[Brazelton] Ray Dolby

Ray Dolby died yesterday of Leukemia.

He is the reason audio tapes (at least those recorded with Dolby B and played back on Dolby B devices, which was most cassette tape players by the mid 80s, even portable cassette players had dolby built-in) didn't hiss in the high frequencies.

Dolby's company continued to make improvements to audio, particularly in the theater business, and Dolby Digital surround sound is the most common surround sound in the theaters today. If you recall, old movies seemed to have very loud high frequencies, sometimes to the point where clipping occurred. This was due to the inevitable hiss that would end up in the final print due to the optical audio technology. Dolby film sound and later Dolby Stereo and Dolby Surround sound eliminated this problem - the first film to use Dolby was A Clockwork Orange, and now every movie uses the same technology (though, of course, patents expire and most sound is now digital).

AAC, most commonly used by Apple and direct competitor to mp3, was developed by Dolby.

Ooo, ouch. I'm getting tired of watching pioneers bite the dust. No help for it, I guess.
He's the reason I recorded all of my old cassettes at +3 instead of just 0. His life has reached the end of the cassette, 'tis a shame his deck did not come with auto-reverse.

--Patrick

Ray Dolby died yesterday of Leukemia.

He is the reason audio tapes (at least those recorded with Dolby B and played back on Dolby B devices, which was most cassette tape players by the mid 80s, even portable cassette players had dolby built-in) didn't hiss in the high frequencies.

Dolby's company continued to make improvements to audio, particularly in the theater business, and Dolby Digital surround sound is the most common surround sound in the theaters today. If you recall, old movies seemed to have very loud high frequencies, sometimes to the point where clipping occurred. This was due to the inevitable hiss that would end up in the final print due to the optical audio technology. Dolby film sound and later Dolby Stereo and Dolby Surround sound eliminated this problem - the first film to use Dolby was A Clockwork Orange, and now every movie uses the same technology (though, of course, patents expire and most sound is now digital).

AAC, most commonly used by Apple and direct competitor to mp3, was developed by Dolby.
I had no idea about any of this. I mean, I recognise the Dolby name as a company, obviously: as you note, it is ubiquitous at theatres, but I had no idea about the man behind it, what its origins were, etc. It's really cool to learn about that, even though it wouldn't have come to me but for his passing. Thanks for sharing this.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Ooo, ouch. I'm getting tired of watching pioneers bite the dust. No help for it, I guess.
He's the reason I recorded all of my old cassettes at +3 instead of just 0. His life has reached the end of the cassette, 'tis a shame his deck did not come with auto-reverse.

--Patrick
You just flip to Side B, "The Afterlife".

It was my version of an April Fools prank. I wanted to do it with the Nelson Mandela thread, but I think everyone would've realized it's a necro because everyone knows he's dead.

Right?