Star Wars Behind-the-Scenes and/or 'Making of'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until two months ago, I had never before seen a Star Wars movie- at all. None. Nada. Gar nichts. General Specific then came into my life and slowly introduced me to the badassery that is the War of Stars.

Last night, we finished Episode 3 and I'm now interested in watching some 'Making of' documentaries and/or behind-the-scenes footage. I love seeing how things are filmed, developed, and created. I have all 3 extended DVD packages of the LOTR movies, which I have watched in their entirety more than once. This is the sort of thing I'm interested in finding in the Star Wars universe.

Rambling aside; what movies, documentaries, or featurettes would you recommend we check out? I know there are plenty to pick from, but are there a few that stand out above the others?

There's a really amazing documentary thing about the making of Star Wars on Youtube. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, I watched it at a party / big group of people a while back, and it was in several parts.

There are amazing fan films on Youtube of people having lightsaber duels, which is totally not what you asked for, but I just gotta mention them anyway, because of how awesome they are.

Dave

Staff member
Tell me, TELL ME this doesn't mean you haven't seen 4 5 and 6 yet? You didn't watch the prequels FIRST did you?
I didn't even catch that. If he made her watch the prequels first he's a terrible boyfriend and should feel terrible.

GasBandit

Staff member
I didn't even catch that. If he made her watch the prequels first he's a terrible boyfriend and should feel terrible.
Were it me, I would have gone with the "flashback" play order. 4,5,1,2,3,6.

that way, you get the vader origin story right at the end of empire, when luke is convalescing after cloud city and trying to come to grips with finding out vader is his father. And I never thought I would put this in spoilers unironically.

GasBandit

Staff member
Were it me, I would have gone with the "hatchet" play order. 4,5,_,2,3,6.
I disagree. Anyone aspiring to star wars fandom must, must see episode 1. So they realize that Lucas turned to the dark side. It is like a rite of passage.

Just... not first.

Is that a co-op game Le General and I could play together?
KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are both single player RPGs. No multiplayer. Compare and contrast to their sequel, TOR, which is a misshapen abomination of an MMO (sort of).

But now that you've finished the 6 movies, I hope GS will give you the peak into GasBandit's soul that is the Christmas Special. :D

Fret not, dear people! We watched the movies in the order that they were released in theaters. All 6 movies have now been seen by one Ms. Dill and will be seen again. I like 'em! :D

Last night, I said that Episode 3 was my favorite movie and Gen Spec looked at me with a sideways glance while asking, "You mean of the prequels, right? Not your over-all favorite movie?" Touchy! Yes, it was my favorite of the prequels! I need to watch the original 3 again to make a ruling on my favorite, but Empire Strikes Back is inching ahead in the ranks.[DOUBLEPOST=1344352686][/DOUBLEPOST]
KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are both single player RPGs. No multiplayer. Compare and contrast to their sequel, TOR, which is a misshapen abomination of an MMO (sort of).

But now that you've finished the 6 movies, I hope GS will give you the peak into GasBandit's soul that is the Christmas Special. :D
We've talked about this one and I NEED TO SEE IT! He's firmly against watching it, but I'm all for the delicious disgrace that is the Christmas Special!

GasBandit

Staff member
I've seen bits and pieces of "Clerks" from times when the movie has aired on basic cable. Keep in mind I was 8 when it came out.
It's the Gas Bandit "Choose your own forum reply" game!

If Gas Bandit says "8? Did you start yelling "Try not to suck any dicks on your way through the parking lot!" at random strangers, to the embarrasment of your parents?" turn to page 352.

If Gas Bandit says "8 when Clerks came out?! How can you possibly be legal to post in the sex thread? You're a baby! A BABY! IT'S ALWAYS 1997 IN MY MIND WHAAARGARBL" turn to page 423.

If Gas Bandit says "Oh, well, there's a discussion between the two protagonists about which star wars movie has the better ending, empire or jedi, and it exemplified the idea that real geeks like empire best. Also there's other star wars debates," then continue reading this thread.

I'm not the type of person to put emphasis on the level of one's geekery. However, if I had to pick between the two movies, Empire has the better ending hands down. After watching Jedi, I turned to Gen Spec and proclaimed, "Star Wars did NOT just end with a teddy bear party in the forest!" Empire gives you the big reveal that Vader is Luke's father while showing Luke's resistance to turn to the dark side. At the same time, the sibling relationship between Luke and Leia is foreshadowed by their telepathic connection. Han and Leia admit their badass love for one another right before he is freaking frozen and carried off into space by a sketchy bounty hunter. At the end of Empire, there's this whole set up for the finale to the juicy, succulent awesomeness of this space opera. It leaves you demanding to know what happens next while not feeling overly-jaded by any major cliffhangers. If Empire would have ended with Vader asking Luke to come to the dark side and nothing more, then that would have been too much, but having him deny Vader and then take a stance against the empire gives you a nice conclusion without being too satisfying. I'm done with dinner, but I'm saving room for dessert.

And that is how I feel about that.

Dave

Staff member
Originally, the Ewoks were going to be more Wookies. But Lucas wanted to appeal to the younger audience so he ruined it for all the people who made him money by watching New Hope and Empire. Empire was such a grown-up movie and didn't talk down to you at all. Jedi threw all thought out the window and turned it into a big fucking joke.

I was 13-14 when Jedi came out, the whole time they were on the planet... I just sat there saying "fucking baby bears" killing 6 foot tall men in armor with little sticks...

The booby traps are the only thing that made that entire sequence plausible.

Originally, the Ewoks were going to be more Wookies. But Lucas wanted to appeal to the younger audience so he ruined it for all the people who made him money by watching New Hope and Empire. Empire was such a grown-up movie and didn't talk down to you at all. Jedi threw all thought out the window and turned it into a big fucking joke.

Mofo Wookie showdown?! YES! Oh, that would have been so awesome. You can really tell how commercialized things became towards the end of the trilogy.

Ok, several comments here.

1) I have Kotor 1 & 2, so Dill may play them once I get them back from the friend I loaned them to.

2) I have both Fanboys and Clerks, so both films may be watched.

3) I insisted she see the movies in the proper order (4,5,6,1,2,3) and the Original Cut of the first three as well.

4) I will watch episode 1 again before I see the Christmas Special again

You poor kids. You totally missed out on the 1970's drive-in movie experience. I got to watch A New Hope (which was just Star Wars at the time) in my nightgown, in the back of my parents' car when I was about 5 years old. It was groovy. :)

You poor kids. You totally missed out on the 1970's drive-in movie experience. I got to watch A New Hope (which was just Star Wars at the time) in my nightgown, in the back of my parents' car when I was about 5 years old. It was groovy. :)
I saw the New-and-Improved* version of A New Hope in my own car a few years back. Does that count? :p

*Not actually improved.

Hear that? All you have to do is watch Episode 1 again, and you can watch the Christmas special!
I thought the standard reward for having to watch Ep 1 was something we had a thread for*? For watching the Christmas Special, well, before starting that, we have another thread you might want to check out**.
I don't see the upside to a transaction where one is reward for the other.

*I mean the "I just had sex thread"
**I mean the "I'm too hig/wasted/drunk" thread

I thought the standard reward for having to watch Ep 1 was something we had a thread for*? For watching the Christmas Special, well, before starting that, we have another thread you might want to check out**.
I don't see the upside to a transaction where one is reward for the other.

*I mean the "I just had sex thread"
**I mean the "I'm too hig/wasted/drunk" thread

The reward for watching Ep 1 isn't so much as a reward as it is a recreational activity. That's what he gets for dating a younger woman and being so f-ing sexy! :D

The reward for the Christmas Special is nixed based on the fact that I am sober and have been for many years now. In order to get Gen Spec to consider watching the Xmas failure, I'd have to do something I swore my feminist ways would never permit me to do; paint on the Slave Leia Costume. :rage: I hate that damn costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.