Star Wars Ep. VII has a name...

I don't know if you're telling it straight or just shitting me, but you should really try being less of a bilious killjoy.
I might not care about spoilers, but I try not to be a dick about them. I was just making it up and obviously I thought.

Oh shit, funnily enough, seconds after posting here I just accidently read a MASSIVE, MASSIVE spoiler. Karma I guess.

Whoops, tickets sold out lul. Ill be seeing tomorrow @ 12:30PM. I assume people are normal and still have to work on Friday and it won't be TOO crowded.

I might not care about spoilers, but I try not to be a dick about them. I was just making it up and obviously I thought.

Oh shit, funnily enough, seconds after posting here I just accidently read a MASSIVE, MASSIVE spoiler. Karma I guess.
At this point, no spoiler is obviously made up. You could claim that Finn is the child of a one-night stand between Chewie and R2D2, and people will go "wait really?"

Wowowowowow

I don't know how it will hold up, but even though it was so clearly coming, Han Solo dying was a moment. I gasped, as well as half the theater. It still doesn't feel like they actually did that.

Ok just got back. MOVIE WAS AMAZING! now to the spoilers.

Ok Han Solo dieing hit me right in the feels and like Blots said, it still doesn't feel real to me, from his own son. Yes they did build up to it but I didn't want to believe, I wanted to believe that Ren would renounce the dark side and do the right thing. As soon as they were talking about a map to find Luke I knew that he wasn't going to show up until the very end of the film so I wasn't really holding my breath to see him because I knew it wasn't coming until the end. Han Solo... Damn. Rest in peace General Solo.

Loved it.

Avoid spoilers. No, really, it's worth going in cold.

I'm looking forward with great anticipation to the next two.[DOUBLEPOST=1450416783,1450416662][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, the 3D (reald) was ok. Seemed like a post production, lets squeeze the audience for money deal though. I doubt the movie is any better or worse for it, but I'd like to see the imax 3D as well, though I doubt it's any different.

I tried the 2D-glasses my gf got me for funs, worked wonders. :)
But after the intro scroll I took them off, didn't think the 3D as atrocious as Pirates of the Caribbean 4...
Now onto the movie as such, seems people already wrote things I didn't dare in the 'Last movie seen' thread. ;)

Indeed, Han's dead left us gasping and still denying it! But they made it pretty clear in the movie that it's final, didn't they? But reall, we sat there. No? No? No? FUCK!
I loved the feel of the movie, felt so classic and back to the roots. Almost two days later the spirit still is going strong with it. Some dialogues, especially at the beginning, felt wooden, but never nowhere as bad as the prequels. Better not to nitpick about technical details of Starkiller base etc. and enjoy it as a well done movie that delivered what I wanted. Star Wars.

Dave

Staff member
I can't see it until after next week. No money until the 23rd when we leave for Colorado Springs. We'll get back on the 27th and we can finally see it. It's going to be really, really difficult not to click on anything.

I have to admit, it surprised me that the movie didn't show up on the pirating sites yesterday or the day before, but it's really very surprising that it's not up the next day. I'm not interested in downloading it, but I'm very interested in what Disney is doing to prevent it from being uploaded somewhere. They limited technical pre-screenings to just one or two theater employees per theater prior to yesterday, so that may have affected it. But now that it's been shown 40 thousand times or more (about 40k movies screens exist in the US, assume half were showing star wars, and each showed it at least twice, not including EU and other places also released, etc, etc) I'm really surprised there isn't even a cam upload.

I can't see it until after next week. No money until the 23rd when we leave for Colorado Springs. We'll get back on the 27th and we can finally see it. It's going to be really, really difficult not to click on anything.
I think I saw a major spoiler in a freaking unrelated youtube comment :(

I'm sitting in line to see it in IMAX 3D now. Jun, high off of watching all 6 movies turns to me and says

"If we have a boy one day, we should name him luke! If it's a girl, Leia!"

Me: "uh..."

Jun: "wait...that would mean their father is an evil Jerk and their mother would die young. Never mind " :dumb:

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm sitting in line to see it in IMAX 3D now. Jun, high off of watching all 6 movies turns to me and says

"If we have a boy one day, we should name him luke! If it's a girl, Leia!"

Me: "uh..."

Jun: "wait...that would mean their father is an evil Jerk and their mother would die young. Never mind " :dumb:
So how did Jun do with Episodes 3 and 6? I'm interested in her perspective as an outsider/newcomer.

THE FORCE AWAKENS is a five star commercial product, commodity, and public relations move. It's perfectly made to make sure Disney can release these movies every year in perpetuity and rake in hundreds of millions of profits. It's really amazing in how it is constructed to make literally everyone happy and want to throw money at everything with the word "Star Wars" near it.

It's a three star movie too. It's fine. It's good.

...aaaaand spoiled. That radio dj who felt the need to make an anti-spoiler point by spoiling this should feel free to break both his legs. Oh well. Hope there's more in this movie to surprise me other than that one big thing.

...aaaaand spoiled. That radio dj who felt the need to make an anti-spoiler point by spoiling this should feel free to break both his legs. Oh well. Hope there's more in this movie to surprise me other than that one big thing.
It was spoiled for me just hours before I saw it, and although it didn't lesson my enjoyment of the movie, but I was pissed. Of course it was Youtube. People are still spoiling the shit out of it on youtube comments. People are assholes.

Of course, be it radio or the internet, it really does look like you have to disconnect yourself from the world to prevent a large mass of trolls ruining your experience.

GasBandit

Staff member
THE FORCE AWAKENS is a five star commercial product, commodity, and public relations move. It's perfectly made to make sure Disney can release these movies every year in perpetuity and rake in hundreds of millions of profits. It's really amazing in how it is constructed to make literally everyone happy and want to throw money at everything with the word "Star Wars" near it.

It's a three star movie too. It's fine. It's good.
I find myself surprised how much I agree with this. When it was over I was.. "Well, that didn't blow my socks off... but it wasn't bad at all." And it did lean really heavily on being as starwarsy as it possibly could, to the point of almost being pandering.

So how did Jun do with Episodes 3 and 6? I'm interested in her perspective as an outsider/newcomer.
So for anyone else who was interested:

Jun's overall take on the story line is She felt really bad for Anakin. She thought he got the raw end of the deal and that other Jedi kind of treated him like a dick. In fact it downright depressed her to see him in that Vader suit. She did feel a bit better by the end of ROTJ of the jedi though, with his whole redemption and all. I'd say she thoroughly enjoyed her Star Wars experience and has turned into a bit of a fan now. After watching VI and shortly before going to see VII, I showed her the trailer to VII and her face lit up seeing the classic characters all aged. She loved VII by the way, which goes to show its appeal even though it was hard for her to catch everything without any subtitles (English or otherwise). We'll be seeing it again tomorrow.

It was spoiled for me just hours before I saw it, and although it didn't lesson my enjoyment of the movie, but I was pissed. Of course it was Youtube. People are still spoiling the shit out of it on youtube comments. People are assholes.

Of course, be it radio or the internet, it really does look like you have to disconnect yourself from the world to prevent a large mass of trolls ruining your experience.
That's essentially what I did. Didn't do anything on Tumblr, avoided Facebook, and I wouldn't look at Youtube comments. Even this thread. So I ended up going in without even really knowing the plot.

I'd have to see it a second time to judge how it is on a general movie scale, but it did blow my socks off. I had a huge grin on my face at times, was just generally excited overall. It swept me off, and I haven't really considered myself a Star Wars for a really long time. This just hit me in all the right ways.

Just got back from seeing it, myself.

It was fine. No surprise that it follows beat-for-beat the original Star Wars. That's JJ Abrams for you. And just like Abrams, there was little depth of its own without puckering his lips on the ass of something else.

The action bothered me, too, because while it wasn't the worst shaky cam I've ever seen, it was still enough that it made it confusing to follow at times. Especially the big light sabre battle. And for all the build up we got with the final scene, it a pretty ho-hum way to close things up.

So yeah. It was fine. I think upon repeat viewings, more people will calm down from the initial excitement and see its flaws.

B

BErt

The Force Awakens is just a Star Wars fan fiction sex fantasy. It is 10,000% fan service.

This is not a criticism.

I am planning on seeing this this week - probably Wednesday night - as the local theater has it showing (something I was unaware of).

I'm really surprised that my dad, who usually doesn't like adventure movies or anything with CGI, is looking forward to seeing this in a week or so.