Rant VII: Now With 25% Less Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use it as a filter. Got a problem with me being a geek? There's the door.

Of course none of that helps if you've actually invested time and emotions into a relationship. By then it's not so easy to be cavalier about ending things. I'm sorry Frank.

I use it as a filter too, when I'm looking for more than a few nights of fun.

Otherwise it's not really going to be worth the loss of time and effort. If the person isn't going to be around when you're doing the "geek" things, why bother bringing it up if it's just going to end that situation as fast as it started?

I took a horrific fall yesterday visiting Suzhou and my ankle has swelled up to twice its size and it hurts like hell. Fuck.

I've taken women I've been dating to a gaming store as part of an afternoon out. Hasn't been a dealbreaker yet.

You probably have better taste in women for the long haul, that's for sure. Any of my short-termers would/have laugh/ed at finding out what I do with the majority of my alone hours at home.

Which is cool, cause I laugh at what they spend their time doing, so it's all good I suppose.

Fair enough. I'd rather not be with someone I consider to be a joke, but if it works for you, that's cool.
It's not a matter of considering them a joke. It's a matter of what will get me off and as often as I want with said person. If I wanted a relationship, I'd be in the "other fishing pond".

S

SeraRelm

Shego is shopping for perishables right now, you're going for the canned goods.

S

SeraRelm

I don't think I'd like eating something rancid, so the wrapping should look nice, but the contents sure as hell better be fresh.

Well, my brother just got out of a 5 hour surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his mouth. They also removed 30 lymph nodes from the left side of his throat and took 8 tissue samples from surrounding tissues, and biopsies will be back in 5 days. They think they got all of the cancer, but we'll have to wait and see. Now he goes in for a 6 to 8 hour reconstructive surgery, where they have to take skin and blood vessels from his arm to replace the portion of his cheek and lips that they removed, and then skin from his side to replace the skin on his arm that they're removing. He'll have to completely relearn how to talk and eat, because he'll have permanent nerve death on the left side of his mouth (in addition to the partial nerve death he has in his tongue from lack of oxygen at birth, which contributes to his speech problems). We're still not sure what his prognosis is, and there is still a higher chance than we'd like that he won't make it through the second surgery. Apparently this type of oral cancer has a 50% mortality rate when caught early, and they didn't catch his until he was already stage 3.

I hope your brother will be OK man. Situations like his is why I called myself a Cancer Tourist. I had it so easy compared to most other patients.

Thanks. He definitely has a long road ahead of him, even if they did manage to get all of the cancer out in surgery and there's no extensive radiation or chemo required. Last we heard he was looking at six weeks of radiation, five days a week, twenty minutes a day. All of which has to take place in Iowa City, which is three hours from his home, so he and my grandparents (he was adopted by them, it's a loooooooong story) have to work out arrangements with social workers and such for how they're going to stay there, and who's going to stay with him, or is he going to stay by himself, etc. Plus, he's going to be in the hospital for at least 7 - 10 days post-surgery, in ICU for at least part of the time.

Well, he made it out of the second surgery and was doing OK, but apparently started bleeding and had to go back in for surgery - at least, that's what we think happened. My grandmother (my brother's mother by adoption) got a call "a while ago" that they were considering taking him back in to surgery because he was bleeding; and apparently she called my mother (my brother's biological mother) and said "he's bleeding and they're taking him back in to surgery." There's a lot of family drama built in to the situation, so what's really happening I won't know until my mom finds something out from the hospital (which she just got back to) and calls my dad, who will call me.

Edit: OK, got a call from my mom, who is calmer... his blood pressure spiked to 270 (over what I don't know), and then started going back down. They don't know if he's had a stroke, or what's causing the blood pressure spikes, but his pupils are reactive and the doppler scans on the skin and blood vessel grafts they did on his cheek are still good, so blood is still flowing. They are worried that if he keeps spiking blood pressure like this it'll blow the vessels in the graft and kill it and they'll have to take him back in. For now, they're going to start an EEG and some CAT scans to see what's going on. Also, I'm probably not going to sleep tonight.

Edit 2: Well, he made it through the night, and he's in stable condition; but they had to put him in a medically induced coma and then had to medically paralyze him twice - first his whole body and then specifically his head/mouth - because he was grinding his teeth so much that they were worried he might rip out his sutures and the inside of the cheek graft. They're waking him up today, so we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.