[News] Several killed in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
This article is a little intense (actually, it's quite a lot intense), but I think it's very worthwhile.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/on-black-holes-patience-and-what-i-know-to-be-true
Very nice little slice of life subjective story about how emotionality rules what a lot of people consider OK (or not).

I was very "agree on some things, disagree on others, that's ok" about that article until I got to this point:

"These are hollow-points," he exclaimed. "They're meant for piercing armor."
/facepalm. /headdesk.
That was a quote from a cop. He should know better. Hollowpoints are less effective against armor, more effective against unarmored targets. AP and hollowpoint are exact. opposites.

So, anyway... then from there it just descends into hysterics.

/facepalm. /headdesk.
That was a quote from a cop. He should know better. Hollowpoints are less effective against armor, more effective against unarmored targets. AP and hollowpoint are exact. opposites.

So, anyway... then from there it just descends into hysterics.
It was an interesting article, but yeah.

Hollow points are meant for breaking apart in soft targets and making sure what you hit will die from internal bleeding and complicate surgery. While I don't think most firearms should be banned, these should be.

It was an interesting article, but yeah.

Hollow points are meant for breaking apart in soft targets and making sure what you hit will die from internal bleeding and complicate surgery. While I don't think most firearms should be banned, these should be.
... except many cops and hunters use them to make sure their bullets don't pass through the target or pass through walls/doors if they miss. The fragmenting effect does more than just make them more lethal.

GasBandit

Staff member
The more I reread (and reread aloud to my significant other) that article, the more I am convinced the whole thing is malarky - there's too many mistakes, too many emotional inconsistencies. Glocks do have a "safety" even if it isn't necessarily a button. No cop, ever, would tell you a hollowpoint is for piercing armor. It just smells more and more off each time I reread it. She's making an error-riddled fallacious appeal to emotion that may in fact be part or entirely fiction. She wants me to "push past her" to discount it? Done.

Never change your mind about any subject based on something that tries to get you to feel instead of think.

This was on the front page of the Huffington Post tonight-

TO LIVE AND DIE IN AMERICA

3 Shot And Killed In Mich... 18-Year-Old Shot Multiple Times, Dies... Man Kills Wife, Teen, Himself... Man Shoots, Kills Own Son... Cops Shoot Teen Dead...Man Gunned Down In Parking Lot... 5 Dead In Spate Of Shootings... 2 Murdered In Philly... 2 Kansas Cops Shot Dead... Shooter Killed... 4 Die In Apparent Murder-Suicide... Ga. Cop Dies From Gunshot... Argument Leads Teen To Shoot Friend... Man Shot To Death... Teen Dies After Being Tied Up, Shot... Man Shot Dead In Street... Drug Deal Leads To Shooting Death... Mother Of 2 Killed In Road Rage Shooting... Man Shoots, Kills Intruder... 1 Killed In Coney Island...Man Dies From Gunshot Wounds... Cops Investigate Gun Death... Shooting Victim's Body Found On Bike Trail... Man Charged With Shooting Own Brother Dead... Man Dies After Being Shot In Chest... Body Of Shooting Victim Found In Pickup... Teen Arrested For Robbery Shooting Death... Man Carrying 2-Year-Old Son Shot Dead... Man Fatally Shot Near Home... Parolee Dies In Shooting... 1 Killed In Buffalo Shooting... Man Shot Dead In Apartment Complex... Street Gun Battle Kills Grandma Bystander... Man, Woman Dead In Apparent Murder-Suicide... Woman Shot Dead By Intruder... 14-Year-Old Arrested Over Fatal Gun Attack... Man Found Shot Dead In Parking Lot... Woman Shot In Face By Ex-Boyfriend... 1 Woman, 3 Men Shot Dead... 2 Die In Attempted Robbery... Army Reservist Shot To Death In Alley... Man Shot To Death In Bodega... 2 Shot Dead In Burned House... Man Shot During Break-In... Man Fatally Shot... 20-Year-Old Gunned Down... Man Shoots Self During Police Pursuit... 1 Killed In Baltimore Shooting... Cops ID Shooting Victim... 60-Year-Old Man Shot Dead... Shot Man's Body Found In Vacant House.... Woman Shot And Killed Outside Her Home...Shooting Victim Was 'Trying To Turn Life Around'... Slain Shooting Victim Found In Street.... Driving Altercation Leads To Shooting, 1 Dies... 3-Year-Old Dies In Accidental Shooting... Man Turns Self In After Allegedly Shooting Wife... Man Shot Dead Outside Home... 3 Slain In Separate New Orleans Shootings... Cops Investigate Shooting Death... Man Shot Dead In Ohio... Teen Shot To Death... Man Dies After Being Shot Multiple Times... Man Charged Over Son's Shooting Death... Cops Find 2 Men Shot Dead... 1 Dies In Shooting... Man Charged Over Gun Killing... 1 Shot Dead In Confrontation... Man Charged With Murder Over Shooting... Motel-Owner Shot And Killed... Husband Shoots Estranged Wife Dead... Suspect Arrested Over Deputy's Shooting Death... Police Probe Fatal Shooting... Cops Kill 2 Suspects In 3 Shooting Deaths... Man Killed Fighting Back Against Robber... Man Killed In Home Invasion.... Nightclub Shooting Kills 1... Child Brain Dead After Drive By Shooting... Man Charged Over Shooting Of Ex-Wife... Body Found In Vacant House... Teen Fatally Shot...
It does put things into perspective a bit. If this happens on a daily basis and to talk about this epidemic is crass after a shooting, is there ever a good time to talk about it?

Ambusher had done 17 years in prison.

Should never have had access to weapons. Was anyone ever paying attention to this guy?

LaPierre does make a valid point. Before we start flooding the books with new gun legislation, we should do an inventory of what laws are already enacted, and how many arrests and convictions those laws have resulted in. Then look at what cases resulted as a consequence of not bothering to enforce those laws.

Somebody's gonna have some 'splainin to do.

I'm obviously kind of an outsider on this, but I'm no stranger to fear of gun violence, as you all must know.

I don't think guns are the problem. Guns are difficult as FUCK to get here in Mexico for the average citizen (you have to literally buy them from the army, after rigorous background checks) but that means shit, because evil people aren't average. Drug dealers and psychopaths will find a way to get the guns they need/want, period.

The problem is fear. The problem is that news need 24 hours of content now. The problem is human emotions are incredibly easy to manipulate. The problem is capitalism by definition breeds selfishness and self entitlement. The problem is our culture itself. Yes, our, no Mexican is free of US influence, believe me.

We are poisoned at a fundamental level as a society. Guns aren't the problem. People thinking their needs come before everyone else's is. People saying stuff like "I don't want guns banned, I like my guns" is a very good example of this.... they're putting their own likes over society's needs. We all put our own needs over society's. We're literally raised to do so, if you think about it. And when you have millions and millions of people, you're gonna have millions and millions of variables and of course some of those are going to crack and kill little kids. It's sickening, it's appalling... but it needs to be changed at a generational level, no law or amendment or single President will change that. The entire zeitgeist is rotten.

Dave

Staff member
Ugh. This makes me sick.

http://news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-100-million-child-survivor-connecticut-school-003646074.html

My child is safe! The only survivor of the class that was gunned down. The only appropriate response? Sue the fucking school for $100 million! Fuck you, you greedy pricks. I can guarantee there are 20 other sets of parents who wish they were in your shoes.[DOUBLEPOST=1356795153][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh I read that wrong! It's not even the survivor of the class, merely a 6 year old who heard shooting and screaming over the intercom! 'Merica.

You can't prosecute what isn't illegal. God dammit I hate the "criminals don't obey laws so lets not have the law" argument.

Just the message of that image, mostly. Sorry, I've been assaulted by some monumentally stupid Facebook images dispensing wit such as banning pencils because people misspell words. I just can't take the mentally defunct messaging anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.