Running Games in 1080p maybe 1440p

3 more Months till Cyberpunk releases and I want to get my PC ready.
I am still running a RX 480 which served me well the last 3 years, but it has reached the end of its lifespan for me.
I am thinking of getting an RX 5700. Or should I spend the extra for an RX 5700XT? I dont mind switching to Nvidia.

I mainly play and enjoy games on 1080p since I value frames over resolution, but I would like my card to be able to play most of the games coming out in the next 2 years at 1440p Medium to High at atleast 60 FPS.

I have an i-6500 CPU and 16 gig ram, which should last me another year or two I think and am gonna switch over to ryhzen then.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you're running in 1080p, all you need is a GTX 1060 3 gig or its AMD equivalent (which I think is the RX 580). I'm still using my GTX 1060 3gig, and the only game where I've had to settle for framerates below 60 is Doom Eternal, and I think that's bad programming.

If you're running in 1080p, all you need is a GTX 1060 3 gig or its AMD equivalent (which I think is the RX 580). I'm still using my GTX 1060 3gig, and the only game where I've had to settle for framerates below 60 is Doom Eternal, and I think that's bad programming.
He said he wants to start running things at 1440 though.

Would probably go for either RX 5600XT or GTX 1660 Ti as your minimums, depending on whether you prefer AMD or NVIDIA. Both should be just below the US$300 mark. Otherwise you can expect to pay closer to US$500 for something in the next higher tier (1070Ti/1080Ti/5700XT/RTX2070).
Just a warning that upgrading your GPU may not produce spectacular results until you move to a newer CPU in order to feed it. Stepping up from 4 to 6 cores, or even getting one of the lower Ryzens is going to make a pretty noticeable difference.

—Patrick

The order probably doesn’t matter, unless you’re trying to time with sales and/or release cycles.

--Patrick

Only short term goal is to run Cyberpunk on High in 1080p at 60FPS.Anything more is just a bonus.
Dont have any other game that I am anticipating, but I want to invest into the future. Am hoping that the release of the new slew of nvidia cards will
drop the price on the other cards.

New Ryzens are probably going to shake up CPU pricing, too. Intel already released their Gen10 products, so we’re just waiting on AMD’s newest to be released to be able to drag race them to see who wins. But honestly, your RX 480 is from Summer 2016, your I5-6500 is from Fall 2015. At this point, just about anything < 2yrs old will be an upgrade.

—Patrick

I decided on getting the RX 5700(non XT). A friend can get me one for 300€ using his store discount. Once I receive my tax returns I am gonna get a
a Ryzen 3600 and a new mattress.

So after a bit of silence from my friend, I finally got my hands on an MSI RX 5700 XT. It is such a big card compared to my 480. Barely fit into my case.

Should be a lot easier to get one’s hands on the 5700/5700XT cards now that the 6000-series was announced yesterday.

—Patrick

Yep. Installed it a couple of hours ago. Runs all my games smoothly. Next step is a new cpu and a case where this damn card can fit in nicely.