[News] Senate Republicans Block Equal Pay Measure for Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necronic

Staff member
If fat people where blowing grease at me with every breath i'm pretty sure no one would mind when i say i dont want to be near them...
Being near a smoker that is smoking is unpleasant in its own way. My point wasn't about second hand smoke (like I said, ban public smoking that's fine.) I'm talking about sitting next to a smoker that has that smell of stale smoke on them. I would say that, one a plane, sitting next to a smoker would be just as unpleasant as sitting next to an obese person.

Maybe, but people are more scared of cancer than heart disease, even though heart disease has a higher mortality rate.
I would posit that this is because there are a number of parts of you which can get cancer that you can survive without (in whole or in part), but if you remove any notable portion of a person's heart, they're pretty much done for.

--Patrick

I would posit that this is because there are a number of parts of you which can get cancer that you can survive without (in whole or in part), but if you remove any notable portion of a person's heart, they're pretty much done for.

--Patrick
On the other hand, most heart diseases can be helped with a transplant,, which isn't a solution for many cancers.
It depends on what cancer, of course, but it's silly that I know people who go to great lengths to block the sun because they're so afraid of getting melanoma; while happily scarfing down 3x the amounts of fats a person needs a day, in one meal.

Yeah, except viable hearts are in short supply. Most people don't sign-up for organ donation.
Yet another reason to love laws. Everybody's an organ donor here....Unless you go through all the red tape to specify you DONT want to. Much more efficient :p Screw Jehova's Witnesses! (no disrespect to any JW on this board :p)

I always thought that it was because Heart Disease is what kills older folks the most, whereas cancer is more likely in younger (still 40+ mainly, but not 70+). Thus heart disease (and a few others) are not perceived as "early deaths" but more like "dying of old age" for the most part. Yes there's exceptions both ways (young heart disease, really old cancer), but those are exceptions, and not contributing to public perception. Add to that the fact that in the WHO reports, you don't see "old age" as the leading cause of death anywhere, though by most measures, it is. For example, my grandfather died of congestive heart failure. He was 105. Did heart disease kill him? That's what it probably would officially be counted as, but he died of old age. How is that counted?

I always thought that it was because Heart Disease is what kills older folks the most, whereas cancer is more likely in younger (still 40+ mainly, but not 70+). Thus heart disease (and a few others) are not perceived as "early deaths" but more like "dying of old age" for the most part. Yes there's exceptions both ways (young heart disease, really old cancer), but those are exceptions, and not contributing to public perception. Add to that the fact that in the WHO reports, you don't see "old age" as the leading cause of death anywhere, though by most measures, it is. For example, my grandfather died of congestive heart failure. He was 105. Did heart disease kill him? That's what it probably would officially be counted as, but he died of old age. How is that counted?
"Old age" isn't an official cause of death; ever. Don't ask me why... All four of my grandparents died of cancer (2x lung, 2x lower intestine). One died at age 56; the other three well over 80...I'd say there's a difference, but officially, there isn't.

Technically, in the US, you don't die of cancer either. You die of organ failure (usually kidney, liver, heart, or lung).

Being near a smoker that is smoking is unpleasant in its own way. My point wasn't about second hand smoke (like I said, ban public smoking that's fine.) I'm talking about sitting next to a smoker that has that smell of stale smoke on them. I would say that, one a plane, sitting next to a smoker would be just as unpleasant as sitting next to an obese person.
Do your fat persons not wash or something?!

Most people would agree that, other things being equal, a worker who puts in more man hours is more valuable to the company, and more likely to get a raise or promotion or something.
Individually yes, but you don't see anyone arguing that because my brother works a lot i should get more pay from the get go because i have the genes that make him capable of that etc... (about my post that you quoted)

As Shego said, it's not about women that actually get pregnant, but about women getting penalised because they can get pregnant... they don't give out promotions because you could put in more man hours do they.. (more general argument against your example)

Necronic

Staff member
Do your fat persons not wash or something?!
No but they take up extra space, and often huff and wheeze. When I am sitting in a confined space, like at a big meeting or on an airplane or whatever, it can be unpleasant. The smell of a smoker that has recently smoked is definitely worse though.

Yeah, except viable hearts are in short supply. Most people don't sign-up for organ donation.
Some cultures are paranoid that EMTs, upon seeing you're a donor, will let you die so your organs will go to other people. It was prevalent in the Mexican community I stayed with for a couple months in California.

Some cultures are paranoid that EMTs, upon seeing you're a donor, will let you die so your organs will go to other people. It was prevalent in the Mexican community I stayed with for a couple months in California.
If I was in Mexico, I would be paranoid of that too. But in the US? Not really.

I think that's just stupid. She may be able to work throughout and only take a few weeks maternity leave - but not all women can or want to. Fine by me if she wants to do it, but you run the risk of even less compassion/understanding for those who do want to take a few months. Also, not everyone either has a stay-at-home husband or the money to hire a nanny. (Mind that I'm perfectly fine with the husband staying at home for the kids if the wife's the one with the better career or whatever - just saying it's not an option for everyone).
But hey, good for her.

I think that's just stupid. She may be able to work throughout and only take a few weeks maternity leave - but not all women can or want to. Fine by me if she wants to do it, but you run the risk of even less compassion/understanding for those who do want to take a few months. Also, not everyone either has a stay-at-home husband or the money to hire a nanny. (Mind that I'm perfectly fine with the husband staying at home for the kids if the wife's the one with the better career or whatever - just saying it's not an option for everyone).
But hey, good for her.
People are prone to overreacting (having a black president doesn't mean racism is over either), but it is a step forward...

People are prone to overreacting (having a black president doesn't mean racism is over either), but it is a step forward...
True enough, and it is a good message to get out there. Some people need it bludgeoned in that women are, in fact, capable of anything men can do and quite some things we can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.