Star Wars Ep. VII has a name...

Episode VIII pushed back 7 months to December 15, 2017. This doesn't surprise me, since the year and a half schedule seem really ambitious for a movie that's going to have lots of effects to get produced in that time period. I know what my wife and I are doing for our 29th anniversary now.

Oh, just in case you haven't seen it, here's one of the billion stories out there...
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...wars-episode-8-has-been-delayed-a6824216.html
Honestly, it makes more sense to keep the Star Wars films around Christmastime. That way, Disney can have their summer tent poles with Marvel and their winter tent poles with Star Wars.

Last edited:
Honestly, it makes more sense to keep the Star Wars films around Christmastime. That day, Disney can have their summer tent poles with Marvel and their winter tent poles with Star Wars.
This is the biggie. Disney is basically making it so they have films coming out year round, with a Pixar, a Disney original, a Marvel, and a Star Wars movie every year. Especially since holidays are irrelevant for movie participation these days... putting a non-Christmas movie out in December used to be an indicator of it's quality, but now you can toss stuff out in December and January because there just isn't any competition anymore.

This is the biggie. Disney is basically making it so they have films coming out year round, with a Pixar, a Disney original, a Marvel, and a Star Wars movie every year. Especially since holidays are irrelevant for movie participation these days... putting a non-Christmas movie out in December used to be an indicator of it's quality, but now you can toss stuff out in December and January because there just isn't any competition anymore.
I'll actually be curious to see how this affects the future of movie releases. December is normally one of the big months for getting potential Oscar films out there. With the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it felt like everyone else cleared out just because nobody could possibly compete at the box office with it.

The three highest grossing films of all time all released in December.
To be fair, Avatar and Titanic were fishing for awards, which is why they hit in December. I'm sure they expected them to make money, but not on the scale that they did... and remember, 3D wasn't a "thing" again until Avatar made millions off of it by doing it well.

Harrison Ford truly is the master of the "I don't want to be here but I'm gonna be a good sport anyway" body language.

Ugh. He could probably cut the running time in half if he just stuck with the review. Not even a minute in and he's going on about some story about son driving through a Taco Bell. JUST DO THE REVIEW.

Ugh. He could probably cut the running time in half if he just stuck with the review. Not even a minute in and he's going on about some story about son driving through a Taco Bell. JUST DO THE REVIEW.
I ended up skipping through most of the first hour of the commentary. There was too much time spent complaining about 'it's an assembly line now' and arguing about things that other people had posted on the internet. After that, the video does bring up some interesting points, but it's still weighed down by too much Plinkett humor.

The two observations from that section that I thought were the most insightful were (I watched the video so you don't have to!):
-- The story would have been more interesting if it showed the events in the period of time between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens -- the rise of the first Order, the Knights of Ren, Ben Solo's betrayal, etc..
-- The characterization in the movie would have been improved if it felt like any of the characters had a sex drive.

It also has a solid breakdown of similarities between Force Awakens and the earlier movie. Though, even Plinkett even acknowledges that he wasn't the first to notice this issue.

He also has some rambling point about diversity, but I'm not really sure what it was beyond a demonstration of 'oh, he went there'.

He also has some rambling point about diversity, but I'm not really sure what it was beyond a demonstration of 'oh, he went there'.

Well, Plinkett is a character, so everything he says is to provide entertainment in the performance of that character. That sometimes valid points are included are really secondary.

He has enough on-point observations that the rest of it doesn't bug me. I've sat through worse for less. My wife, on the other hand, thinks the whole bit is hilarious.

He may have some good points to make and funny things to say but after 5 minutes I'm about ready to blow out my brains. Good lord how does anybody listen to 90+minutes of that?!
Ears, usually.

plinkett fucking sucks and I truly feel sorry for anyone that has spent 10+ hours watching his garbage instead of an actual movie or read a review from someone with any actual original insight that takes 10x less time and has 10x more content

plinkett fucking sucks and I truly feel sorry for anyone that has spent 10+ hours watching his garbage instead of an actual movie or read a review from someone with any actual original insight that takes 10x less time and has 10x more content
It takes less time to watch a Plinkett review of a Star Wars prequel than to actually watch a Star Wars prequel.

Plinkett review > Star Wars prequel

Ok, so I watched the review and holy shit, I'm with Charlie, don't waste your time with this one. I liked the old reviews. This one takes a fucking hour before they even criticize TFA.

Ok, so I watched the review and holy shit, I'm with Charlie, don't waste your time with this one. I liked the old reviews. This one takes a fucking hour before they even criticize TFA.
Well, duh? They mostly liked it. This was never going to be a complete bashfest.