Star Trek Discovery

Oh shit, the other silliest line in the whole thing that made me laugh out loud was the Doug Jones alien saying his world has no food chain and that his species was purely prey.

What the fuck do you eat Doug? Even eating plants makes you part of a food chain.

Oh shit, the other silliest line in the whole thing that made me laugh out loud was the Doug Jones alien saying his world has no food chain and that his species was purely prey.

What the fuck do you eat Doug? Even eating plants makes you part of a food chain.
He's a sentient Cow! :confused: What's sad is I found him to probably the most interesting character. Of the 2 we were given. :thumbsdown:

He's a sentient Cow! :confused: What's sad is I found him to probably the most interesting character. Of the 2 we were given. :thumbsdown:
I really liked the character, just that aspect was really silly.

At least they mentioned that Tellurites and Andorians exist. I mean, for being founding federation members, they sure don't show up much in any series (except for Enterprise).

So, I just finished the two episodes, and despite all the doom and gloom I heard surrounding the series before watching it, I actually didn't think it was that bad.

I thought the special effects were top notch, and I liked hearing the retro sound effects on the bridge. I liked other little details too--like actually seeing the emergency forcefields holding the ship together on the exterior shots. I don't hate the klingons, and they're better than what I feared, but yes, I think they were a redesign for the sake of redesign.

Honestly, this will always be "klingon" to me:

I also didn't quite understand why they had to resign the ships either. I appreciate the fact some of the basic design was retained, but it also seemed unnecessary. I suppose it gave them a more "alien" design, and it could be argued that sometimes, things in Trek aren't alien enough. I'm somewhat neutral on it. I liked at least some of the lore was retained.

Anyhow, I thought it was alright, and I'll probably watch additional episodes through, uh, various means.

I still wish they had set it post Voyager. There's no reason in the first two episodes why they couldn't have. Heck it would have made their holograms work better in continuity.

I wonder how the Federation will give up the serious suits and go business casual when the Enterprise launches.
They just need that one captain who gets sick of not knowing his crew:

"I don't know if any of you are doing what you're supposed to be doing! That's it; command and navigation, you're wearing gold now! Blue shirts are going on the science and medical staff! And the red shirts....well, it sucks to be you guys!"

So, I read something that might just be wishful thinking, but you know what, I hope it's right. A guy said that you don't start new drivers in a race car. If they started the new show in high octane Star Trek mode, IE, cerebral and slow, you'd get no one who watched the movies to stick around to watch the show. But if you start them out with drama and action and shit, they might stick around to get into the more Star Trek aspects of it when it, HOPEFULLY, does some of that.

Then his species, as prey, is at the bottom of the food chain.
But what if everything else on his planet eats nothing but his species? Then it's not a chain... well, maybe a key chain, i guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1506698165,1506698077][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, I read something that might just be wishful thinking, but you know what, I hope it's right. A guy said that you don't start new drivers in a race car. If they started the new show in high octane Star Trek mode, IE, cerebral and slow, you'd get no one who watched the movies to stick around to watch the show. But if you start them out with drama and action and shit, they might stick around to get into the more Star Trek aspects of it when it, HOPEFULLY, does some of that.
Let hope so... but they could have at least given Klingons some damn Klingon hair...

Visually it was very impressive but I found the first two episodes to be a little dull.

I almost nodded off a few times.

Visually it was very impressive but I found the first two episodes to be a little dull.

I almost nodded off a few times.
I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. The 3rd episode seemed somewhat boring. But I know they are still story building so I will give it some more time. That and I love trek.

fade

Staff member
I have to agree with Kovac. The pacing was glacial. And I don't usually mind slow pacing.

I wasn't totally on board with the pilot but I'm kind of digging it after episode three slower and the world they are building.

I'm certainly onboard with the show for the rest of the show.

TNG had a HORRIBLE first episode (And entire first season) and yet it still managed to get good.

And with Enterprise it took until season 3 before I started enjoying it.

So I watched the first episode when it aired on CBS and thought it wasn't too bad, didn't agree with all their choices but I was willing to give it a go. Went to watch it the next week and..... WTF it's not on TV?!?!?!? You have to sign up to a new effing streaming service to watch it.

*shrug* Guess I won't be watching it after all.

One of the folks here* couldn't stand the wait (nor the alternatives) and so paid for CBS just for this.
We sat down to watch it tonight.
It buffered for 12 minutes straight.
We didn't watch it.

--Patrick
*Not me.

Trekspertise is a great Youtube channel and his episode reviews are fucking wonderful. Guy has some fantastic insights.

I've been watching it and it gets better after the first two episodes. They had next to no character development in them, as most of the characters on screen don't appear after these episodes.

Last episode had two firsts; first openly gay couple, which was good in that it came off as a complete after thought and helped explain some previous social interactions nicely.

Second first? two back to back f-bombs. And I thought heh, Star Fleet are sailors after all.

I can eat my words about the ships design. I hated it when the first trailer showed it off, but now I really dig it.

The spinning saucer is kinda silly, but whatever.

I want a model of it.

WHICH IS CURRENTLY BEING PRODUCED by Eaglemoss.

First two are Shenzhou and Discovery.