Rant VII: Now With 25% Less Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like you're stuck away in incredible depths, cut off from all light? Or is it that you feel your wife* has subsumed your existence?

--Patrick
*The analogy doesn't work the other way around, after all.
Perhaps like he has a glowing lure suspended from his forehead that tricks food into coming closer.

Just had a very, very long conversation with my former Blockbuster Video boss. It all started when I posted on Facebook about my confusion of why a guy needs to say "no homo" after complimenting a fellow guy. He comes on and says some pretty chauvinistic, homophobic remarks that got several of my friends riled up.

We got into an argument about it in private. It came up that he told me several times while working that he cheated on his wife. He denied this until I said that he told me several times and that it's impossible for me to forget that. Not to mention that he was a creepy bastard when it came to women. One time, a friend of mine and his girlfriend came into the store. My boss started talking to her while my friend and I were talking elsewhere. He asked later if she was single and I said, no, she had a boyfriend. His response? Creepily, "Yeah, I'll bet she does." He didn't just mention he cheated once and felt bad about. He was completely open and proud about it, to the point of showing that he had separate credit card bills come to the store.

Anyway, he admitted that he never cheated on his wife, but said he did because he thought it'd make him look cool. The argument just went on and on where he said things like he may not have cheated, but he isn't against the idea of it. I told him how I had little to no respect for him personally because of what he said. For me, cheating is the most dishonest, reprehensible thing possible. You're going behind the back of the person who should trust you the most and seeing someone else. My brother-in-law cheated on my sister once. She forgave him, but to this day, I still don't trust the bastard.

What's worse is that he kept doing passive-aggressive, "pity me" defensive tactics. He'd say things like "You can't be so judgemental on open minded people." I said something like "Open minded is fine. An open marriage and such is fine, as long as it's consensual. Cheating is just blatantly dishonest." He even gave me some bullshit statistic that 75% of people cheat. Being overly defensive and passive aggressive, he even tried bringing up things like "I can't believe I defended you in the yearly review," which had nothing to do with anything we were talking about.

It's just...UGH. I'm not sure what's worse: that he kept defending people that cheat, that he lied about it in the first place because he thought it'd be cool, or that I honestly don't even believe him in the first place. He even tried guilt tripping me by saying something like, "If you want to delete me, fine, but you're hiding from people who are open minded." That's like saying, "You don't respect my political beliefs just because I'm a Nazi!"

Just delete him. It doesn't sound like you get much from the friendship, aside from grief and the distinct need for a shower.

M

makare

I had a caller tonight who upset me so much I was actually shaking. Aside from generally being an asshole he screamed at me that I was a liar for 5 minutes. It takes a lot to upset me. Most of the time my general response to things stays reasonable but to this guy I just wanted to leave my desk. I was upset mostly because I couldn't say what I wanted to say. That's pretty much when I lose it.

I had a caller tonight who upset me so much I was actually shaking. Aside from generally being an asshole he screamed at me that I was a liar for 5 minutes. It takes a lot to upset me. Most of the time my general response to things stays reasonable but to this guy I just wanted to leave my desk. I was upset mostly because I couldn't say what I wanted to say. That's pretty much when I lose it.
When I used to work at a call centre, I would mute myself and say the things I wanted to. Had to be VERY careful with this, though, and make sure the mute button was actually on before I said it. Sometimes I would just growl incoherently. It helped me get through many a shift.

Really? I did some banking customer service for a while and I found the call centre the most relaxing and peaceful job I'd had in a long time. Maybe it was my years as a cocktail waitress but seriously, how can someone get phased by an upset customer over the phone?

I'd let them call me names, rant and chew me out, grab control of the call and get them about their merry way. I saw alot of people do what you did too Nick, I'm sure that helps if it gets to you. I can honestly say I would only use the mute button to laugh at how upset they got or what they called me.

In all honesty, I would rarely have to use it unless I was having a particularly bad day. Maybe less than half a dozen calls in a span of a few days. Plus, this was haughty customer service sometimes: car rentals. Most were good, but like any customer service job, you got the occasional asshole. Had one guy threatening to sue just because his coupon wouldn't work.

Though it was cool to have a - albeit brief - conversation with my favourite writer, Greg Rucka. :D

Yeah, mine was business banking customer service. Dealt with multi-million dollar account holders threatining to get me fired and take their accounts elsewhere because they got a $3.00 service charge.

Oh the hilarity.

S

SeraRelm

Think you're mixing the two, Pat.

Yesterday (the shitty day) the first person I helped (or tried to) kept cutting me off on everything I was saying. He'd ask a question, I'd start to answer, and he'd cut me off before I got more than one or two words in. He did this about 15-20 times before I said "Sir, I'd be more than happy to help you and I'd like to answer all your questions if you'd please let me do so without interruption." I said this in the nicest way possible.

He blew the fuck up, like total conniption fit. Cursing, yelling, threatening to get me fired, to call security, to call the cops. I told him, still calmly and politely that he could do so, but that I'd like for him to leave the store first since he was making an enormous scene. I gave him one of our cards, told him my bosses name and my name since he'd asked (demanded) those, then went on to help the next person who was staring aghast at how this guy was acting.

Then my co-worker never showed up, I was solo the whole night, and had a million (exaggeration... slightly) things to get done.

I used to do some call center work. The customer that stands out was an old woman who absolutely lost her shit over how polite and calm I was. She was swearing at me, calling me names, basically throwing a temper tantrum because she wanted something that was never going to happen. I just calmly told her no, always polite. Finally she says, "I fucking hate how polite you are. You're just doing it to be mean. You think you're so much better than me because you're so fucking polite." Of course I couldn't think of how to respond, so I just said "I'm really sorry you feel that way. I'm not trying to anger you in any way."

Then she got really loud. I couldn't help but laugh after the call was done.

One of my other favorite moments was when a co-worker, who started the same time I did, stood up at his desk one day. He was in the middle of a loud argument, and apparently he had enough. All I heard him say was "Well, it's not going to happen. You want to talk to my supervisor? Okay, you can talk to Mr. Tone. Mister Dial Tone!" Then he slammed down the phone. He took a moment, looked at our supervisor, and calmly said "I don't think this job is going to work out for me."

fade

Staff member
I've never worked for a call center, but I've certainly gotten a little mad on calls. It's never really directly at the operator, but they do represent the company that just dicked me over.

I've never worked for a call center, but I've certainly gotten a little mad on calls. It's never really directly at the operator, but they do represent the company that just dicked me over.
I always felt that people should have a right to get mad at the call center worker. The workers represent the company, they should be able to empathize with customers, and they should know what they're getting into when they take the job. Obviously there are limits, but having customers yell at you is just part of the job. You just try to let it go (sometimes it's still upsetting, I know).

I've always found that being polite to call center workers gets me what I want. I've always assumed they dislike their boss almost as much as asshole customers.
Pretty much, yeah. Taking my inspiration from The Incredibles, I once coached a customer into saying just the right thing to get what he needed, even though my bosses wanted to deny him on a technicality.

M

makare

I very rarely get actually upset at callers usually I just think what a jerk but this guy tonight was exceptionally rude I even put it in the notes. That kind of behavior is unacceptable. I mean grow the fuck up. And I was the second person he had talked to the first one's notes were littered with he is rude, offensive and abusive too.

I do the mute and rant. Usually about stupid shit like people who start giving me their entire address when I ask for a zip code THEN leave off the zipcode. im like wtf really!? or when i say I need the last 4 digits on the card you used and they say, my credit card? no your birthday card what the flippity floop!? (this post has too many fucks in it)

I also get upset at people who do not understand how the billing system works AFTER I explain it. Then when I can't refund their money right at the moment they act like I am intentionally being a dick. Listen jack off if I could do something that would get your stupid ass off my phone dont you think I would!? God damn that is annoying.

Mostly the job is easy and stressless. The never ending stupid makes my head hurt sometimes though.

I act completely nice or say nothing when customers yell at me. After a few seconds of silence when they run out of breath they usually apologize to me. Sometimes it just takes a moment of clarity.

Sometimes I feel really guilty though, because the customers who infuriate me the most are the elderly people who have no idea what electricity is trying to do tech support over the phone. They're super-polite and good-natured but damn if I hate having to explain things 17 times for an hour when I KNOW my AHT is being tracked and can make or break my bonus.

M

makare

Yeah AHT is a bitch. Mine is never right. But I cant get some people off the phone. I get a three minute call that takes twenty because some twat won't listen.

Although I enjoyed one 45 minute call where the lady ranted about men for half an hour. I was having a I hate men day myself and it was fun to hear.

T

Totes Not Chippy

We do not allow you to circumvent bans by posting as alts. Take a week off from the forum instead of 24 hours.
-ESPY

S

SeraRelm

She didn't mention legal threats though, the comments following her's did so.

Status
Not open for further replies.