[Brazelton] RIP Glen Campbell

Dave

Staff member
This one makes me sad but happy at the same time. He was suffering very publicly from Alzheimer's. In fact, his last album was released in 2014 after being diagnosed in 2011 and failing rapidly. When he was on stage it's like he came back and was able to sing the songs he'd done his whole life.

This one makes me sad but happy at the same time. He was suffering very publicly from Alzheimer's. In fact, his last album was released in 2014 after being diagnosed in 2011 and failing rapidly. When he was on stage it's like he came back and was able to sing the songs he'd done his whole life.

Goddammit this song... I cried like a baby when it first came out, and I'm crying again, it's one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

It probably doesn't help that degenerative neuro disease is my biggest fear. RIP Glen, others will at least miss you.

I'll Be Me was a little hard to watch, but after seeing how he got his start as a session musician in LA in The Wrecking Crew, and being a Glen Campbell fan for a good number of years, I couldn't not watch it. He'll be missed for his music, his personality, and his advocacy; but I'm glad his suffering has come to an end.

fade

Staff member

Geez, thanks for that onion-cutting ninja.

When he was on stage it's like he came back and was able to sing the songs he'd done his whole life.
That's a common Alzheimer's thing. Stuff you learned is already there and waiting to be recalled, it's learning new stuff (i.e., "plasticity") that is impaired. Lotta vids about people with Alzheimer's singing in barbershop quartets, doing katas, etc.

--Patrick