[News] Shooting at Batman Premier: Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Is a semi-automatic less dangerous then an full auto? I have no idea since guns arent something im interested in.
Semi auto means you must release and pull the trigger once per bullet, but the gun reloads itself each shot. Full auto means as long as you hold down the trigger, it will continue to fire as fast as it can load itself. The other alternative is bolt-action (or single action) which requires the user to manually work the action on the gun to eject the spent round and rechamber the next before he can fire the next shot.

Almost every contemporary pistol is semi automatic (or a double action revolver which amounts to the same). Most high end hunting rifles (and sniper rifles) are bolt action because it allows for higher power and accuracy. There are semi auto shotguns as well, but pump action is still very common. Most "assault" weapons (and how you define an assault weapon is a subject of much controversy) are civilian versions of military weapons that have been forced to semi auto instead of the full auto they were designed for - such as the AR-15.

Dave

Staff member
My only beef about the whole thing was the prayer service yesterday. I know this is probably heartless of me, but when they called these 12 people "heroes" and said that they "gave their lives" I just shook my head. Maybe the one guy fits this description (the one who took the bullets for his girlfriend instead of letting her get shot) but the rest? No. They were not heroes. They were ordinary people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. As to "giving their lives"? Nope. Their lives were taken, not freely given.

The hyperbole during that whole debacle was just dumb.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, remember that whole thing about not showing the attacker's face on national TV over and over and over again?

Don't they sell aftermarket conversion kits to turn semi-autos into fully automatic rifles?

That doesn't include that handle attachment thing that turns semi-autos into what is functionally a fully automatic weapon, with next to no effort.
No, they sell instructions on how to install such a component and a piece of scrap (that can, with very slight machining, be turned into such a component). This is perfectly legal, as long as the piece they give you doesn't work as it is sold. However, owning/selling a working modification is entirely illegal and has some serious fines/jail time attached to it. This includes any string/cords used as part of a bump firing setup, unless said parts have been licensed and tagged by the government (which means it's from before the ban).

Fun Fact: All you need to do to change an AR-15 into a full auto M16 is change a single part to let the action repeat.

Yeah, remember that whole thing about not showing the attacker's face on national TV over and over and over again?
While I do agree with the idea, is it even possible to not put some kind of image of either the attacker or the victims? One could say putting the victim's pictures on the screen would be better, but that still just sensationalizes the whole ordeal. Given the image-driven news media we live in, I don't think it's even possible. Especially with such a huge news item this is currently.

Dave

Staff member
Only reason I did it is because he looked fucking stupid. I'm not talking about him in a calm or fearful manner. I'm outright mocking the fool and his stupid Ronald McDonald bad dye-job hair.

GasBandit

Staff member
But can't they censor his and his victims faces
I'm not concerned too much about the victims' faces... the point being made in the video is that the attacker's face getting 24/7 coverage on all the news networks glorifies his act and encourages other unbalanced people to emulate him.

I think I said as much a while back in the "What creeps you the f*ck out" thread, but I am both fascinated & creeped out by real-time accounts of events such as this. Seeing how authorities, bystanders & witnesses react to these situations just morbidly interests me. At any rate, we have:

I don't know how pure this is, i.e. how compressed it is for removal of dead air, but by the time stamp - it's roughly 5 minutes from first call to apprehension of the suspect. We also have:

Fire department audio - mostly injury callouts & command center setups. Of note about 31 minutes in is the call stating there are "10 black" in the theater.

Like I said - interesting to me but the opening siren of the FD audio just creeps me the fuck out.

Dave

Staff member
Which one is credible?
Well I was going to say the guy with the weapons but I went back to read it again just to make sure...none of them are credible, it seems. I don't know WTF I was reading, but the link to the Dark Knight is tenuous at best.

Thanks for calling me out on it, Charlie.

Necronic

Staff member
My only beef about the whole thing was the prayer service yesterday. I know this is probably heartless of me, but when they called these 12 people "heroes" and said that they "gave their lives" I just shook my head. Maybe the one guy fits this description (the one who took the bullets for his girlfriend instead of letting her get shot) but the rest? No. They were not heroes. They were ordinary people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. As to "giving their lives"? Nope. Their lives were taken, not freely given.

The hyperbole during that whole debacle was just dumb.
Seriously. Not every victim is a hero. I am getting sick of how people use that word.

My favorite part is how the asshole wants to sue Warner Bros. because the film is too violent... this would be the same film he went to see at a midnight premier? I guess it didn't bother him too much until he saw a chance to make some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.