Rant VII: Now With 25% Less Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always steal the joke about the ultimate bargaining chip - kittens are free. Seriously, I'm sure I would unhappily drop the cash if one of my two cats started getting sick though. Hope the furball is okay.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Aww. Poor kitty. :( Hope your fur-buddy is back to his usual self soon, Nick.

$550 dollars worth of tests and they come up nothing. X-rays showed a lot of gas in his little tummy. They said he was pretty alert, even though not very energetic. Bit of a high temperature (40 c). Blood tests won't come back until tomorrow.

So...yeah, still no word, yet. They think it might be a flu.

I have been having issues with my laptop for awhile now mainly it has been over heating. I have the extended warranty so I sent it in for repair and that started a nightmare. So it took them a month of stalling before they came forward and told me that they could not locate the part I needed. So they said that they would send me a check for my laptop minus any claims they had against it.

Well it turns out that they automatically put a $350 claim against it as soon as I sent it in. Now I only spent $700 on the laptop in the first place so I was only going to get half my money back. So I called my warranty company to make sure they were sending me my laptop back as well as the cash. They said they were so I figured I could send my laptop into the original manufacture for an out of warranty repair and use the money my warranty company was going to be sending me to pay for the repair.

So I finally received my laptop back from the warranty company and to my surprise I found out that they replaced my processor with a lower model one. I had a 2.30 ghz processor and they sent it back with a 1.60 ghz processor.

And than on top of that the laptop has a huge chink of plastic out of the bottom, there is a crack on the side, and they didn't screw in a piece correctly so it is sticking out a bit. I called them up but they said they would not be able to give me an answer about what they will do until Monday. But they did say they were not sure what they were going to do about it since it in their words "a very unusual circumstances" I included some pics below for you all to see.

While I am still waiting to hear back I am afraid there is a possibility in the way the contract is worded that they may not have to do anything. I was reading the warranty info and it state that the warranty company has the choice on whether or not to send you your unrepairable laptop back once they write you a check. Now as I have already said they did agree that they would send me back my laptop but they did agree to send it back in working condition.

I know I am probably being overly paranoid but I am worried they are going to say "well we did not have to give it back to you at all so you should be grateful just to have it back" The worst part is they knew that when I asked for it back that I was wanting to repair it. I even told them I had found a place that had the part I needed but they still sent me back my laptop all jacked up.

And it really sucks cause I was looking forward to sending my laptop out to the original manufacture next week so I could get it fixed but now I have to wait to hear back about what my extended warranty company is going to do about my laptop they jacked up. I mean I expected it to come back in the same condition I sent it to them in but instead they send it back in worse condition. Man as it stands now I will never buy an extended warranty from Newegg again and in fact since Newegg sold me the warranty I am finding it hard to even shop at Newegg themself.

Money well spent. I used to think people who spent thousands on keeping their pets alive were crazy and/or stupid. I mean, yeah you love 'em but they're just animals. Then my dog got sick. We spent a lot of money on her. They really are a member of the family.

I just got off the phone with my warranty company for my laptop and they just got done trying to tell me that the laptop was like that when they received it. I told them that it was not. They than said they had pictures showing that it had cracks in it and that the broken piece must have been from that. I informed them that there were no cracks when I sent it adn and even if there was that would not explain the miss screwed piece of plastic or the processor being swapped out. They than told me that they would contact me again later on with more info.

Seriously, why is it that every school year feels like it's adding a ton of stress to my life? It's the goddamned third grade. I realize that I can't remember anything before, say, fourth grade, but I'm pretty sure my parents weren't constantly having to fill out paperwork, thwart fundraising attempts, and concern themselves with whether or not I could manage the homework load I was, as I do recall, NOT being given.

Of course my parents were high on the couch watching TV the whole time*, so maybe they aren't the norm.

*Allegedly. (Never know what will start a lawsuit these days.)

W

Wasabi Poptart

Seriously, why is it that every school year feels like it's adding a ton of stress to my life? It's the goddamned third grade. I realize that I can't remember anything before, say, fourth grade, but I'm pretty sure my parents weren't constantly having to fill out paperwork, thwart fundraising attempts, and concern themselves with whether or not I could manage the homework load I was, as I do recall, NOT being given.

Of course my parents were high on the couch watching TV the whole time*, so maybe they aren't the norm.

My son just started kindergarten yesterday. He had homework! The teacher emailed instructions to us so we could help him with it. Turns out, he will get some homework every day except Friday. WTF? I don't remember having homework until I was in middle school.

My son just started kindergarten yesterday. He had homework! The teacher emailed instructions to us so we could help him with it. Turns out, he will get some homework every day except Friday. WTF? I don't remember having homework until I was in middle school.[/QUOTE]

I started getting homework in 1st grade.

Where I teach at the Korean school in china, if I don't give homework everyday for every class, parents start to get pissed, so I just pile it on

Cajungal

Staff member
My mentor teacher is pretty cool about homework. They have it, but it's not really a big deal. Every night they have a tiny little booklet to read about animals or a new place. It's 10 pages and mostly pictures, and we guide them through it the first time. It's mostly a fluency exercise. They read it 4 times in a week and then do a comprehension activity. They bring home what they can't finish in a day--usually a math or spelling review. It's pretty light stuff, and they don't have homework at all on Wednesday or Friday. She calls Wednesday "Family Fun Night" and encourages kids to do something fun with a relative then share a story about it on Thursday morning.

She makes the homework fairly easy and short every day--mostly it's practice for tests. Bringing things home and then returning them to be checked seems more an exercise in responsibility and learning a routine than anything else. And I remember getting homework in Kindergarten. Granted, it was coloring and handwriting and didn't take more than half an hour, but still.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

My mentor teacher is pretty cool about homework. They have it, but it's not really a big deal. Every night they have a tiny little booklet to read about animals or a new place. It's 10 pages and mostly pictures, and we guide them through it the first time. It's mostly a fluency exercise. They read it 4 times in a week and then do a comprehension activity. They bring home what they can't finish in a day--usually a math or spelling review. It's pretty light stuff, and they don't have homework at all on Wednesday or Friday. She calls Wednesday "Family Fun Night" and encourages kids to do something fun with a relative then share a story about it on Thursday morning.

She makes the homework fairly easy and short every day--mostly it's practice for tests. Bringing things home and then returning them to be checked seems more an exercise in responsibility and learning a routine than anything else. And I remember getting homework in Kindergarten. Granted, it was coloring and handwriting and didn't take more than half an hour, but still.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Also, teachers in lots of schools are required to send an email, a letter home, or both each week in order to try and keep parents up to date. It can seem annoying to some parents, but they do it because administration is stressing the importance of at least trying to keep guardians informed about what and how their students are doing. I never took weekly newsletters home from teachers, but I've never assisted at a school yet that didn't have something like that brought home.

So this week has been pretty stressful so far. My company is moving our office to a new building at the end of the week so I spent Tuesday in a frenzy trying to get as many things done and out of the way as I could so I wouldn't have to worry about them not getting done while being distracted with the actual moving. On top of that, I had the first test in my capstone class for my finance degree (a financial cases and modeling course0. We had four cases that we went over during the past couple weeks and then got another four sample exam cases to study over the weekend. Out of the eight cases, one would be chosen for the test. It was a pain, I'll tell you what. On top of that, the deadline for my spring study abroad is coming up on October 1st and I've been feeling behind when it comes to finding money for it.

So anyway, on Tuesday I manage to get the big majority of my stuff done that I needed. I've just got a couple of things that I can finish Thursday morning and then I'll be ready to devote myself to the move. Today I had a meeting with the coordinator for my particular study abroad and found out that I'm pretty well on track. She pointed me in the direction of some scholarship resources that are geared for studies abroad and many of them require me to be accepted to the program in order to apply, so I'm feeling less rushed about that. I got my passport application turned in and I've chosen my classes so really all I need to do is focus on completing my application in time. This afternoon was my test and it ended up being on the easiest case in the unit, much to the pleasure of the entire class. So all in all, I was feeling good when I left school today.

Then my car blows a coolant hose as I'm approaching the off ramp on my way home. :mad2:

M

makare

So this week has been pretty stressful so far. My company is moving our office to a new building at the end of the week so I spent Tuesday in a frenzy trying to get as many things done and out of the way as I could so I wouldn't have to worry about them not getting done while being distracted with the actual moving. On top of that, I had the first test in my capstone class for my finance degree (a financial cases and modeling course0. We had four cases that we went over during the past couple weeks and then got another four sample exam cases to study over the weekend. Out of the eight cases, one would be chosen for the test. It was a pain, I'll tell you what. On top of that, the deadline for my spring study abroad is coming up on October 1st and I've been feeling behind when it comes to finding money for it.

So anyway, on Tuesday I manage to get the big majority of my stuff done that I needed. I've just got a couple of things that I can finish Thursday morning and then I'll be ready to devote myself to the move. Today I had a meeting with the coordinator for my particular study abroad and found out that I'm pretty well on track. She pointed me in the direction of some scholarship resources that are geared for studies abroad and many of them require me to be accepted to the program in order to apply, so I'm feeling less rushed about that. I got my passport application turned in and I've chosen my classes so really all I need to do is focus on completing my application in time. This afternoon was my test and it ended up being on the easiest case in the unit, much to the pleasure of the entire class. So all in all, I was feeling good when I left school today.

Then my car blows a coolant hose as I'm approaching the off ramp on my way home. :mad2:
aw po baer.

tomorrow it will just be you on your motorcycle off to work singing All the Single Ladies!

hey guys, baer drives a harley!

W

Wasabi Poptart

One of the kids in my son's class spit in his face yesterday on the playground. I wish I could tell my son to punch that little brat in the nose if it happens again.

North_Ranger

Staff member
One of the kids in my son's class spit in his face yesterday on the playground. I wish I could tell my son to punch that little brat in the nose if it happens again.
Hell, if any of my students tried to do that to me, I'd probably punch him as well.

The only time I actually did get spat on was when I was in the army. Some asshole in my company was pissing me off, and then he went and spat on my uniform. I immediately bullrushed him. He was in better shape than I was, but I outweighed him heavily. I had him pinned against the wall when we were pulled apart.

figmentPez

Staff member
Ugh! This morning was a lot of pain and effort... 100% wasted. *sigh* I'm not looking forward to doing this over again because of someone else's mistake.

Cajungal

Staff member
There's a zero tolerance policy in effect at more and more schools now that pretty much states, "I don't care who started it. If you fight, you're out." I've seen teachers turn their heads and/or deal with it privately, though, and I think that's usually best. Sometimes you can't avoid confrontation. Sometimes it starts with suspension and then expulsion if the behavior continues.

The ticket I got two weeks ago for biking through a red light (during a pedestrian-only walk) is now settled. I went to the court office today, spoke with a justice of the peace and the ticket's fine (which was minimum $300 and at most possible $550) was reduced to $125. And I paid it. Still sucky, but a hell of a lot more manageable than before.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I don't think he'll get in too much trouble if he hit back. Boys will be boys, you know.
Actually, like CG said, his school does not tolerate kids hitting (or spitting at) others. They get two or three infractions before they get expelled. I don't need him getting kicked out of kindergarten.

Shit. A pile of people were over at my house an hour ago, and I felt myself going into a funk, so I left to go for a short walk and clear my head. I came back and everyone's gone, and it makes me feel like that asshole who ended the party too early, despite that being the exact opposite of what I was trying to do.

And the funk was about: I feel so conflicted these days about the direction I'm choosing for my life. A few months ago I was in a relationship, and while the relationship ended, I know now that I'm fully capable of being in a healthy adult relationship. But looking back, I realize that I was prepared (and was in the process of) sacrificing a huge part of my dreams and desires ... my very identity to make it work. It looked a lot like compromise at the time, but looking back it strikes me as giving up too much.

But if in the end I don't compromise, and I charge forward into the lifestyle that I dream of (one of endless travel and adventure: not staying much longer than a few months in one place over another, in case anyone is wondering) it has the potential to be a very lonely existence. And I don't do well with loneliness. But I don't do well feeling caged in one place, either. Not having left Newfoundland in the past two years has been a challenge to cope with.

I had a customer from hell at work today.

She called me, screaming and being irate right off the bat. I knew this would be a fun call when the first thing she asked me was if a manager was present. When I told her no, it was only me today, she started going off. She had just checked her bank statements, and had discovered that we had erroneously overcharged her when she made her last bill payment. We had charged more money to her credit card than she paid.

So, this is an obvious mistake, but pretty easy to fix. I apologize for the error, and tell her that it was a mistake, and that we'll refund the balance to her. This isn't good enough for her. She calls me a theif, her exact words being "You, it was you I talked to, and you're taking money straight out of my account!"

Now, our records record which employees handle which customers for every transaction. I had already pulled up the transaction in question, and could see that it was Samantha, the store manager, that she had dealt with. Not me. I decide to ignore this for now, let her yell, and once again tell her that I can refund her money.

It's still not good enough. She asks to speak to Samantha's (again, the manager) boss. I tell her that he is the district manager, and isn't available on weekends. If she wants to call monday...

"I want his personal number. I want to talk to him right this minute."

Sigh... I inform her that I don't have his personal number to give. It's not a complete lie, while I do have his personal number, it certainly isn't to give out to irate customers. I give her another phone number she can call, which directs her to our company customer support, who can take complaints and send them to the proper channels. She doesn't want this either, now she asks for the owner's number.

Again, I give her the customer support line, and remind her that I can still give her a refund on the overage. She claims I just don't want to help her, makes a vague threat that the last person who did this got fired (which isn't true, that employee was fired for completely different reasons), and that she's going to call *name of company that we have no connection to, except that we're a retailer of their products* to report me, and then hangs up.

The best part about all of this? The overage was $2.00. Two dollars. She was overcharged two bucks. It was nothing but a simple typo in the billing.

There's just no pleasing some people.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I had a customer from hell at work today.

She called me, screaming and being irate right off the bat. I knew this would be a fun call when the first thing she asked me was if a manager was present. When I told her no, it was only me today, she started going off. She had just checked her bank statements, and had discovered that we had erroneously overcharged her when she made her last bill payment. We had charged more money to her credit card than she paid.

So, this is an obvious mistake, but pretty easy to fix. I apologize for the error, and tell her that it was a mistake, and that we'll refund the balance to her. This isn't good enough for her. She calls me a theif, her exact words being "You, it was you I talked to, and you're taking money straight out of my account!"

Now, our records record which employees handle which customers for every transaction. I had already pulled up the transaction in question, and could see that it was Samantha, the store manager, that she had dealt with. Not me. I decide to ignore this for now, let her yell, and once again tell her that I can refund her money.

It's still not good enough. She asks to speak to Samantha's (again, the manager) boss. I tell her that he is the district manager, and isn't available on weekends. If she wants to call monday...

"I want his personal number. I want to talk to him right this minute."

Sigh... I inform her that I don't have his personal number to give. It's not a complete lie, while I do have his personal number, it certainly isn't to give out to irate customers. I give her another phone number she can call, which directs her to our company customer support, who can take complaints and send them to the proper channels. She doesn't want this either, now she asks for the owner's number.

Again, I give her the customer support line, and remind her that I can still give her a refund on the overage. She claims I just don't want to help her, makes a vague threat that the last person who did this got fired (which isn't true, that employee was fired for completely different reasons), and that she's going to call *name of company that we have no connection to, except that we're a retailer of their products* to report me, and then hangs up.

The best part about all of this? The overage was $2.00. Two dollars. She was overcharged two bucks. It was nothing but a simple typo in the billing.

There's just no pleasing some people.
You know me. I'd love to make a snarky joke about this, considering how it's 9/11 and all... but I think I'll pass. Good job on handling the client, though... Personally I would've told her to sit down and rotate. On a giant pine cone.

Status
Not open for further replies.