[Brazelton] Anthony Bourdain

Cranky was telling me about this as I was getting for work this morning. Kati is devastated, she really looked up to him. He was such an unapologetic amalgam of both class and crass and she admired the Hell out of him for it.

—Patrick

Last edited:
This really hurts. We watched No Reservations from the start and have been watching Parts Unknown as it comes on Netflix. He had fantastic interviews with ordinary people, and he inspired us to ask around for local restaurant recommendations when we travel.

I only learned of him a year or two ago when he made a YouTube series about master craftspersons.

He will be missed.

Damn, I loved Bourdain's work. Especially once he left Travel Channel and started working for CNN and started doing shows about the "non-safe" parts of the world like Beirut and Myanmar. I haven't been able to watch nearly as much as I would've liked in recent years, but I've memorized some episodes of No Reservations I've watched them so many times. I think sometime soon I'll have to cook something in his memory. Maybe some of his special herbed pizza from SE Asia that he loved so much, since I certainly can't get my hands on any fresh Squeezel.

I certainly can't get my hands on any fresh Squeezel.
Of anyone, I expected you would probably celebrate his life by preparing one of his favorite things that wasn’t featured in the show.

—Patrick

Last edited:
The man was brusque, but he loved life - or so it seemed.

Any of us who live near an In 'N Out Burger, need to have a double-double today in his memory.

Anthony Bourdain was one of my heroes, in so far as I have any at all. A man who showed the world that there was beauty and deliciousness to be found in every country, that one man's weird is another man's tasty treat, and - to all appearances, anyway - lived life to the fullest. He showed the beautiful and sometimes less beautiful aspects of countries some of us will never visit. He was outspoken, unapologetic, sometimes an asshole, but always a greatly emphatic and compassionate person - he didn't just tell stories about the countries he visited, but he listened to the stories that the locals told, and made sure that the millions of us watching his show listened to those stories too, no matter how controversial (the Armenian genocide, Cambodia's history with the Khmer Rouge, the Troubles in Northern Ireland, just to name a few).

He lived the life I want to live, saw all the things I still want to see, and was the man I sometimes wish I could be. He helped shape my view on food and cooking to a greater degree than both my parents. No Reservations and Parts Unknown were, for me, vicarious experiences of everything the world has to offer. The world is undoubtedly a worse place without him and his unrelenting voice.

I'm bummed the fuck out. I will be for a while. But I'd like to recommend to all of you one of the lessons I took away from him. Eat something you've never eaten before. Just for the hell of it. Just because you can, and because it's there. Go to that weird ethnic restaurant in your city, or nearby. You might not love it. Everybody has their own tastes. But life's too short not to try.

Someone on Twitter said something regarding suicide. I won't even dignify this guy with a name or a screenshot. Just a quote:

"Selfishly taking your own life and hurting your friends and family makes you the steaming, gaping asshole Anthony Bourdain."

No. Simply no. That's not how depression works.

Depression makes you think suicide is actually the best for your friends and family. It thinks that suicide will relieve them of the burden of having to put up with you. It makes you think that you're doing them and the world a favor.

Depression makes you think suicide is selfLESS. Not selfish.

Someone on Twitter said something regarding suicide. I won't even dignify this guy with a name or a screenshot. Just a quote:

"Selfishly taking your own life and hurting your friends and family makes you the steaming, gaping asshole Anthony Bourdain."

No. Simply no. That's not how depression works.

Depression makes you think suicide is actually the best for your friends and family. It thinks that suicide will relieve them of the burden of having to put up with you. It makes you think that you're doing them and the world a favor.

Depression makes you think suicide is selfLESS. Not selfish.
Yeah, that guy has an ax to grind because Bourdain rightly called him on some bullshit (when he was making jokes about a bombing) over a year ago and now he's reveling in his death, saying he's in hell. What a fucking piece of shit. Fucking shit stain of a human being. A steaming, gaping asshole.

WTF put the Bourdain interview back up. Man - I would have loved to hang out with him. He is one of the few folks in media or pop culture that states (and I believe him) that we all have common ground. The Tea Party, the Liberals, the Commies, the ignorant, the rich, the poor, etc. I also loved to hear him defend the U.S. when it comes to advances in racial affairs. There are far, far worse countries out there, and they're generally given a pass.

Sad that he's gone, but glad for what he contributed to society while he was around.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - not Bourdain, but it sure sounds like him.