So onlive revisited minus the subscription fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OnLive's Monthly Subscription Fees Are Dead

Recently onlive has dropped the subscription part of their service, though that never actually went into effect anyway. I had up until now only a veiled interest in what they were offering but with cutting of the subs I decided to check it out.

After having built and paid for a half decent gaming computer last year and then having the thing die on me I wasn't really in the mood to try again and had been kinda pissed off at myself for wasting the money. On top of that I also didn't have the money to build a second one so soon.

Now, as it stands the game selection, apart from a few, is terrible. However, one thing they offer which I didn't realize is the ability to essentially rent pc games for 3 or 5 days. You can also "purchase" a game outright for what seems to be close to retail price.

I was at least ok with the video quality of the games that I did try. I hadn't noticed too severe of a delay concerning user input and the characters feedback though I haven't done much testing, it was only on the demos so far and it wasn't anything multiplayer.

I'm still a bit wary of the whole not actually owning the games but the renting part is what's really piqued my interest. At this point I still prefer steam for actually owning the games I buy digitally, as much as you can be said to, but may try the rental thing out in the near future.

Anyone elses thoughts?

figmentPez

Staff member
Without the monthly fees, the renting actually starts to become interesting. Anyone know how much the rental prices are?

Not all games seem to offer the rental option and not all of them are the same price. 3 days seems to be from 3.99-5.99 and 5 days from 6.99-8.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.