[News] Shooting at Batman Premier: Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
More and more is coming out about this. Seems the guy had his music turned up really loud and on a timer so that the neighbors would call the cops. When the cops got there they'd trigger the booby traps, killing a bunch of people, then when the whole city was responding to that he'd be just opening fire and ruin the response times of the police and rescue units. But either the music went off too late or the shooting started too soon because when the neighbors called the cops on the music they were told nobody was coming thanks to the shooting at the theater.

This guy took a page from the Norway shooter but didn't quite pull it off.

Warner Bros. is pulling the ads for the movie out of respect for the victims. I don't like it. Even if this guy dyed his hair (red, according to reports) and called himself The Joker, it has not one damn thing to do with the movie. No more so than the film Taxi Driver can be blamed for John Hinkley, Jr., The Beatles' White Album can be blamed for the Manson Family, the video game Doom can be blamed for Klebold & Harris, or The Catcher in the Rye can be blamed for Mark David Chapman and/or Robert John Bardo. The victims were people who were so hyped for this movie that they were willing to stay up until close to three AM to be among the first people seeing it. I don't see how advertising a movie they were anxious to see disrespects them.

Totally not surprised that all of that murder equipment was purchased legally in the best nation on earth.

Also, not joking, free universal health care would have prevented the University of Texas shooting since it would have caught the brain tumor. Thanks for playing.

Universal healthcare!?!? You're not putting me out of business buddy!

The sad thing is, WB don't need the ads, now. They're getting enough publicity for the movie as it is. :(
Precisely the wrong kind of publicity though. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who are afraid to see the movie anywhere at anytime, because this is the country where people were afraid the next big terror attack would happen in what is colloquially-but-appropriately known as "flyover country".

Precisely the wrong kind of publicity though. I'm willing to bet that there are people out there who are afraid to see the movie anywhere at anytime, because this is the country where people were afraid the next big terror attack would happen in what is colloquially-but-appropriately known as "flyover country".
It'll do AMAZING on DVD though.

oh man if only there were more armed people in the theater to return fire in a crowded, dark, smokey room with people running for their lives. Things could have ended a lot better.

oh man if only there were more armed people in the theater to return fire in a crowded, dark, smokey room with people running for their lives. Things could have ended a lot better.

All of my gun nut facebook friends have been replying with the same ol' diatribe: "this is why I carry, so I'm ready for anything." Really, man, you live in one of the whitest suburbs in the Philadelphia area. In my 10 years living here, I have not once had to lock my car doors, watch my back, or hide my wallet. I'm convinced most gun nuts are afraid of their own shadow.

I wouldn't have seen the movie this weekend had my friends not prepurchased the tickets. Not out of fear of another shooter which I think is unlikely. The tragedy was weighing too much on my mind and I thought sitting in the theater I'd be thinking about the victims. The tragedy is tied so closely to the movie I didn't think I could separate the two.

Thanks, appreciate that sentiment, Silent Bob.

I'll just be over here, toting my Glock.

The scary thing about this nutbar was that he had shown NO previous signs, from what preliminary reports are showing. If it's a case where his wiring got crossed, it doesn't appear to have manifested itself in any other indicative behaviors.

This was pre-meditated, calculated, and well-planned. Poorly-executed (so to speak), but well-planned. The only thing he forgot would be to plant secondary charges at his apartment for when first responders came for the first explosion (the one that failed to go off).

Fucknut knew what he was doing, and while he might have been sociopathic/psychopathic, he doesn't appear to have any other mental health issues. Cook him.

You're trained.

The problem, in my opinion, is the hordes that aren't.

I don't carry off-duty. Almost no RCMP does. We legally can (if it's a privately owned and registered firearm) but it's against department policy. Only under very special circumstances can we be in possession of our service firearm when we're off duty.

Re: Not going to premieres or to see this one movie.

This really won't (wouldn't have) affect(ed) my everyday life, I'm actually in the States since yesterday and I was keeping my plans to see it here, but my gf wrote this morning: 'Don't go see it over there, I'll take you when you come back' (She's already seen it with my friends in Barcelona). So whatever. We'll see.

Fucknut knew what he was doing, and while he might have been sociopathic/psychopathic, he doesn't appear to have any other mental health issues. Cook him.
Um, those are some pretty serious mental health issues...

What annoys me is that this is going to be another one of those media scares that keeps people from living their lives in a normal fashion. We listen to sound bites and scare tactics so readily these days.

Yes, Virginia, the terrorists DID win. If there's any sort of "war on terror" it is that we should stop being so damn afraid all the time. Our country is under a steady drip of media panic, most of which has detrimental effects on the people as a whole.

Bowielee, Serious, yes, but not necessarily going to manifest themselves through anything other than possible childhood anger issues, as opposed to schizophrenia, which would show itself , in most cases.

Charon, I'm going to ask you a question that I had as a JCO - did you have a fleeting thought (dream, semi-fugue state, whatever) after hearing about this whole thing about what you would have done?

My problem is that because I haven't been trained in armed use of force, I couldn't imagine dealing with this idiot.

Bowielee, Serious, yes, but not necessarily going to manifest themselves through anything other than possible childhood anger issues, as opposed to schizophrenia, which would show itself , in most cases.
One of the main symptoms of Sociopathology is that you feel no guilt or remorse for your actions, along with controlling behaviors. It would be an extremely relevent factor in this. I'm certainly not saying that it's basis for an insanity plea, which does not hold for enduring personality traits (which sociopathology is).

Certainly, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court. There's little doubt that any counsel he obtains is going to try and seek an insanity defense - the carnage here was just too extreme not to. The question becomes if he will try and state that he "regrets" his actions.

I'm still curious what prompted this... has any kind of statement been released to the media on this score?

There is no way an insanity plea with stick. This is meticulously planned and excecuted. What we're most likely to find, as was the case with most school shootings and similar situations is that there were warning signs that were there and ignored. Most people near him will say the warning signs were not there to cover their own feelings of culpability of what happened.

For the record, I did a whole semester of study on this type of voilence, and there are usually common factors running throughout, such as feelings of not fitting in, abuse by fellow students, a lack of parental intervention, etc...

Just so it's clear, I'm not placing blame on the parents. In fact the issue with these types of situations is that everyone wants to find a "magic bullet" reason for this type of behavior, but it is really a confluence of multiple factors.

I highly recommend the book "No One Left to Hate" by Dr. Elliot Aronson. It is a really good study at the culture surrounding these types of issues.

Be warned, though, that there is a lot of indictment of the bullying culture propogated by schools that may piss some people off.

The scary thing about this nutbar was that he had shown NO previous signs, from what preliminary reports are showing. If it's a case where his wiring got crossed, it doesn't appear to have manifested itself in any other indicative behaviors.

This was pre-meditated, calculated, and well-planned. Poorly-executed (so to speak), but well-planned. The only thing he forgot would be to plant secondary charges at his apartment for when first responders came for the first explosion (the one that failed to go off).

I'm guessing you're a cop by your name, in which case it's almost your job to carry. I'm talking about the Joe Blow rednecks I know that want to be a one man army (Batman if you will).

I highly recommend the book "No One Left to Hate" by Dr. Elliot Aronson. It is a really good study at the culture surrounding these types of issues.

Be warned, though, that there is a lot of indictment of the bullying culture propogated by schools that may piss some people off.
Could you elaborate, please? I'm interested in the idea of the book, but I need a little more. Do his solutions go beyond the jigsaw techniques, or is it just a restatement of how jigsaw classrooms can be effective?

GasBandit

Staff member
I am not a lawyer. My mother was, and the way I heard her say it was that insanity was tricky. If you believed, for instance, that you were Robin Hood firing an arrow at the Sherriff of Nottingham to protect Little John (and of course the truth was you were just a guy shooting another guy with a gun), you were competent enough to stand trial. But if you thought you were superman using a freeze ray to stop an oncoming truck (and again, you were just shooting a guy), that gets more complicated.

Could you elaborate, please? I'm interested in the idea of the book, but I need a little more. Do his solutions go beyond the jigsaw techniques, or is it just a restatement of how jigsaw classrooms can be effective?
The jigsaw techniques are one of the points he talks about, but it's more about getting to root problems rather than quick fixes. It looks most closely at the power of situational influences, much like the research of Dr. Zimbardo.

You're trained.

The problem, in my opinion, is the hordes that aren't.

I don't carry off-duty. Almost no RCMP does. We legally can (if it's a privately owned and registered firearm) but it's against department policy. Only under very special circumstances can we be in possession of our service firearm when we're off duty.
There was a documentary by one of the victims that got shot in Columbine where they ran a test where people were given paint guns to carry and knew at some point and time that an attack would happen and how they would defend themselves. When the attack came, since they weren't trained and were struck with surprise, they fumbled taking out their guns or basically panicked.

It was a nice documentary.

IMO, as long as you allow people to buy guns to protect themselves so easily, you'll always get events like this.

As a Canadian, how the fuck can people legally buy weapons that clearly aren't meant for self-defense? I can understand a Glock... but an assault rifle? Full automatic?

There was a documentary by one of the victims that got shot in Columbine where they ran a test where people were given paint guns to carry and knew at some point and time that an attack would happen and how they would defend themselves. When the attack came, since they weren't trained and were struck with surprise, they fumbled taking out their guns or basically panicked.

It was a nice documentary.

IMO, as long as you allow people to buy guns to protect themselves so easily, you'll always get events like this.

As a Canadian, how the fuck can people legally buy weapons that clearly aren't meant for self-defense? I can understand a Glock... but an assault rifle? Full automatic?
because of the stupid fucking 2nd amendment, that's why.

Pass a background check, be a federally licensed gun dealer, and pay tax for owning fully automatic weapons... and American can buy just about anything.

It is difficult to get a fully automatic weapon in this nation. The shooter had a semi-automatic rifle and pistol.

Don't they sell aftermarket conversion kits to turn semi-autos into fully automatic rifles?

That doesn't include that handle attachment thing that turns semi-autos into what is functionally a fully automatic weapon, with next to no effort.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah because we all need muskets in today's day and age.
At the time of drafting, the musket was the most lethal instrument of death that could be carried by a single person. There were other guns, less lethal, less efficient. The "they only meant muskets" argument is a red herring that is easily dispelled when you look at their intent - to give the federal government pause when considering oppression or use of force against Americans. I don't expect a canadian to understand.

But Frank is right - full auto weapons are currently (and in my opinion, unconstitutionally) illegal. His AR-15 was semi-auto.

But there's a whole thread on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.