So. The move. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Not trying to be a jackass.

But where are all these new people we were supposed to be getting?

All these forums have done is destroy what's familiar, and now people can't even pick the style they want. (Unless it's Serenity, bright whiteness, or the slop of mud that is WarC.)

I usually get used to things extremely quickly, and I still cannot call this place home. Before, Halforum was our castle. Now it's just this little dinky living room some friend is letting us use.

I understand Dave's been working extremely hard, but I have seen very very few fresh faces, and if anything, we lost a buttload more people.

I do not believe you have been looking around, there have been quite a few new faces since the move, either "new" or "lurkers coming to light".

Also we are STILL in the moving PROCESS. Like, not even "open for business" kind of thing yet, why would we be expecting a flood of new people yet?

S

Silvanesti

and how is this all that different. We have a "S" at the end of the name. big fucking deal. Whats this great change you're talking about that makes this not feel like home?

Dave has done good by us and put a lot of effort into it. I don't see you doing jack shit to get the word out.

I am already starting to feel at home again. I think things will improve as time goes along. Now with the plans Dave has for us I doubt anything will fill the same as it did but that doesn't mean it won't be better.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm still getting used to it, but like Shego said, it's a process. I didn't know if halforum would last at first, but we did ok there. I think it'll get better for you with time.

R

Rubicon

I'd kill for the default vB theme, Serenity is nice but the default theme looks pretty generic so at a glance it's fairly worksafe for when I'm browsing at work.

S

Silvanesti

I honestly fail to see what is so substancially different that its worth complaining about.

doomdragon6

Staff member
and how is this all that different. We have a "S" at the end of the name. big fucking deal. Whats this great change you're talking about that makes this not feel like home?

Dave has done good by us and put a lot of effort into it. I don't see you doing jack shit to get the word out.
Walk outside. Go ahead, I'll give you time to unplug your laptop.

Kay, now walk a few blocks. Or hell, drive a few miles.

Pick a random house there. Now go walk in.

Is that your house?

Is that your home?

Yes, it's still a house. But it's not YOUR house.

And fuck you, I made a video intro.

S

Silvanesti

Walk outside. Go ahead, I'll give you time to unplug your laptop.

Kay, now walk a few blocks. Or hell, drive a few miles.

Pick a random house there. Now go walk in.

Is that your house?

Is that your home?

Yes, it's still a house. But it's not YOUR house.

And fuck you, I made a video intro.[/QUOTE]

haha, its a different url, by one letter. I still fail to see this giant change.

Cajungal

Staff member
It feels weird because this doesn't have the same new feeling as the first halforum did. We flooded in there at first because it was new and fun. Now we're still the same forum, just in a different place with some changes. We'll get used to them like we did when we first moved.

Dave and others have worked to keep us comfortable here. Criticism is fine and even necessary, but I think it's a little early to complain. Like Shego said, it's a process.

It feels weird because this doesn't have the same new feeling as the first halforum did. We flooded in there at first because it was new and fun. Now we're still the same forum, just in a different place with some changes. We'll get used to them like we did when we first moved.

Dave and others have worked to keep us comfortable here. Criticism is fine and even necessary, but I think it's a little early to complain. Like Shego said, it's a process.
I think part of the excitement of the first Halforum was because it was a frantic rush to find each other. It was like the party got broken up and we had to find a new place, everyone is jumping into cars and on the phone with former strangers, now instant friends. On this occasion, we had time to think and plan the company trip, which is usually not the most exciting start to adventures.

Cajungal

Staff member

I think part of the excitement of the first Halforum was because it was a frantic rush to find each other. It was like the party got broken up and we had to find a new place, everyone is jumping into cars and on the phone with former strangers, now instant friends. On this occasion, we had time to think and plan the company trip, which is usually not the most exciting start to adventures.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it, thank you.

It's the people who make this place feel like home for me. Not the board format or the style or the URL. Did we lose some people? I think so. But I also think enough of us remain to make this feel like home for me.

S

Silvanesti

It's the people who make this place feel like home for me. Not the board format or the style or the URL. Did we lose some people? I think so. But I also think enough of us remain to make this feel like home for me.
This. Hell, we even managed to pick up some new guys that are already pretty bitchin'

The issue I have with the new board is minor, and that is I feel splitting up the forum into various sections like Gaming, Movies, etc... was a bad idea. While I understand why it was done, I find myself missing out of discussions because when I come to talk about games, I visit the game board and then after realize I have nothing to say, I leave. I don't even visit the general forum because it was not on my mind. Sometimes I will do the opposite, and miss out on a good discussion in the game forum because I am concentrating on this forum.

I liked the fact that everything we talked about really stayed in one free flow forum, politics, games, news, movies, it allowed me to see discussions I would have missed otherwise.

That is my only annoyance, and I will get over it.

The issue I have with the new board is minor, and that is I feel splitting up the forum into various sections like Gaming, Movies, etc... was a bad idea. While I understand why it was done, I find myself missing out of discussions because when I come to talk about games, I visit the game board and then after realize I have nothing to say, I leave. I don't even visit the general forum because it was not on my mind. Sometimes I will do the opposite, and miss out on a good discussion in the game forum because I am concentrating on this forum.

I liked the fact that everything we talked about really stayed in one free flow forum, politics, games, news, movies, it allowed me to see discussions I would have missed otherwise.

That is my only annoyance, and I will get over it.
I'm happy with the forum all in all but this I agree with, too many subforums. Though with how often I get the chance to check thanks to double shifts at work I suppose it works out for me. :p

Well, I sort of agree with Scythe.
Oh, and I do think we've lost more regular posters, so far ,than we've gained.
Still, I'm not complaining too much....

M

Mr. Lawface

Before the move, I was starting to actually post semi-frequently and not be a lurker.

Post-move, I have found I hardly ever post at all. I am a lurker once again.

Edit: Also, my fantastic drawings are no longer being used for the different forum sections. This is a travesty.

I should clarify that all in all I don't care about the move, I'm just happy to be here and posting because you dudes are bad enough to save the President.

doomdragon6

Staff member
It's kind of hard to name lost people without a reference, like the top posters list from the old halforum.

The only reason I noticed is because before, I would see discussion from everyone everywhere, intermingling with each other. Now, I just see the same, like, 20 people.

Well, I sort of agree with Scythe.
Oh, and I do think we've lost more regular posters, so far ,than we've gained.
Still, I'm not complaining too much....
I have to disagree, I can count around 5-6 new members, how many "lost" can you name?[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen
Scarlet Varlet
Neon Grue
HoboNinja
A Troll (under that name *cough*)
Kissinger
Hollow

Hardly seen
Mav
Gruebeard
err, the other ape, besides Jake, whatshisname. I know who I mean.

I admit, not all losses are necessarily caused by the switch; or even worth considering a loss. Just saying, some people have dropped off the radar, apparently. Yes, I'm aware I have Gruebeard and Hollow listed seperately, never mind that.
*edit* part of the seeming loss seems to be that quite a few people are sticking to their own subboard. GB probably won't venture out of the politics board, while most people seem to staty out of there. It's a loss, because there used to be al ot of people talking about politics, and now there're only a handlful, on one hand, and because GB sometimes posted something worthwhile in other threads, too. Just an example, I'm sure you'll dig up a GB post outside of politics now, but anyway,they're there. Both comics and politics seem to have drawn some people away from general.

Neon dropped off the radar a long time ago. Not sure who A Troll's other account(s) is, so I can't comment if he's still around. As for the rest, maybe they just need a bit more time to find us.

The other ape, you mean Steve?

I've seen HoboNinja post a few times. You also have to remember school is starting up for some folks so if they have a heavy class load there won't be much sight of them. Also, Gruebeard didn't post much the last couple months anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.