Rant VII: Now With 25% Less Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was tech support for an ISP for a few months. Got sick at that job more than any other. Probably because they crammed a few hundred of us into a room meant for a few dozen, separated by cubicle walls about 3 feet tall.

Most of my favorite moments in call centerdom came while I was working for Boost Mobile, trying to explain to people why their phones wouldn't work in the immediate aftermath of a hurricane. The best response someone came up with (not me, sadly) was "Is there a tree lying in your yard? Is it your tree? No? What do you think happened to our cell towers?"

Though the other good one we had (read: bad one) was working for WaMu before they went bust, we had an agent in my center on the phone with an agent from another center, and the other center's agent started threatening to kill our agent for refusing to take a call that didn't belong to us. Our agent did exactly what they were supposed to do, hit the "emergency call recording" button, put their hand up, and wait for a supervisor to come over, who immediately went back to her cube and listened to the call, called center management at the other center, got them listening to the call, and within 5 minutes or so of the issue starting there was a manager at the other center on the phone apologizing to our agent and the agent at their center had been fired.

M

makare

all our calls are recorded. We don't have any procedures for when the person is rude or threatening. We just have to take it. I think that is a flaw in policy.

That is definitely a flaw in policy. It's also a good way to boost your attrition rates, if your employees don't feel that you care enough about them to even give them an effective way to deal with offensive callers. I always made sure that any call center I managed (3 so far) had a policy on what an agent should do if a caller is rude and threatening. They always included an option to get off of the call without getting in trouble for hanging up on a caller, after first telling the caller that the call would be disconnected if the abusive behavior continued.

M

makare

When that guy called yesterday I was so upset I called my sup over. Seriously if the guy hadn't hung up I would have just made him talk to him. I don't care what policy is I don't have to sit there and take that crap from anyone.

Ugh, I have to write an essay for this Art 107 class (a requirement to get teacher accreditation in New Brunswick). The topic? First, start with your favourite song, who wrote it, who performed it, and why they wrote the song. That immediately is a problem for me because I don't have a favourite song. I'm not big into music, so I have no flipping clue what to talk about. I mean, I guess if I had to pick a favourite band or singer, it'd be Bryan Adams, but past that? I don't have any kind of song that "speaks to me" or whatever. I've never really had one that I loved.

I like music, I appreciate it, but it's just not something I've ever put any thought or focus into because it just wasn't my thing. I've had friends tell me, "Oh! Listen to the lyrics to this!" and for me it's like listening to a poem (note: I don't like poetry). And then they look to me to see my reaction, I'm like, "Uh, okay?"

Ugh, I have to write an essay for this Art 107 class (a requirement to get teacher accreditation in New Brunswick). The topic? First, start with your favourite song, who wrote it, who performed it, and why they wrote the song. That immediately is a problem for me because I don't have a favourite song. I'm not big into music, so I have no flipping clue what to talk about. I mean, I guess if I had to pick a favourite band or singer, it'd be Bryan Adams, but past that? I don't have any kind of song that "speaks to me" or whatever. I've never really had one that I loved.

I like music, I appreciate it, but it's just not something I've ever put any thought or focus into because it just wasn't my thing. I've had friends tell me, "Oh! Listen to the lyrics to this!" and for me it's like listening to a poem (note: I don't like poetry). And then they look to me to see my reaction, I'm like, "Uh, okay?"
I would, because I'm a bit of a shit, turn in a paper on something like the Toronto Song and it would just say, "Fuck you, it's funny."

In all seriousness, when I have assignments I can't tolerate, I do insert sarcastic remarks to keep me sane, and I have indeed done entire (short) assignments in jest. So if it isn't worth a substantial amount, pick Weird Al and write a faux-deep analysis of the significance of that period in his life inspiring his writing of it.

Heh, yeah, I'm going with Weird Al just to screw with it. He mentions more influences than Bryan Adams, too. Plus, he mentions Monty Python. So boom. Game on.

ThatNickGuy do Bryan Adams "Summer of '69" there should be plenty of info out there on that song. Even the reason that he wrote the song to be 10 years too old for him. It was originally the summer of '79. But executive meddling had him write it about the baby boom generation to make it more appealing.

I don't go for Weird Al because he "writes" his songs to lampoon and just to make money...

He might, but the vast majority of artists he parodies consider it a rite of passage. You're not big until Weird Al parodies you.

Plus, Prince turned him down every time and I hate Prince, so go Al.

Cajungal

Staff member
I don't listen to him often, but I have to acknowledge that he does have amazing talent. He is an artistic fruitcake.

Basically this. I don't even know any music he's done aside from the one on the Tim Burton Batman movie. I'm sure he's talented. But he's a pretentious spaceman.

Researching Weird Al has taken a very strange turn of events. I went from Frank Zappa to Halim El-Dabh, the latter of whom I've never heard of. Zappa I've heard of, of course.

M

makare

Got a call tonight from another jerk. This one wasn't bad he was just an ass. As I went to get my supervisor for him to talk to, he wouldn't talk to me, he hung up. My sup tracked the call and this guy has called in like a hundred times! I mean wtf dude get a life.

I just coughed so hard tears began to run down my face. Then, when I thought I could possible cough harder, I coughed and threw up.

I didn't even HAVE a cough until a half hour ago!

S

SeraRelm

"yay, I can't breathe. yay, now I'm throwing up which means I can breathe even less."

That sucks and I know how you feel.

"yay, I can't breathe. yay, now I'm throwing up which means I can breathe even less."
Exactly. My nose is stuffed up to so I feel like I may start hallucinating due to a lack of oxygen.

Also, my kid keeps asking if I'm okay. What else can I do but say 'I will be.'? I don't want to worry him...but the assertions that I am fine makes him more demanding, it seems.

S

SeraRelm

Cuz he knows you aren't ok, but he wants you to be ok. Just tell him you're sick, but you'll get better.

You don't slap them upside the head and yell, "NO, I'M ACTING THIS WAY BECAUSE IT'S FUN!" as you vomit another cough?

Man, I've been doing it wrong all these years...

S

SeraRelm

It's not right to constantly abuse your kids!

It's no fun when they expect it...

When I was a child my mkm would make me peanut butter, chocolate chip cookies when I was sick.

They are simple to make so I just made some. Everything was going well until I tried to take them out of the oven. First I squished two of the cookies under the thumb of my overn mitt...then I started to cough and lost five cookies to the bottom of my oven.

So, now I'm sick..and I need clean burned on cookie dough from the elements of my over.

Can I quit today? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.