RANT - about anything II

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm hungry as hell and don't have the money to go get anything. I could go home, but I don't have very much gas and don't want to come back. So here's my dilemma: I could go work from home or I could go & come back. I don't want to work from home as it's been frowned upon.

So here's my rant: WHY DO I CARE?!? This is my last week here! Why do I still give a shit about following the rules?

Cajungal

Staff member
Edrondol said:
I'm hungry as hell and don't have the money to go get anything. I could go home, but I don't have very much gas and don't want to come back. So here's my dilemma: I could go work from home or I could go & come back. I don't want to work from home as it's been frowned upon.

So here's my rant: WHY DO I CARE?!? This is my last week here! Why do I still give a shit about following the rules?
Aww, it's because you're a good worker. :) That's a good trait, but seriously, fuck it and go work from home!

ARGH!

So, I mentioned earlier that I had a time with Dell last week. It ended up with me reformatting my laptop and everything worked fine albeit slowly then it ever has. I get up Saturday, flip on the lap top...and am told that my system is corrupted.

Turns out the reformat corrupted my harddrive leaving it unable to run anything. Luckily I'm still under warranty so I ahould be getting a new HD with in the weeks but still...I now have no computer! I hae to use my parents!

:(

Friday. Software drop.

Boss: Ooops, big problem, Adam please do x, y, and z!

Me: Um, no! I have my son's pinewood derby!

Boss: That's ok, you can work until then, then come back and work late!

:aaahhh:

Saturday (the day after). Celebrating son's birthday (same son, for those of you keeping track) all day long. Boss calls in the middle of it.

Boss: Adam! Please do x2, y2, and z2!

Me: Um, no! I'm celebrating birthday stuff! (fortunately away from my computer and any internet connection)

Boss: Oh. Well, you can start working afterwards.

afterwards...

Me: Hey boss, it's actually not my problem, developer x messed up here, here, and here.

Boss: Oh! thanks for finding that! Now get to work on x3, y3, z3!

Sunday. Church and so forth. Boss calls.

Boss: Customer says it doesn't work. Fix it!

sigh

Fixes it over 8 hour period on sunday.

Monday - came in late because, guess what, I wasn't able to get some important home tasks done over the weekend due to work.

Boss: Hey Adam...

/headdesk

I can't really complain, I clocked over 60 hours last week, and though I don't get overtime pay, I am paid by the hour, but still.

Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Also I find that I drop all pretenses of eating well and appropriately under stress, so when I update my graph below you'll see another silly spike for this weekend.

-Adam

stienman said:
Friday. Software drop.

Boss: Ooops, big problem, Adam please do x, y, and z!

Me: Um, no! I have my son's pinewood derby!

Boss: That's ok, you can work until then, then come back and work late!

:aaahhh:

Saturday (the day after). Celebrating son's birthday (same son, for those of you keeping track) all day long. Boss calls in the middle of it.

Boss: Adam! Please do x2, y2, and z2!

Me: Um, no! I'm celebrating birthday stuff! (fortunately away from my computer and any internet connection)

Boss: Oh. Well, you can start working afterwards.

afterwards...

Me: Hey boss, it's actually not my problem, developer x messed up here, here, and here.

Boss: Oh! thanks for finding that! Now get to work on x3, y3, z3!

Sunday. Church and so forth. Boss calls.

Boss: Customer says it doesn't work. Fix it!

sigh

Fixes it over 8 hour period on sunday.

Monday - came in late because, guess what, I wasn't able to get some important home tasks done over the weekend due to work.

Boss: Hey Adam...

/headdesk

I can't really complain, I clocked over 60 hours last week, and though I don't get overtime pay, I am paid by the hour, but still.

Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Also I find that I drop all pretenses of eating well and appropriately under stress, so when I update my graph below you'll see another silly spike for this weekend.

-Adam
Pssst, don't answer the phone if you don't want to go to work. I go wit h the "I didn't get the call, my wife accidently took my phone and left it in her car while she was out." excuse every time.

Cell phones on vibrate are a great excuse. And they feel good if you carry them right.

Shegokigo said:
stienman said:
whines like a little girl

-Adam
Pssst, don't answer the phone if you don't want to go to work. I go wit h the "I didn't get the call, my wife accidently took my phone and left it in her car while she was out." excuse every time.
Meh. I wouldn't feel comfortable lying for even such a simple thing. Besides, I solve problems - it's one of the reasons I'm employed in southeast Michigan (11%+ unempoyment statewide - highest in nation, 13% unemployment locally...). I am the next person to be cut in my little department, if cuts come around again (and in this area/economy/industry there are always more cuts around the corner).

So... yeah, I rant, but I try to remain valuable, and since I'm still being paid by the hour it never hurts to cushion the nest a bit with extra work.

Edrondol said:
Cell phones on vibrate are a great excuse. And they feel good if you carry them right.
:unibrow:

I rarely, if ever have my cellphone on anything but vibrate. It startles me when I've left the sound on and I hear, "Heya Tom it's bob, from the office down the hall. Good to see you buddy, how've you been? Things have been ok for me except that I'm a zombie now... I really wish you'd let us in..." - and I always have to debate whether I want to listen to the song or talk to the caller.

-Adam

Cajungal

Staff member
Edrondol said:
bzzzzzzzzzzzzt "Call me right back." Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. *repeat*
:redface:

Shegokigo said:
stienman said:
Meh. I wouldn't feel comfortable lying for even such a simple thing.

-Adam
So your son's derby, birthday and other family commitments are a "simple thing"? Interesting.
No, lying about not answering the phone is a simple thing. I suppose many people have no problem telling others that they missed their call because their phone wasn't available, battery discharged, etc. I don't like lying at all, and so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

-Adam

stienman said:
No, lying about not answering the phone is a simple thing. I suppose many people have no problem telling others that they missed their call because their phone wasn't available, battery discharged, etc. I don't like lying at all, and so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

-Adam
So let me get this straight:

You'd rather not lie to your jackass of an abusive/uncaring boss, than attend your special family functions?

Shegokigo said:
stienman said:

-Adam

You'd rather not lie to your * of an abusive/uncaring boss, than attend your special family functions?
:rofl:

No, no, no. I'd rather tell him the truth: "I'm not available until this time due to personal commitments."

What's the point in lying? I still attended my family events, and I got the work done. I just don't see the point in lying. I can get what I want and tell the truth.

I'm not going to lose anything by telling the truth or avoiding lies.

-Adam

stienman said:

No, no, no. I'd rather tell him the truth: "I'm not available until this time due to personal commitments."

What's the point in lying? I still attended my family events, and I got the work done. I just don't see the point in lying. I can get what I want and tell the truth.

-Adam
Well if you don't mind being walked-all-over, I don't see a reason to lie either. :smirk:

Shegokigo said:
stienman said:

-Adam
Well if you don't mind being walked-all-over, I don't see a reason to lie either. :smirk:
Meh. Every form of employment is 'being walked all over" for some values of "all."

Keep in mind my whining above is highly dramatized for effect. The reality is that most of my responses were actually of the form, "Haha, right. I'll get back to you when it's convenient for me."

Plus, I did the work on saturday and sunday from home, so I was still in the midst of my family and allowed copious interruptions. Incidentally, the game Gulo Gulo is quite fun.

But yes, I'm nothing better than a two-bit whore. Well, not better than a $40/hr whore.

-Adam

There is absolutely no reason at the DMV that two deaf people should be blown off with no explanation as to why they're being sent someplace else. All anyone had to do was take five minutes to write down the reason, but no, instead they get sent outside with directions to another office and no clue why. I guess it's good I happened to see them and happened to know what the problem was, but I still end up getting all :explode: at these situations.

S

Scarlet Varlet

This post represents a choking hazard.

It should not be given to any child below the age of 5.

Scarlet Varlet said:

The CBP has issued a press release reminding travelers and importers that Scarlet Varlet's posts are not to be imported into the US, and has increased the fines for doing so. The CBP along with other governmental agencies evaluate products for safety and efficacy and have determined that Scarlet Varlet posts present a choking and/or hurling hazard which may result in death or ennui. Please contact the CBP at 1-800-BE-ALERT for more information, or to report infractions.

-Adam

S

Scarlet Varlet

stienman said:
Scarlet Varlet said:

The CBP has issued a press release reminding travelers and importers that Scarlet Varlet's posts are not to be imported into the US, and has increased the fines for doing so. The CBP along with other governmental agencies evaluate products for safety and efficacy and have determined that Scarlet Varlet posts present a choking and/or hurling hazard which may result in death or ennui. Please contact the CBP at 1-800-BE-ALERT for more information, or to report infractions.

-Adam

I'll find a way.

There's always a way. :ninja:

stienman said:
Shegokigo said:
stienman said:

-Adam

You'd rather not lie to your * of an abusive/uncaring boss, than attend your special family functions?

-Adam

Easy solution: start every day off off with 5 beers, when he calls just say "I'd lovvv to, bud I'mm dead dr*hiccup*unk as hell. Sorry! *hic*.

No law states you can't be a drunk ass on your days off :-P

Shannow

Staff member
Motherfucker.

I was going to simply fly out to Rock on the Range this year, and split a hotel room between me and my roommate, sionce he wanted to go. Now, 2 randoms he knows from work, a co-worker and her husband(idiots from his description) , that I do not know, are coming along, and now we all get to drive instead of fly ince they cant afford the flight. And yay, their car is a POS, so either his little civic or my bonneville will make the drive. And in the name of comfort, mine gets nominated.

Also, yay, split the hotel room with 2 beds for 4 people now! yay!

Damn it.

I was looking forward to not makeing the 9 hour drive this time like before. Perhaps I should jsut wander there instead, and have adventures.

Shannow said:
Motherfucker.

I was going to simply fly out to Rock on the Range this year, and split a hotel room between me and my roommate, sionce he wanted to go. Now, 2 randoms he knows from work, a co-worker and her husband(idiots from his description) , that I do not know, are coming along, and now we all get to drive instead of fly ince they cant afford the flight. And yay, their car is a POS, so either his little civic or my bonneville will make the drive. And in the name of comfort, mine gets nominated.

Damn it.

I was looking forward to not makeing the 9 hour drive this time like before. Perhaps I should jsut wander there instead, and have adventures.
Holy shit!

I hate when people hijack plans like this. Is there any way you can put your foot down about some of those changes? Maybe force them to get their own rooms or something? Seriously, if they can't afford it they shouldn't be trying to go in the first place.

Just got my first ever virus (of the computer variety, at least). Still don't know where it came from, but I suspect some web games my wife has been playing. I thought I had it almost cleaned up, then it flared up again. Went ahead with the scorched earth approach (all the good stuff was backed up) and am now actually happier my machine is so clean.

S

Scarlet Varlet

A Troll said:
Shannow said:
mothersmurfer.

Damn it.

Holy *!

I hate when people hijack plans like this. Is there any way you can put your foot down about some of those changes? Maybe force them to get their own rooms or something? Seriously, if they can't afford it they shouldn't be trying to go in the first place.
Call in sick. :thumbsup:

Shannow, did they invite themselves? Because that's the only way that situation could be worse. :(

Best a' luck dude.

S

Scarlet Varlet

Rant: Code and other support tables which are not keyed by year, so one change and it's immediate and retroactive. :explode:

Shannow

Staff member
Gusto said:
Shannow, did they invite themselves? Because that's the only way that situation could be worse. :(

Best a' luck dude.
Naw, he invited them, since he knows em form work and they expressed interest in going. Razzum frazzum. I guess it makes the hotel cheaper, though a friend out there is already giving me the hilton room to us at 50 a night for the 3 nights. Suppose this puts it to extremely cheap with the room and the gas divided, and not flying.

I am making that fucker drive though, so Ill just use my laptop, and he can deal with driving with a hangover on Monday.

Shannow said:
Gusto said:

Best a' luck dude.
Naw, he invited them, since he knows em form work and they expressed interest in going. Razzum frazzum. I guess it makes the hotel cheaper, though a friend out there is already giving me the hilton room to us at 50 a night for the 3 nights. Suppose this puts it to extremely cheap with the room and the gas divided, and not flying.

I am making that fucker drive though, so Ill just use my laptop, and he can deal with driving with a hangover on Monday.
Spend the savings on a verizon or sprint 3G card/usb/thingy and play WoW all the way there.

-Adam

S

Scarlet Varlet

Krisken said:
I'm still waiting on my magnet order so I can easily upgrade the weapons on my Wraithlords. Dammit. :devil:
What magnets? You need rare earth magnets? :paranoid:

Krisken said:
I'm still waiting on my magnet order so I can easily upgrade the weapons on my Wraithlords. Dammit. :devil:
I know Mr. ZM has a source for those for the exact same reason. (Well, not Eldar...) Want me to find out where?

ZenMonkey said:
Krisken said:
I know Mr. ZM has a source for those for the exact same reason. (Well, not Eldar...) Want me to find out where?
Oh, that's ok, they are on the way. Yeah, I heard the idea ages ago for Space Marines, I think it was. I'm using Neodymium magnets. I just hope they're not too strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.