So I got a GoPro

Can I recommend to you a product similar to Defishr?
(There are many, this was just the first one I pulled up)
Especially for 0:53-1:10. Ow, my eyes.

--Patrick

--Patrick
Looks like they have a version specifically for action cameras that performs both stabilization, fisheye removal, and a few other useful effects for a bit less:

http://vegasaur.com/ProDRENALIN

I'm getting two gopro knockoffs next week, so I'm interested in this stuff, thanks for pointing out this software.

thanks for pointing out this software.
Many of your better editing packages already have this (or something like it) built-in, but if you're just looking for a tool for your toolbox, I know there are plenty of single-(or few-)purpose tools out there that are handy to have (and cheaper!).

--Patrick

Well, I'm not a fan of editing, so single purpose tools are useful. Push them through with a script and publish it...

I'm getting two gopro knockoffs next week, so I'm interested in this stuff, thanks for pointing out this software.

Which one? I was thinking about picking up one from SJCAM, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with whatever you get.

Which one? I was thinking about picking up one from SJCAM, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with whatever you get.
https://morningsave.com/deals/nabi-square-hd-action-cam-dash-cam

$39 each ($35 and free shipping if you are a VMP), good reviews on amazon:

Amazon product

I didn't do any real research. They seem to produce decent output, are gopro compatible in many ways (mounts and accessories) have hdmi and A/V output, and a variety of modes (looping recording, time lapse, etc).

https://morningsave.com/deals/nabi-square-hd-action-cam-dash-cam

$39 each ($35 and free shipping if you are a VMP), good reviews on amazon:

Amazon product

I didn't do any real research. They seem to produce decent output, are gopro compatible in many ways (mounts and accessories) have hdmi and A/V output, and a variety of modes (looping recording, time lapse, etc).
You guys, don't you realize? If he puts one of these on each of his kids, he'll have a force big enough to monitor the world!

--Patrick
Thanks! Didn't know they had those. I bought the Session 4 for a "family action cam" - Disney World, biking, swimming, etc... and was a little bummed when I found out it was a fisheye lens (great for showing off action shots, not so much for just walking around).

Honestly, I can't wait to edit up some motorcycle footage. Any recommendations on a good microphone recorder? Obviously my commentary can't be heard with the camera mounted to the helmet, so I was thinking of getting a recorder to sync up my voice to the footage.

Dave

Staff member
I have a GoPro and I've done fuckall with it. It just sits there. I need to get more active.

Maybe I'll get a head mount and wear it during my softball games...

I have a GoPro and I've done fuckall with it. It just sits there. I need to get more active.

Maybe I'll get a head mount and wear it during my softball games...
YES! Get the suction mount and mount it to your car windshield. Talk to yourself. Youtube blog. MOUNTS MOUNTS MOUNTS! I need to buy like 20 of them!

Thanks! Didn't know they had those. I bought the Session 4 for a "family action cam" - Disney World, biking, swimming, etc... and was a little bummed when I found out it was a fisheye lens (great for showing off action shots, not so much for just walking around).

Honestly, I can't wait to edit up some motorcycle footage. Any recommendations on a good microphone recorder? Obviously my commentary can't be heard with the camera mounted to the helmet, so I was thinking of getting a recorder to sync up my voice to the footage.
A lot of youtube creators just use a microphone that plugs into their smartphone's headphone jack. Some just use the microphone that's built into the phone earplugs. It's a cheap easy way to get started, and if you find you're doing it a lot you might invest in a better quality lavalier mic that plugs into the smartphone, or perhaps spend the money on a real recorder, but it's just another thing to carry around and the phones with a good microphone are fairly high quality.[DOUBLEPOST=1463753387,1463753098][/DOUBLEPOST]
I need to buy like 20 of them!
Here's a cheap kit that contains a pretty good assortment. Once you've had some experience with them you'll know which ones you use often and want to replace with high quality mounts:

Amazon product

Amazon item B011XRBWI2, "Dreampark (21 in 1) Accessories Outdoor Sports Bundle Kit for GoPro" for $36

Dave

Staff member
I talked to a couple guys in my softball team. They think it's a great idea. So now I'm buying a head-strap for the camera.

Also mount one on the bat near the handgrip pointing toward the hitting end. And one just above the catcher's mitt. One above home plate pointing down.

Actually, just buy a thousand and mount them everywhere, then do bullet time sequences.

fade

Staff member
GoPro makes a 3D rig and there's a click box right in the GoPro Studio (bundled) software for removing fisheye right at import.

EDIT: The GoPro Studio software knows how to import/merge 3D setups, too.

I have one. They're great. Don't buy official mounts though. Amazon and eBay both have tons of good quality knockoffs for a fraction of the price.

A lot of youtube creators just use a microphone that plugs into their smartphone's headphone jack. Some just use the microphone that's built into the phone earplugs. It's a cheap easy way to get started, and if you find you're doing it a lot you might invest in a better quality lavalier mic that plugs into the smartphone
...like this one for US$20, if you're so inclined.
(bumped for potentially useful info)
Also handy for any other budding filmmakers/podcasters out there.

--Patrick

I love scooters! Especially Vespas in Dumb and Dumber colors!
My family teases me because not only did I used to have one of these, but I still think it was cool:

But yo, it was 125ccs (not the elite 80 as shown here), and would 60mph with a tailwind and I spent like 27 cents a week on gas on the thing.

I used to have a 72cc Honda C70, it could get up to 45MPH (after some work). Fun times.
I think the one I had the most fun with (as a novice) was a 1987 Rebel 250, never went much beyond that, couldn't afford the insurance for anything bigger.

--Patrick