[Movies] Rogue One: The Thickening (SPOILER THREAD!)

I must be one of the few people that loves the Wilhelm scream. Every time I hear it in a movie, I always give a little, quiet cheer.

I must be one of the few people that loves the Wilhelm scream. Every time I hear it in a movie, I always give a little, quiet cheer.
Once it was pointed out to me, I cannot unhear it. It feels like there was a time where it was a little secret, but then it got over-used, and now it feels a bit distracting when I hear it. There other foley sounds that get way overused too. Metal doors closing almost all use the same sound. I think I have misophonia. Stupid shit like that seems to get my attention.

https://priceonomics.com/the-wilhelm-scream-cinemas-most-overused-sound/

The Wilhelm Scream was first used in a bunch of 1950s Westerns B-movies. It largely faded away, seeing occasional use, until Star Wars and Indiana Jones brought it back. It became increasingly frequent and seemed to peak in the mid-'00s.

I consider the Wilhelm Scream to be a little treat, especially if it's in a sillier film.
The cry of the Red Tail Hawk is used far more than Wilhelm.

It especially bothers me when they show another bird making that cry... especially Bald Eagles.

Dave

Staff member
TIL you overestimate the ability of the general public to pick up on stuff.

--Patrick
Most of that was shoved in your face and made obvious. Like the two guys you later see in the cantina. It's like they were just thrown in there and it completely brought the moment to a screeching halt. It was like the movie wanted to scream at you: "See?!? It's a callback! GET IT?!?"

Same with the guy in the tower with the binoculars. They did that not once but twice in Rogue One. Just in case you missed it the first time.

Most of that was shoved in your face and made obvious. Like the two guys you later see in the cantina. It's like they were just thrown in there and it completely brought the moment to a screeching halt. It was like the movie wanted to scream at you: "See?!? It's a callback! GET IT?!?"

Same with the guy in the tower with the binoculars. They did that not once but twice in Rogue One. Just in case you missed it the first time.
The two wanted dudes, R2-D2 and C3PO, the tower guys, the repeated lines from A New Hope, etc. etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1485197232,1485197180][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think Wilhelm screams should be replaced with Red Tail Hawk screams.
I am behind this 2000%