Star Wars Ep. VII has a name...

I don't... what? Surely two-handed swords were such because of the weight. A lightsabre would require, at most, a longer handle if you wanted to use two hands, since presumably it has infinitesimal weight from the length of the blade.

Anyways, it looks silly.

There is a real part of me that is primarily excited for this movie just so Plinkett can review it:

If a regular lightsaber were pushed enough you'd still lose a hand. The double-bladed saber looks more likely to take your own appendages off before your opponent's. Lightsabers in general are kind of a silly weapon.

I don't... what? Surely two-handed swords were such because of the weight. A lightsabre would require, at most, a longer handle if you wanted to use two hands, since presumably it has infinitesimal weight from the length of the blade.
It's a bit more complicated than that... you need a bigger field generator to generator the magnetic field that contains the plasma, a larger battery to power the now larger field, larger crystals to prevent their effects from being diluted over the much larger blade, etc. Basically the whole thing gets a bit heavier and a bit harder to deal with because the gyroscopic effect of the blade is more pronounced.

And yes, it's a bit much... but it's also iconic, which is something they really want in their villain I guess.

The cross-guard is clearly an anti-theft device. Only a Jedi has the affinity with the Force/skills necessary to use it without cutting their own hands off.

If a regular lightsaber were pushed enough you'd still lose a hand. The double-bladed saber looks more likely to take your own appendages off before your opponent's. Lightsabers in general are kind of a silly weapon.
This is why normal people don't use them; without the Force, it's an accident waiting to happen. Force-sensitives can predict it better and use it effectively, which is the reason why someone pulling one out is met with "Oh shit" instead of "This idiot's going to lose an arm."[DOUBLEPOST=1417208635,1417208598][/DOUBLEPOST]
The cross-guard is clearly an anti-theft device. Only a Jedi has the affinity with the Force/skills necessary to use it without cutting their own hands off.
I like to imagine it's like Blade's katana with the ant-theft prongs that take off your hand.

This is why normal people don't use them; without the Force, it's an accident waiting to happen. Force-sensitives can predict it better and use it effectively, which is the reason why someone pulling one out is met with "Oh shit" instead of "This idiot's going to lose an arm."[DOUBLEPOST=1417208635,1417208598][/DOUBLEPOST]

I like to imagine it's like Blade's katana with the ant-theft prongs that take off your hand.
Right I get that. What I'm getting at is it's hard to say one specific lightsaber type is goofy when really they're just goofy in general.

Also, here's a gif.

So, something I noticed after looking at this, the beams are crazy unfocused. Maybe it's not even a crossbar, maybe it's some kind of exhaust because the saber's an old model that can't quite contain the power of whatever crystal's inside it. The guy could be some re-awakened ancient Sith or something. Also there's solid parts extending out past the grip, before the smaller saber bits. It looks more like a claymore than a lightsaber, really.

Also, here's a gif.

So, something I noticed after looking at this, the beams are crazy unfocused. Maybe it's not even a crossbar, maybe it's some kind of exhaust because the saber's an old model that can't quite contain the power of whatever crystal's inside it. The guy could be some re-awakened ancient Sith or something. Also there's solid parts extending out past the grip, before the smaller saber bits. It looks more like a claymore than a lightsaber, really.
I posted in the other thread about it's unstable nature, and pondered if it might be one of those unstable sabres from the eu, meant to short out other lightsabers.

I posted in the other thread about it's unstable nature, and pondered if it might be one of those unstable sabres from the eu, meant to short out other lightsabers.
This is also an option. Some sabers had mods that do that or crystals that caused that effect, but they kind of fell out of use once the Sith mostly vanished. Who are you going to use in on?

Considering we see someone digging it up, this thing could be over 600 years old.

GasBandit

Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1417220991,1417220969][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1417221055][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1417221324][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1417221346][/DOUBLEPOST]

This trailer wasn't that good and the movie can't be that bad.

It feels dumb that 30 years after victory, it's still rebel squadron logos and TIE fighters.

I though the Claymore saber was pretty cool, but I suppose I'm not the typical Star Wars fan that hates everything they see in a 30 second trailer with 10 seconds of footage. Star Wars fans are the weirdest fucking group on Earth.

GasBandit

Staff member
I though the Claymore saber was pretty cool, but I suppose I'm not the typical Star Wars fan that hates everything they see in a 30 second trailer with 10 seconds of footage. Star Wars fans are the weirdest fucking group on Earth.
How much time have you spent talking to Trekkies?

How much time have you spent talking to Trekkies?
Star Trek is a little more grounded in reality in terms of physics, politics, etc... I can kinda understand nitpicking from those angles. Star Wars is a soap opera, which in my mind is allowed to take liberties with flash over substance. The origin of the light saber, for example, is that it just looks cool. That's it. That's the only reason they exist - they look cool. The original movie is full of this stuff. George Lucas just made shit up for the sake of flashy gimmicks in the vein of Flash Gordon. Star Trek takes a more practical approach and is therefore open to more critique in regards to, say, phaser design.