RANT III - Anything and Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Troll said:
Espy said:
Maybe not but since he responded to me and followed up with a "YOU students" I figured, let's be clear on this now... :whistling:
Well apparently you think everything is about you, stupid filthy American. :Leyla:
No of course I don't, but if I did, you know, I might not be all that wrong, I'm pretty important. I drive a CAMRY you know.

On the OTHER hand you posters who screw dogs make me sick, always thinking the dogs love it. Seriously, I'm sick of it. The dogs don't like it. They don't.

fade said:
Oh yeah, and while I'm at it, I can't stand when you leave early or show up really late. It's disruptive and it makes me think you couldn't care less about the class. And don't give me that crap about how your last class was across campus. Everyone's was, but they all made it on time.
This can work both ways. I was a student representative for 5 years. All professors and us had to show up to a meeting once a month. No classes in our faculty were scheduled on the same time.
However, these meetings were scheduled for 1:30 hours, while they generally lasted 2 hours, easily. No problem most years, except for one year when I had a professor who NEVER showed up for those meetings, started his lessons the minute the meetings were supposed to be finished, and threw me out when I tried to enter the class a few minutes after the official starting time. I had an obligation to those who elected me to be there; he was supposed to be there. That he didn't show up was his problem (and meant he was continuously out of the loop concerning new initiatives), the fact that he penalized me for coming late and didn't allow me to follow his classes was a bitch. He gave me an 8/20 for "missing too many lessons", I had to take it to the board of directors to get a fair second exam...and he still gave me only 12/20 (which is a passing grade, but he single-handedly kept me from getting a maxima cum laude because that requires a minimum grade of 14 in every course, and a PhD because that requires a maxima cum laude or a couple of thousand euros entry money).
HGRAH SUCKY PROFESSORS.

Sorry, I generally really liked my educational staff. That guy, though, despite being academically one of our finest professors, was an absolute jerk.

fade

Staff member
I don't really punish anyone beyond the occasional embarrassment. When I show films (like 2-3 times a semester), I keep a tally on the board of runners and sleepers.

It's always fun to say, "...and that's everything that will be on the exam" right when someone walks in late, or "Bye! Thanks for coming!" when they leave.

-- Mon May 18, 2009 8:52 am --

Espy said:
Maybe not but since he responded to me and followed up with a "YOU students" I figured, let's be clear on this now... :whistling:
Yeah, I actually wasn't talking about you specifically. I figured when you said "discussion groups" you were supposed to, you know, "discuss". I was moving on to my own unrelated classroom-based rant.

Some idiot wouldn't get further than an inch from my tail going 45 MPH. I was almost afraid to slow down to make my turn :explode: Some people severely need to have their license revoked.

Should I have just slammed on my breaks and sued the crap out of him?

fade said:
Espy said:
Yeah, I actually wasn't talking about you specifically. I figured when you said "discussion groups" you were supposed to, you know, "discuss". I was moving on to my own unrelated classroom-based rant.
That's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure you hadn't misread it...

Anyway, I'm so glad tonight is my last class with this bozo. He's not getting high marks from me tonight.

fade said:
On the OTHER hand, I cannot stand when you students talk during class. Give me some respect. I don't mind a smattering of conversation, but in my big 200+ student lectures, there are always little clutches of conversations that go on as though I'm not there for the whole class period. Nothing works either. Embarrassment works for 5 minutes. And if I do get you to shut up, you clam up completely and stop interacting as a class. Honestly, the talking doesn't affect me. I can't hear it because I'm one notch short of yelling. But your classmates who actually *gasp* want to be there come and complain to me after class.
Smurfin' this. It pisses me off when I can't hear everything during the lecture because the guys behind me are talking to eachother. I don't really give a damn if you don't want to pay attention or not; take it freaking outside. You have no right to ruin it for the rest of us who paid good money to take this class and actually want to pass it. Why even bother coming to class if you can't NOT socialize during the lecture? Go back to highschool.

You professors need to crack down on that more strictly. If someone refuses to stop talking, just kick them out of the classroom. Don't make a huge deal about it or feel like you should keep trying to ask them; simply tell them to leave. They're obviously not paying attention anyway so letting them stay isn't doing them any favors. The rest of us will thank you for it.

Maybe it's just because I'm in grad school but no one talks during class. They pay attention and take notes or, if it's a really dumb class, surf the web if things are that bad.

David said:
Should I have just slammed on my breaks and sued the crap out of him?
That's actually my technique for tailgaters -- well, not slamming on the brakes as I'd rather not get rear-ended, but tapping them repeatedly. Forget 45 mph; people on the freeway will tailgate you almost that close going 70. I'm really good at it and don't endanger myself or the other person, but I will brake and go, brake and go, and toss in a bird if necessary to really make my point.

They almost always either back off or change lanes and pass me going 95. Either way, works for me.

Last night some mook from prison called us collect. Mr. ZM decided to do the guy a favor and call his mother and give her a message. Supposedly he "couldn't get in touch with her" and was "trying to call a friend" and "accidentally got us." It's always good to believe strangers who call from prison. :eyeroll: For the record, his mother (it really was her) picked up the phone on the first ring when Mr. ZM called her.

I said "Great, now he knows a number he can call and get people to do things for him."

So imagine my lack of surprise when he called again today.

Imagine whether or not I accepted the call this time.

(By the way, I didn't take issue with the husband accepting the call in the first place, since he couldn't hear the name clearly -- which now I see the guy does on purpose -- and we didn't want to hang up if it was someone we knew.)

Well, was his mother happy to hear from him? I mean, when you said, "Deliver the 'stuff' to Fat Tony and whack Jimmy the Vino right after?" was she excited to have heard from her baby boy?

Espy said:
Well, was his mother happy to hear from him? I mean, when you said, "Deliver the 'stuff' to Fat Tony and whack Jimmy the Vino right after?" was she excited to have heard from her baby boy?
She was nice, and said we probably shouldn't accept any more calls from him.

Espy said:
Funny enough, we had this happen to us when I was growing up.
So is this a technique prisoners use? The whole "I was trying to call a friend" thing sounded like pure bullshit to me, but I'd like to know how he got this number, or if we just happened to win the prisoner con lottery.

ZenMonkey said:
or if we just happened to win the prisoner con lottery.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I think they just dial a number or use a phone book. Either way, it's not a terribly uncommon thing.

... so why do they do this? To avoid calling collect? To avoid the prison from knowing they made an unauthorized call? I don't see the point.

AshburnerX said:
... so why do they do this? To avoid calling collect? To avoid the prison from knowing they made an unauthorized call? I don't see the point.
No, he did call collect. My guess was because none of his friends wanted to hear from him, and apparently his mother didn't either since as I said it was simplicity itself to get her on the phone. The message wasn't anything suspicious at all.

I felt like a heel last night for being iffy about this because I'm not in general opposed to helping a stranger in this way. It was just that my bullshit meters were pinging all over the place, and apparently for good reason.

Imagine an older person who gets confused, or just a dimwit in general who gets this call, nice guy, just wants to talk to his mom... next call... same nice guy, needs just a few things he will pay the person back if he sends them to him, etc.

the guy who called my mom when I was a kid tried to get our home address from her.

Here's a tip: Don't give it.

The good thing is these calls just show up as "PRISON" in Caller ID, so if there are any more it's simplicity itself to pick up and hang up.

Espy, that is 100% what I was thinking last night.

And by the way, thanks you guys for the discussion on this. I'm not feeling freaked anymore, as I was a bit when he called again today.

Good, just beware he *might* try and call again, maybe a few more times. He probably wont'. But if he does just don't answer.

Espy said:
Imagine an older person who gets confused, or just a dimwit in general who gets this call, nice guy, just wants to talk to his mom... next call... same nice guy, needs just a few things he will pay the person back if he sends them to him, etc.

the guy who called my mom when I was a kid tried to get our home address from her.

Here's a tip: Don't give it.
If they already have your phone number, can't the address be looked up just as easily?

I just googled my own phone number and city and my home address was the first result. Although it appears to be coming from my mom's Geocities page... I think she needs a stern talking-to :eek:rly:

Espy said:
Good, just beware he *might* try and call again, maybe a few more times. He probably wont'. But if he does just don't answer.
Actually I plan to pick up and hang up. Because not answering would mean "maybe they're not home, I'll try again," but hanging up the phone means you do not accept the collect call (according to the recording that you get when they call).

David said:
I just googled my own phone number and city and my home address was the first result.
I have my phone number listed with first initial, last (maiden) name, and no address. You can request that of the phone company.

AshburnerX said:
You could also maybe get the prison's number blocked?
I'd guess that after one or two times of being denied, he'll give up. If not, we will do that and/or contact the prison about this inmate.

It turns out this is a fairly common scam and yet no one at AT&T has ever heard of it. GOOD TO KNOW. Well, no unusual activity on our account so I think that's the end of this.

Meanwhile, gosh I hope this very loud static I'm blasting out my windows isn't bothering the gentleman on his cellphone at all. It would be a shame if he took his hour-long evening nasal cellphone blasting to another location.

So after all the feel-good in the Epic Win thread, I found out today that I owe Sallie Mae 400 bucks because I forgot they want money again now that I'm not in school.

God I need a fucking job.

Today was seriously one of the better days in my recent history. This afternoon I figured I'd call my father, since I haven't talked to him in about a week.

A five minute conversation made it one of the worst days in a while. Got the whole "You're too smart to be living as impoverished-ly as you are!" told me to get my ass in gear and everything else.

I realize the man is my father, and he wants me to do well, but sometimes it doesn't seem like he understands that I'm trying. Admittedly, I'm not trying as hard as he would, but that man just doesn't stop. I'm putting in adequate effort, and he's upset that I'm not putting run-my-life-into-the-ground level goddamn passion into this.

Lied to him to make it sound like I'm better off than I am, but I'm sure he knows the difference.

Man, I fucked up. This girl was cute, she had a similar volume level, probably had similar interests, made small talk, and I didn't pursue and get a nice conversation and acquaintance out of it.

S

Scarlet Varlet

Something miserable happened between two people at work. Now it looks like I'll have to get involved by "doing the right thing". If only I could rewind a few days back and advise someone the gravity of what they are doing as ultimately it may lead to great difficulties and stress for many people.

I'd like it all to go away, but fear it won't be that easy.

Damn.

CynicismKills said:
I don't know if this goes in Rant or Epic Win, but I finally got the balls to ask this girl out who I've met a few times and am quite interested in. No response yet and I'm crazy nervous, 'cause normally I don't do things this impulsive. :confused:
Well, she said no thanks, but hey, at least I gave it a shot.

I know, life, ok? I KNOW I'm depressed and apathetic and detached and need to do something about it! I KNOW! You can stop sending me signs that I'm depressed... I'm well aware, thank you.. I'll get my shit together when the family shitstorm calms down a bit. That sound ok to you? Or am I supposed to be the selfish asshole who asks for therapy when there's no money for therapy?

Don't you talk back to me, life!

That's better. Now let's watch some Red Dwarf and fall asleep, m'kay?

Status
Not open for further replies.