1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

Slow speed on same wifi network

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ravenpoe, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Forum God

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB8,805
    You might remember me posting that I needed to replace my laptop. I did, and the new one works great. So great, in fact, that it gets about double the download speeds than my desktop, which is connected to the same wifi network.

What could be causing the slower speeds on my desktop? A wired connection is not an option, the only available internet connection comes from an LTE hotspot. Testing has been done with each being the only device connected to the hotspot, and are fairly consistent. Where do I even start looking?

2. Dave

Dave I'm not that fucking old! Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB14,624
    Firewall?

3. Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Forum God

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB8,805
    Just the built in windows firewall (both machines are running Windows 10), no throttling or anything of the sort set.

4. Dave

Dave I'm not that fucking old! Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB14,624
    NIC drivers?

5. figmentPez

figmentPez Cosplay Czar Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB3,292
    Are the devices using the same revision of WiFi and the same frequency? If your desktop only has a 2.4Ghz radio and your new laptop is connecting on 5Ghz, then that would easily account for getting twice the speed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Forum God

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB8,805
    I actually have no idea, or how to check.

7. grub

grub Full Participant

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,753
    what are the brands and models?

8. Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe Forum God

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB8,805
    This is my desktop adapter, which claims to support 5ghz

9. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB29,735
    It could even be something as stupid as one being closer to your refrigerator than the other.
    There are any number of free stumbler/wifi analyzer utilities to help you find out how strong the signal is from your problem location, as well as reveal the protocol, channel, and frequency.

--Patrick

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. stienman

stienman GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF ENERGY

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB15,525
    I'd look at the specific adaptors in use. Perhaps the old laptop is only 802.11n while the LTE hotspot and new laptop support 802.11ac (or worse, old could be g...).

As others point out, 2.4ghz vs 5ghz makes a difference.

The number of antennas also matters. If your old laptop only has one wifi antenna and the new one and the hotspot have 2 or 4 that would affect total throughput.

Also there could be driver issues. Installing the latest drivers may magically upgrade the old laptop.

What are the speeds you're getting on each, anyway?