Recommend a game for me

fade

Staff member
I mean this thread to be for anyone to ask, but I am also asking for myself.

Here's what I like:
  • Strong story, good acting
  • Stealth based play (but not required at all)
  • Puzzle solving
  • Game play that is not hours of walking around doing nothing and mashing left click to beat someone up
Some games I really enjoyed so far
  • Shadowzzzz of Mordorsia
  • Far Cry series
  • Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape Torment
  • Last of Us
  • The Uncharted series
  • You know what--anything Naughty Dog makes is gold
  • Dishonored
  • Bioshock series

fade

Staff member
PC or PS4.

I forgot to mention the Resident Evil series. That was good because you had to (at least in the early ones) use your brain. It was a bit of a puzzle game disguised with zombies.

Divinity: Original Sin is fun, and can be played solo. The sequel goes to full release in Sept as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1498053875,1498053817][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do the KOTOR games, Baldur's Gate, etc fall under too much left clicking?
His description made it sound like Diablo style games are what he doesn't want.

None of these are a 100% fit, but they might take you interesting directions.

Obduction (good voice acting, FMV, exploration, physics/logic puzzles... Essentially the Myst of our time).
Legend of Grimrock (turn based, throwback to Eye Of The Beholder-type games, pretty good environment/clue-based storytelling, fun switch/lever/hidden/mind puzzles). There's also a sequel with better graphics, different story, more advanced puzzles).
Portal (good story, exploration, physics/logic/skill puzzles, cake) and Portal 2 (pretty much the first game, but mooooore, and better in every way except for one annoying character).
Alice: Madness Returns (sequel to American McGee's Alice, third-person platformer with cool worldbuilding, decent acting and puzzles, competent combat).

[QUOTE="Denbrought, post: 1354914, member: 389"
Portal (good story, exploration, physics/logic/skill puzzles, cake) and Portal 2 (pretty much the first game, but mooooore, and better in every way except for one annoying character).
[/QUOTE]

While I liked both, I do have to disagree there. The puzzles in 1 were more elegant and the overall design more clean; 2 more often had you searching around for "where the hell azm I supposed to go?" and such.

fade

Staff member
I remember Fate not liking Skyrim.
I liked it okay, I just didn't understand why people were falling out of their chairs for it.
Divinity: Original Sin is fun, and can be played solo. The sequel goes to full release in Sept as well.
Yeah, that one looked pretty good. I'll check it out again.
None of these are a 100% fit, but they might take you interesting directions.

Obduction (good voice acting, FMV, exploration, physics/logic puzzles... Essentially the Myst of our time).
Legend of Grimrock (turn based, throwback to Eye Of The Beholder-type games, pretty good environment/clue-based storytelling, fun switch/lever/hidden/mind puzzles). There's also a sequel with better graphics, different story, more advanced puzzles).
Alice: Madness Returns (sequel to American McGee's Alice, third-person platformer with cool worldbuilding, decent acting and puzzles, competent combat).
Haven't tried most of these. Will check them out. I liked the Portal games. I just wish the puzzles were harder. There were a few challenging ones, but even then, the game kind of guides you to the solution.

I liked it okay, I just didn't understand why people were falling out of their chairs for it.

Yeah, that one looked pretty good. I'll check it out again.

Haven't tried most of these. Will check them out. I liked the Portal games. I just wish the puzzles were harder. There were a few challenging ones, but even then, the game kind of guides you to the solution.
Look for Portal Stories: Mel on Steam, it should be free.

While I liked both, I do have to disagree there. The puzzles in 1 were more elegant and the overall design more clean; 2 more often had you searching around for "where the hell am I supposed to go?" and such.
Fair enough. I preferred the pacing in 2, as well as the exploration aspects and environmental puzzles. At times it genuinely felt like I was making my way across a chaotic environment, instead of a running a pre-ordained gauntlet.

Yeah, it's definitely not meant to have you stuck at a puzzle for longer than 5-10 minutes at most. Some community chambers kind of scratch that itch, though.

If you're willing to go a bit old school, the original Thief and Thief 2 fit your criteria fairly well. The stories are interesting, it's not just "steal everything in sight"... well, not always. They're definitely stealth-based. There are definitely puzzles you need to solve (Constantine's Mansion in Thief 1 in particular is a huge mindfuck). And the ideal way to play Thief is with no combat at all, so it's definitely not just mindlessly beating things up.

Of course, since these games were released nearly two decades ago, their graphics and gameplay designs will be rather dated. It's up to you to decide whether that's a problem.

I've never played Thief 3 or the newest Thief, so I don't know if they're any good. But I definitely enjoyed Thief 1 and 2.

Came here to second Thief 1&2, they're even better if you have a surround system hooked to your computer, because the game deliberately takes advantage of surround to give you relevant sound cues about your environment. The other good thing about the (first two) Thief games is that they are non-linear, the game doesn't care how you reach your objective so long as you reach your objective.

Myst and Riven also both meet/exceed all your criteria except for "stealth-based."

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Batman: Arkham series: since you said you liked ME:SoM. It does require stealth at some points, and it's a little more required than in Mordor, but I'm not a fan of most stealth games, and I really love the Arkham series.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: This story is so beautifully told (sorry, it has no voice acting, but it's got no text either, but trust me, the story is still told and it's emotional). Puzzle solving with a little stealthiness and a decent amount of action.

Metro 2033: I enjoyed this one, despite the fact that it only had checkpoints, and not an option to save anywhere. I'm not sure if the remastered fixed anything like that, though. Solid story, not so much puzzles.

Papo & Yo: More puzzle platformer than anything on your list, but it does fit the requirements. I really enjoyed my time with this gem.

Let's see... Brutal Legend has no stealth to speak of, nor does Darksiders, Red Faction Guerilla, or Saints Row. I guess you can avoid things in Dead Isalnd, but there's no real stealth mechanics. The LEGO series meet your requirements for story and puzzle, but they're very button mashy for combat.

Did you mean grid based? Because the action takes place in real time.

I have been reading through this thread realizing that I have such a backlog that I would probably never post in here! I think the thread I need is a "let's tackle a game from our backlog together" thread where we can encourage each other to finish some of our damn games.

I did realize I have a suggestion you might go for, though, Fade: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (and now the sequel). It has some not great parts to it, but I think it overall checks off a lot of your boxes.

I have been reading through this thread realizing that I have such a backlog that I would probably never post in here! I think the thread I need is a "let's tackle a game from our backlog together" thread where we can encourage each other to finish some of our damn games.
Oh dear, this could be problematic.

--Patrick

Do you like strategy type games as well? Something like Civilization meets Masters of Orion? If so, I have a suggestion for you.

I also always suggest Pokemon :D

I'm not sure my computer can even run some of my games I got through bundles.

Check out Horizon Zero Dawn for PS4, I think it may be what you're looking for, and I believe it will be a tentpoll game

Among the Sleep
This War of Mine
Mount Your Friends
Lone Survivor
Mark of the Ninja
Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad
Genital Jousting
Don't Starve

I have several questions
I have answers! No idea what the questions are, but here goes:

Yes.
No.
Every second Sunday.
Only once, but her mother was in the closet the whole time.
Two squirrels and an antelope.
$750,000 and an '87 Dodge Shadow.
Ice it after three hours.
Slow broil it for five hours.
Fifty pages.
And last but not least, Wilfred Brimley.

Hijacking Fade's thread.

Been bored with games lately. Somehow my enjoyment for open world games has diminished, and kinda RPGs right now, which leaves a lot of what I own as feeling dull right now. I've played through each Soulsborne game multiple times. I remembered Bayonetta 2, so that was fun ... but short, so that's done.

So I'm looking for recommendations. Stuff on Wii U or PS4. Stuff that has direct goals rather than "do whatever you want in this landscape." So probably more action-oriented. I don't know exactly. I've been reading more than gaming lately, which is great, but I'd like a game to play too.

Well hey, you used to like Left 4 Dead, sooooo... Killing Floor 2 is 50% off today!

I think I have that free from PS Plus so I can give it a try, but my PC can't handle it.

I have Vermimtide on PC and PS4 but I have no idea what I'm doing half the time and just feel like a burden to the team.

If you're willing to go a bit old school, the original Thief and Thief 2 fit your criteria fairly well. The stories are interesting, it's not just "steal everything in sight"... well, not always. They're definitely stealth-based. There are definitely puzzles you need to solve (Constantine's Mansion in Thief 1 in particular is a huge mindfuck). And the ideal way to play Thief is with no combat at all, so it's definitely not just mindlessly beating things up.

Of course, since these games were released nearly two decades ago, their graphics and gameplay designs will be rather dated. It's up to you to decide whether that's a problem.

I've never played Thief 3 or the newest Thief, so I don't know if they're any good. But I definitely enjoyed Thief 1 and 2.
Oh yeah. The new Thief felt like a sort of Dishonored offshoot to me when I played it. It shoukd be worth a try @fade

EDIT. Oh, this thread was a necro.