Rant VII: Now With 25% Less Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is hilarious that we spent nearly a year with a heat drought and wild fires just a month or so ago. Now there's so much hail piled up outside it looks like it snowed.

:okay:
570 USD wouldn't even get you a bachelor's apartment anywhere around here. Maybe a basement bachelor's, I've seen a few of those that were $600.
Mine is a 2 bedroom 75 sq meter apartment next to the subway station. It's pretty much the reason I took it. Walking 2 minutes to Line 4 to go to work is so convenient. It's the most expensive place I've rented in China thus far. My shenyang apartment was less than $500 (2,500RMB) but 108 sq meters in the city center.

That being said, You can easy spend $1,000+ a month on places in Shanghai (I've seen places rent as high as $3,000+, with apartments/houses selling around $400,000-$500,000 + depending on location and size.). It's not as if my place is top of the line. If I were to have a family here, I probably would, and the neighborhoods can be very nice, with full security and tons of amenities.

:okay:
570 USD wouldn't even get you a bachelor's apartment anywhere around here. Maybe a basement bachelor's, I've seen a few of those that were $600.
My brother and his girlfriend just moved into the slums of my upper middle class little suburb and they pay 1100 a month for a tiny little apartment. I pay much more than that.

My brother and his girlfriend just moved into the slums of my upper middle class little suburb and they pay 1100 a month for a tiny little apartment. I pay much more than that.
Yeah that's pretty much what its like here too. My one friend landed a sweet deal in Toronto, way out on the East side, but other than that in Toronto, a one bedroom is generally 900- 1200 depending on how close you are to downtown.
Its not AS bad in the suburbs here, but most of the apartments are basement apartments where you'll get no privacy whatsoever.

Yeah, it's stuff like pictures of that, pictures of giant spiders and all those sorts of pictures that make me pretty ok with where I live. I live in a nice house with a furnace. I'm good.

fade

Staff member
Shego, we had that happen in College Station on Christmas Eve around 1999 or so when I was in grad school. I remember the insurance companies all set up lines and processed people through like cows. They didn't even try to cheat customers. They new they were screwed. All these scammy roadside dent repair places popped up overnight, too. Some of them managed to stick around for years thanks to that shot of startup cash.

On the other hand, we did actually have a white Christmas in Texas, even if the snowflakes were the size of golfballs.

The rent on my house is 650.00 a month. Probably because it is an older house that shares the property with a rather noisy garage.

The land lord did raise the rent once from 550 to the current price but we felt that was fair, looking at how one bed room apartments were about 550 a month in the city.

We're hoping that if Steves job works out we can look into getting a house! One with a YARD!

Funny things that irritate me: I don't like being referred to as a "victim of the tornado". It's not like the tornado was a predator, and I spent the last two weeks showing police officers on a doll house where the bad tornado touched it.

I prefer "tornado survivor". It makes me sound more durable and manly.

Dave

Staff member
Uhp, well I'm the fool once again. Really should read more in the back posts. Plus, I thought she was talking about a friend from some-where else who delt with hale, not her specifically. My bad!
Shit happens, young man. If I had a nickel for every time I said something in a thread and wanted to retract it I'd be able to buy groceries.

Uhp, well I'm the fool once again. Really should read more in the back posts. Plus, I thought she was talking about a friend from some-where else who delt with hale, not her specifically. My bad!
To be fair, the pics Shego posted were ones a friend of hers took, so your post wasn't necessarily inaccurate, just a bit redundant seeing as Shego had already commented on the state of her own car. It is possible her friend's car remains unscathed for all we know. I just thought it was funny.

Also, I routinely post things in the Awesome Videos Thread that were posted on that same page or the one before it..
Oooh, that's just the worst idn't it? It's like buying a really cool t-shirt that you think is gonna make you stand out and BAM! Three other guys have the same friggin' shirt.

So I was standing at the urinal, and I thought I saw something on my untucked shirt, so I reached up to see what it was. And that's how I peed on my shirt today.

I could really use a nap.

Groceries? Hell I'd be able to buy two tanks of gas!
Groceries trump gas. :( I can get by on a 55.00 tank of gas a week...but every week I also eng up buying between 150.00-200.00 of groceries. Thus is the life of a person with a family.

I suddenly feel like hugging Dave. I only have Jet, husband and myself. At least Jet get full on relatively NOTHING and Steve and I can watch ourselves. Dave has at least one teenager and a 20 year old...my sisters and I about ate my parents out of house and home at those ages!

Groceries trump gas. :( I can get by on a 55.00 tank of gas a week...but every week I also eng up buying between 150.00-200.00 of groceries. Thus is the life of a person with a family.

I suddenly feel like hugging Dave. I only have Jet, husband and myself. At least Jet get full on relatively NOTHING and Steve and I can watch ourselves. Dave has at least one teenager and a 20 year old...my sisters and I about ate my parents out of house and home at those ages!
My brother still does. Guy eats all the freakin' bread and pasta like he owns the place whenever he's here. I still hold the record though, I was the husky boy growing up thas for sure.

Dave

Staff member

That's not even what's bad. What's bad is they have friends who come over! Ever want to spend a lot of money? Have a group of teenagers descend on your house like locusts. My daughter had two friends I caught in the kitchen making PB&J sandwiches. There were two of them. A whole loaf of bread was gone.

Don't even get me started on soda! I hide any soda in the house and put out gallons of Kool-aide.

That's the other problem we have. We are still in our twenties and we are the only ones with a reliable space so our friends are always coming over.

What kind of hosts would we be if we didn't feed them? :(

Hosting, uh. I hate hate HATE being a host. I almost never have enough snacks, and on the days when I'm having pizza THAT is when my friends decide to come over unanounced. And their always like "Come on Mick, gimme a slice!" NO! This my dinner, and I didn't invite you in the first place. Have an apple or somethin. Or when they just up and decide to make cereal in your kitchen with-out even asking you. I freakin' hate my friends sometimes.And don't get me started on when my friends come over asking for beer. 1.) It's my parents beer 2.) You hit me last time you drank .

And when I hang out for brews, they always get the absolute worst beer. My one friend, all he drinks are wine coolers and smirnoff lime light. I swear to Satan, those things make me sober. Or even worse Pabst blue Ribbon. ATENTION HIPSTERS! Pabst and Heineken are the SAME THING! Quite lying to yourselves.One time my friend promised me that the party was gonna have all kinds of weed and beer. It was 3 Amstel lights, and a box of five hour energy. Five hour energy is NOT weed! It just makes awake and have a bad taste in your mouth. I all-ready get that from coffee thank you very much! And my friend wouldn't even let me have one of the Amstels even though I freaking helped him move that day. Man I need better drinkin' buddies. Or just...better buddies in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.