Something Unfortunate is Coming...

...OH YEAH! That's a children's series that exists....that I read as a kid...and am just now remembering. And now to find those books again!

Probably not much, since I read people were unhappy that the movie crunched up the first three books into bite-sized bits. They'll probably flesh it out quite a bit, include much more of what's written.

I'm on board, but only if we get a proper fucking ending for the series and no just having it... end like in the books.

fade

Staff member
I liked the movie, but I never read the books. Jim Carrey was in his element.

So, no one has commented on this since the series dropped.

From the perspective of someone who has neither read the books, nor watched the Jim Carrey film, I think the series is decent. It's filmed very much in the style of Pushing Daisies, so I think it's a good style for this type of story.

I can infer the writing style of the books from the show, it would seem. I'm pretty sure it's the kind of book I would have loved as a burgeoning young word monger.

Each book is split into two 45-50 minute episode, so I'm sure it is able to expand greatly beyond what the movie allowed. Neil Patrick Harris is, well, Neil Patrick Harris. The children are played pretty well, but I find the Henchmen to be probably my favorite part of the show so far. I just finished up The Reptile Room: Part 2, and so far, I'm hoping it picks up a little more.

Overall, I find it perfectly watchable, but nothing that I will be touting as the second coming of media.

My family has really enjoyed the series as well. Production values are good, NPH does a fantastic job as the villain, and the nature of the humor is right up our alley. They include enough of the explanations to inject humor without going quite as overboard as the original books did (of which I only read a few, so perhaps that's not a fair assessment anyway).

What really grabbed me, though, was the music. They've replaced the "Previously, on lemony snicket..." style info dump with a funny, reasonably well developed song, and the music throughout each episode is enjoyable. And, if I recall (it's been a week or two since I finished) there's a new song for each episode (no musical style singing and dancing, though) somewhere in the episode which really drives home the point being made in a given episode.

Also, just a constant stream of humor throughout.

It's easily worth the cost of a month's netflix subscription to watch the entire season.