[TV] Star Trek: Picard (Spoilers)

I just finished season one today. Did anyone else see it?

I kind of wish he had stayed on the vineyard and had low stakes adventures with his dog. I still the dog should have been called Reginald Barkly. I hope they can check in with more of the TNG cast in the next season though.

Dave

Staff member
Oh shit. @Frank is gonna see this thread and lose his shit. He's talked about it in the What TV are you watching thread.

All caught up on that now. No talk about what they did with Data. How come they could put Picard's mind in a robot but not his? I've read a lot of stuff online about how it was a beautiful send off for the character that undid the problems with how he was killed in Nemesis but I don't see it. I think I'd much rather have each TNG character have a series than two more of Picard. TNG was strong because of the ensemble. No disrespect to Patrick Stewart for carrying it through the first two seasons and letting the other actors find their footing.

I still need to watch the final two episodes but since we now live in a post-pandemic world, my normal watching partner might as well live in another country.

Oh boy, you can get a month of CBS all access for free right now, and I'm finally getting myself to finish The Mandalorian, so I might as well watch this shit show too.

I WATCHED THE FINAL TWO EPISODES.

Here's my predictions for season 2.

Picard gets drafted into Section 31 and has to put his ragtag crew back together again for a suicide mission.

Here's my prediction for how season 3 ends.

Picard has to choose between a green, a red and a blue option. None make any sense.

When I heard people comparing this Mass Effect, I had no idea just how much it would be by the end of the season. Good God those last two episodes were spectacularly shit. Hey all, did you know there's another Soong running around making more androids? No? Do you like magic space flowers that are too fast for space ships to outmaneuver? No? Did you like the visual of a Borg cube coming to the rescue only to mean nothing because all it did was get fucked up by magic space flowers and become meaningless, except to get the useless Romulan ninja character who mattered so fucking little and did so much less than little that I can't remember his fucking name back into the group? No? Do you like hundreds of paper airplane Romulan "WARBIRDS" that are basically smaller than the Defiant having a standoff with Riker in a hastily made up Discovery bridge along with 200 of his IDENTICAL Starfleet friends. Seriously, every Starfleet vessel was the same? Do you like them having a second funeral for Data just cause? Do you like a magical space ocarina that does literally whatever you want it to do to such an extent that Dr. Who's fucking Sonic Screwdriver would be jealous? Do you like shit writing and even shitter editing that makes even the second season of Discovery look like fucking The Inner Light?

I'm gonna gather my thoughts and try to be more coherent but if this fucking show isn't going to bother why should I?

Fuck this show. Fuck Alex Kurtzman.

Last edited:
I'll add this too, I think Patrick Stewart is as much to blame for this as anyone. Next Gen Star Trek has been an ego feed for him for so long. William Shatner only fucked up 1 TOS movie with his weird ego bullshit. P Stew fucked up 3.

This show definitely has a lot of plot amnesia, and I can't help but to think that I would like this show more if it wasn't claiming to be Star Trek.

How come no one ever imagined a way to embody Data in all the years they had the ocarina thing. I feel like maybe he wouldn't have wanted to die again if he hadn't been trapped in that quantum simulation alone for 20 years.

How come no one ever imagined a way to embody Data in all the years they had the ocarina thing. I feel like maybe he wouldn't have wanted to die again if he hadn't been trapped in that quantum simulation alone for 20 years.
Because this show makes no sense.

Jonathan Frakes, in uniform, in the command chair (no matter how cheaply it looked like they greenscreened him onto Discovery's bridge and even worse if it was when he was directing an episode of Discovery and it was shot so poorly that it looks like it was greenscreened) is the closest this felt to being Star Trek. Patrick Stewart seemed old and tired and barely capable of being Picard, J-Frakes is still Riker, grey old man beard and all.

Jonathan Frakes, in uniform, in the command chair (no matter how cheaply it looked like they greenscreened him onto Discovery's bridge and even worse if it was when he was directing an episode of Discovery and it was shot so poorly that it looks like it was greenscreened) is the closest this felt to being Star Trek. Patrick Stewart seemed old and tired and barely capable of being Picard, J-Frakes is still Riker, grey old man beard and all.
Riker being a captain in Starfleet that an old retired Picard had to go to for help would have been a much better story.

Picard staying on the vineyard making wine would have also been a better story

Well, I finally got to
The synthetic planet
And yeah, this would have been a great Mass Effect show, but that wouldn't have the same brand recognition as Star Trek or Patrick Stewart.

Some dude on some forum wrote this and yeah, it's better.

I think it would have been really cool if instead of pulling another new Soong out of their butts, that character was Data in the new synth type body. Aging and mortal now, like Picard. Having basically fully achieved his lifelong goal. (Just say that these new synth bodies are naturally mortal due to being practically organic)
Revived by Maddox (digitally at first, as in the final episode) and later transferred to one of the new synth type bodies they developed together. In secret, during the synth ban. In hiding for obvious reasons. Data was the first, and the rest followed. A new race of his children just wanting to live.
Himself emotionally torn at first about how best to provide for his children, and whether he can even still align himself with picard/starfleet, or if they can even coexist anymore. (Of course coming to the same conclusion as Soong eventually did in the episode, basically serving the same purpose in the plot)
Also having to emotionally deal with one of his "children" being an asshole twin (Sutra, calling back memories of Lore for Data) and the death of Saga. Picard solemnly sharing in his grief at the loss of family, namechecking Rene Picard, something something "human condition."
And then Data's the one that gets to welcome Picard to the synth condition at the end.
Ban is lifted, Soji asks Data what they will do. Data mentions to Soji that he has a friend he hasn't seen in a long time that he'd like her to meet (spoiler: he means geordi).
He's back, he looks like old man Spiner, and he's definitely mortal so no worries about that.
Fanfiction over, please ignore.

Some dude on some forum wrote this and yeah, it's better.

I think it would have been really cool if instead of pulling another new Soong out of their butts, that character was Data in the new synth type body. Aging and mortal now, like Picard. Having basically fully achieved his lifelong goal. (Just say that these new synth bodies are naturally mortal due to being practically organic)
Revived by Maddox (digitally at first, as in the final episode) and later transferred to one of the new synth type bodies they developed together. In secret, during the synth ban. In hiding for obvious reasons. Data was the first, and the rest followed. A new race of his children just wanting to live.
Himself emotionally torn at first about how best to provide for his children, and whether he can even still align himself with picard/starfleet, or if they can even coexist anymore. (Of course coming to the same conclusion as Soong eventually did in the episode, basically serving the same purpose in the plot)
Also having to emotionally deal with one of his "children" being an asshole twin (Sutra, calling back memories of Lore for Data) and the death of Saga. Picard solemnly sharing in his grief at the loss of family, namechecking Rene Picard, something something "human condition."
And then Data's the one that gets to welcome Picard to the synth condition at the end.
Ban is lifted, Soji asks Data what they will do. Data mentions to Soji that he has a friend he hasn't seen in a long time that he'd like her to meet (spoiler: he means geordi).
He's back, he looks like old man Spiner, and he's definitely mortal so no worries about that.
Fanfiction over, please ignore.
That is absolutely what I thought they were going to do. It's still retconnable but jesus...

I KNOW this would have literally just been fan service wankery, but wouldn't this moment have felt better like this?

The Sovereign and Intrepid would only have been like 20-30 year old designs at that point and Starfleet keeps ships around for MUCH longer than that (Miranda, Excelsior). But given the absolutely dull as dishwater and downright awful designs of all the ships in the show (I literally have trouble expressing my distaste for the shit Romulan ships) it's obvious how little the showrunners gave a fuck about it. It's not like the hero and villain ships of Star Trek haven't, I dunno, ALWAYS been characters unto themselves.

1587017277189.png

You're perfect sweetie.