Star Wars Ep. IX has a name...

Julie reminded me, apparently I predicted this right after we got out from The Last Jedi.

Me: "If Yoda can burn down a temple as a Force ghost, everyone would be in trouble if Sith Lords came back as Force ghosts too."

Am i the only one that thinks the Skywalker in the title is Kylo Ren? Because that sound like something JJ would do.

No, lots of people thought about that, or that Rey is actually a Skywalker, or that Luke is some kind of beyond-the-grave bad-ass. The theory that I like, which doesn't quite ring true, is that jedi goes away and is replaced by the term Skywalker. So those with force powers become Skywalkers. The title isn't quite grammatically correct for that interpretation, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, lots of people thought about that, or that Rey is actually a Skywalker, or that Luke is some kind of beyond-the-grave bad-ass. The theory that I like, which doesn't quite ring true, is that jedi goes away and is replaced by the term Skywalker. So those with force powers become Skywalkers. The title isn't quite grammatically correct for that interpretation, though.
[Laughs in "The Rising of the Shield Hero"]

*eye twitch*

GasBandit

Staff member
@MindDetective

Yeah, I guess that kinda does need an explanation. The big "anime of the moment" for the last few months has been an adaptation of a manga I'd been reading for a while before that called Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, which has been translated with the ever so slight grammar error into english as "Rising of the Shield Hero" when obviously it should be "Rise of the Shield Hero." But it stuck that way, and now we all have to deal with it.

I'm so jonesed for this movie. I know some people on Twitter are ready for Star Wars to grow up or become Scorsese films, and The Mandalorian is there for that, but to me the core movies have never been about sophisticated misery. For me, Star Wars is best when it's emotionally engaging, which is why I dislike the prequels so much yet I can overlook some of the clunky dialogue in the OT. If my heart is there, I'm happy.

Well, so long as JJ is there, you'll get to relive those original movies FOREVER.

PS: No one's ever really gone.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, so long as JJ is there, you'll get to relive those original movies FOREVER.

PS: No one's ever really gone.

Was there a point to that 4½ minutes of mocking repetition? Because, in Star Wars canon, every single living creature that dies becomes part of the force, so they aren't really gone. They're still around in some form or fashion as a part of the Force. It's not an out of nowhere statement. It has a basis in Star Wars lore. What makes that line worth mocking at all, let alone droning on and on about? I was expecting a point to that montage, since you posted it, but no point ever came. Why did you post that shit?

Was there a point to that 4½ minutes of mocking repetition? Because, in Star Wars canon, every single living creature that dies becomes part of the force, so they aren't really gone. They're still around in some form or fashion as a part of the Force. It's not an out of nowhere statement. It has a basis in Star Wars lore. What makes that line worth mocking at all, let alone droning on and on about? I was expecting a point to that montage, since you posted it, but no point ever came. Why did you post that shit?
Gotta get those clicks, make that content, like, comment, and subscribe.

There's nothing objectively bad about the direction suggested in the trailer; the issue I figure people are having is that it's not challenging.

I watch plenty of challenging stuff. There isn't a shortage of it. Real life can be pretty challenging; watching the news these days is challenging. I'm not sure why it's so important for this outer space drama series to follow along.

Gotta get those clicks, make that content, like, comment, and subscribe.

There's nothing objectively bad about the direction suggested in the trailer; the issue I figure people are having is that it's not challenging.

I watch plenty of challenging stuff. There isn't a shortage of it. Real life can be pretty challenging; watching the news these days is challenging. I'm not sure why it's so important for this outer space drama series to follow along.
I don't think it's about it not being challenging (which I don't think JJ is capable of) but more that seeing such a sharp course correction in the marketing after TLJ is a reminder of the realism of the situation: that the things we love are no longer art for the sake of baking good art, but instead cogs of a corporate machine meant to market our nostalgia to us as well as hook a new generation on a franchise they can monetize for decades to come.

It's not too the point of Yoda doing the floss yet, but I wouldn't put it past them. And this comes from someone who loves the new Star Wars movies and the mcu, but the high level of slightly artificial gloss does sometimes hit me just right to remind me of the capitalistic hellscape we exist in.

I don't think it's about it not being challenging (which I don't think JJ is capable of) but more that seeing such a sharp course correction in the marketing after TLJ is a reminder of the realism of the situation: that the things we love are no longer art for the sake of baking good art, but instead cogs of a corporate machine meant to market our nostalgia to us as well as hook a new generation on a franchise they can monetize for decades to come.

It's not too the point of Yoda doing the floss yet, but I wouldn't put it past them. And this comes from someone who loves the new Star Wars movies and the mcu, but the high level of slightly artificial gloss does sometimes hit me just right to remind me of the capitalistic hellscape we exist in.
That I get. It's not a pleasant situation and I'm glad Disney will be taking a break from Star Wars movies after Episode IX.

There's the movie and there's the marketing, and my hope is for the movie to be so well-executed that none of that crap crosses my mind while watching it.

Somehow I can't remember the ads for Episode VIII. At all, I have zero recollection.