So why wouldn't Leia (or even Kylo) be able to pick up she is her daughter through the Force? Well, Rey's own force powers are only just now manifesting, and if we remember the OT, Vader didn't figure out Luke was his son till sometime in the second movie, after Luke himself had started to become more proficient in the Force. As far as the first movie was concerned the little upstart that was with Obi-Wan was just some orphan from Tatooine. It may even be the Leia DOES know (she did go right to Rey to hug her real close after Han died, which is kind of weird since that was the first time they technically have ever met), but feels dumping such knowledge on her now would only feed her pain and make her possibly fall to the dark side herself, and that she needs real training with Luke to prevent that.

It could be that Luke is the father, they may go that direction still, but since this trilogy seems to be playing off the plot threads of the original, it's more likely Kylo Ren and Rey are going to have a much closer relationship, to play on the Luke / Vader dynamic.

Rey and Leia embracing was one of the finest moments of the movie, for me. The rest of the Resistance is celebrating their survival and victory, but these two women can feel each other's grief: one losing the love of her life, the other a mentor and hero, and they just hold each other, sharing their grief and sorrow, separate from the cheering masses. A simple but emotionally powerful moment, and the sort of thing the prequels lacked entirely.

Rey and Leia embracing was one of the finest moments of the movie, for me. The rest of the Resistance is celebrating their survival and victory, but these two women can feel each other's grief: one losing the love of her life, the other a mentor and hero, and they just hold each other, sharing their grief and sorrow, separate from the cheering masses. A simple but emotionally powerful moment, and the sort of thing the prequels lacked entirely.
I liked that scene, but I felt like Leia should have been hugging Chewie.

Reactions: Dei