[Bug] Search not working

I'm looking for a specific thread I posted. I tell search to look for a keyword in titles only and just posted by me.

The results ignore the titles only and posted by settings. But at least it searches for the keyword, yes?

Yeah, but it defeats the point of searching for thread titles at all.

Every post is associated with a thread title. So this post is associated with the title "Search not working". If I search for posts by me with search title's only turned on and search for "Search" then it'll bring this thread up. This allows users to find posts based on thread titles they've posted in rather than the content they posted.

There is no way to search for first posts by you with thread title keywords.

In other words, search is working as designed, and it's not designed to help you with your specific search.

You might have better luck searching for the contents you posted in that first post, but if the title isn't particularly unique then you may be out of luck.

Also, Google does a great job of synonyms so if you remember the idea of the title but not the exact wording a google search for the title, your username, and "site:halforums.com" should search only this site and should produce very relevant results, much better than the internal search engine.

There is no way to search for first posts by you with thread title keywords.

In other words, search is working as designed, and it's not designed to help you with your specific search.
No.

There is a checkbox "search titles only". That should only return threads with the search term, not individual posts. That does not happen. The Posted by Member box should narrow it further. If it does not do that, it is absolutely NOT working as intended.

On other XenForo boards, it does EXACTLY what I am trying to do here. That means something here is broken.

And I really do not appreciate the condescending tone. You're better than that.

Dave

Staff member
It also only searches on keywords of more than 3 characters. So if you are searching for "JCM" it won't work.

It's definitely wonky, though. Searching for "women", posted by "Bubble181", "Titles only" should return exactly one thread/post - "Beautiful Women" in the NSFW section.
Instead, I get several pages of returns, most not posted by me, and all over.

It also only searches on keywords of more than 3 characters. So if you are searching for "JCM" it won't work.
I was searching for "waitress" in the thread title to see if an old thread I'd posted was still here. Even with the title checkbox checked, it returned every instance of "waitress" regardless of if it was a title or not. Adding only posted by me did nothing.

Going to a couple of other XenForo boards and doing similar searches returned proper results. Either nothing found or the one thread started by me that had the search term.

So no, it's not working as intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, I've done your waitress test search and I see the problem. I apologize for misunderstanding the issue.

Hmm, this must be relatively new. I search for stuff in titles very frequently, and haven't had it misunderstand me.
Ah, found the issue. It looks like "Posted By:" overrides the "titles only" checkbox. In other words, if you're searching for something in a title, leave the "posted by:" field BLANK unless and until this issue is resolved.

--Patrick

Hmm, this must be relatively new. I search for stuff in titles very frequently, and haven't had it misunderstand me.
Ah, found the issue. It looks like "Posted By:" overrides the "titles only" checkbox. In other words, if you're searching for something in a title, leave the "posted by:" field BLANK unless and until this issue is resolved.

--Patrick
And now I see instead of returning no results if the search term isn't used in a thread title, it defaults to a general search. Searched for "threadaloo" and titles only. One hit. "Checkbox" and titles only, 41 hits but none in titles.

Shouldn't do that.

Dave

Staff member
By the way, the NSFW area is exempt from searches I think.[DOUBLEPOST=1479921459,1479921345][/DOUBLEPOST]Hmmm. Maybe not. I thought there was a setting. Maybe because it's an area that you have to choose to go to that prevents search.

Dave

Staff member
They dropped the turkeys from a helicopter, so the size of your offices means NOTHING!

I'm trying to search for "Air Canada" and it seems to be ignoring the quotes and saying "air" is too short... well ya, but I want to search for the ENTIRE PHRASE.

Thoughts?

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm trying to search for "Air Canada" and it seems to be ignoring the quotes and saying "air" is too short... well ya, but I want to search for the ENTIRE PHRASE.

Thoughts?
Well, if it's specifically about the airline, you can put the entire thing in quotes... but the only result is the post you made right now.
Edit: I'm a dumbass. it's because I searched from this thread. Searching from anywhere else returns lots of hits.

Thoughts?
Yeah, the limitation requiring four characters has bitten me many times. In those cases I use google. Add the site: parameter and it'll do a good job, "site:halforums.com air canada"

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:halforums.com+air+canada

Of course you might want to add quotes around "air canada" to make sure you only get posts with "air canada" rather than posts containing air and canada but not necessarily adjacent:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:halforums.com+"air+canada"

Well, if it's specifically about the airline, you can put the entire thing in quotes... but the only result is the post you made right now.
Edit: I'm a dumbass. it's because I searched from this thread. Searching from anywhere else returns lots of hits.
The text along the top of the search SHOWS you that "air" was discarded, and you get LOTS of "canada" threads.

See image:
error_capture.png

So... ya.

And yes, I'm trying to search for a previous post regarding said airline, but regardless, I put the quotes in the box, and this is the (top of the) results.

Edit: and yes the quotes I'm putting in the search box, I'm not just saying that I searched for the two words

Dave

Staff member
There's actually an addon I can get that would make the 4 character thing no longer apply, but it's wicked expensive so I haven't done it.

There's actually an addon I can get that would make the 4 character thing no longer apply, but it's wicked expensive so I haven't done it.
See, I wouldn't want that. I'd want you to be able to quote something LONGER, like in the original case I mentioned. I want to be able to search for "Air Canada" or "dave is bad" and if I put the quotes in, it behaves VERY differently than if the quotes are not in the search box.

Google does a good job. Don't spend time or money for something that already solved by someone else for free. The existing search is fine most of the time, and google picks up the rest.