Random Video Game Crap

GasBandit

Staff member
This shit's exactly why I refuse to pay full price for any AAA game. The pre-order bonues, the overpriced DLC, the season passes, the microtransactions, the loot boxes.

A $60 is no longer a $60 game. They bleed customers dry with this bullshit.
Hell, apparently even an $80 game isn't a $60 game :p

Okay, so I'm house-bound for the next 2 weeks. Any suggestions for games I can play using only my right hand?
I mean, besides most strategy, I guess, I'm aware I can go play Civ or Total War, and that those are perfectly playable without keyboard shortcuts (Starcraft, not so much :p).
Wizard 101 can be played entirely by mouse. Once you get out of the tutorial area you have to buy each additional area separately, though. It's actually more entertaining than it might sound at first, too.

--Patrick

Whoops, I missed that.

But EIGHTY DOLLARS for an online multiplayer game with god knows how many microtransactions and loot boxes?

Fuck that shit. If they're going to shill that crap, release it as free to play.
Meanwhile, in a shareholder call recently, Take Two has announced that they plan to add continuous revenue streams to ALL games, multiplayer or single player, going forward from now on

Meanwhile, in a shareholder call recently, Take Two has announced that they plan to add continuous revenue streams to ALL games, multiplayer or single player, going forward from now on
Did they say they were also going to make sure the games were continuously good from now on, too?

--Patrick

I was wondering about the D:OS line. Most sort-of-actionny-RPGs more or less need a hand on the keyboard to enjoy....might give them a try, than.
Combat is all turn based, and is more like XCom/Fire Emblem/FFT so that's why you only need one hand.

Related to DLC/MicroTransaction/Loot Boxes/etc:

Pretty good summary. I'd never quite thought of it as (I'm paraphrasing here) "you're not buying content, you're buying to SKIP content" since you can "grind out" most loot-box stuff.

As always, time <~> money.
Oh I'd always thought of it as "I don't have to spend time on it" but I'd never thought of it as "I'm not getting content, I'm skipping it." That's the "new way of thinking" in that video for me. Hence his title page of "Content versus Anti-Content."

Oh I'd always thought of it as "I don't have to spend time on it" but I'd never thought of it as "I'm not getting content, I'm skipping it." That's the "new way of thinking" in that video for me. Hence his title page of "Content versus Anti-Content."
My take has always been thus:
-I want that special golden skin, but my calculations say I will have to play the game X hours in order to obtain it, and oh hey here is a guy who says he will give me one outright if I just pay him Y units of local currency. Would I rather spend Xhr or Ymoney?
-I sure wish my title that displayed to everyone in game was "PatrThom The Glorious" but you can only get that surtitle by defeating the denizens of Evil Lair... oh hey here is a vending booth outside of Evil Lair selling the title...again the Xhrs or Ymoney dilemma.
-Man I suck at PvP this would sure be easier if I had better gear oh look there's a "Special Merchant" in town for one week only selling stuff from the far lands that take a day of RL travel to get to...XvY again...

...and then my take on the outcome of all this is also thus:
Whale Player: "I spent a few thousand local currency units and got all this awesome gear and prestige, but now at level 99 this game's not fun any more, and it's only been a couple of months since I started playing. Time to move on to another game!"
Game Developer: "Well, looks like people are leaving in droves, guess it's finally time to shutter the server <Windows shutdown sound>."
People Who Only Ever Paid for the Base Game and who are finally about to hit level 20: "What? Hey! I was still using that!"

I mean, if you want to just pay your way right to the end of the game, maybe the developer should just include a $200 option to skip buying the game entirely that just adds your name to the list of "winners" and automatically unlocks all the Steam achievements under your account for that game, and you get to brag about how you beat the entire game without ever even having downloaded it, right? An "express" option?

--Patrick

Last edited:
I mean, if you want to just pay your way right to the end of the game, maybe the developer should just include a $200 option to skip buying the game entirely that just adds your name to the list of "winners" and automatically unlocks all the Steam achievements under your account for that game, and you get to brag about how you beat the entire game without ever even having downloaded it, right? An "express" option?
I think that for $2000 (I've seen higher-priced bundles before) they would DO that, along with putting a fake number of hours invested into your Steam Library at the same time. I honestly would see this coming.

I think that for $2000 (I've seen higher-priced bundles before) they would DO that, along with putting a fake number of hours invested into your Steam Library at the same time. I honestly would see this coming.
I could totally see a South Park game doing this, or a video game version of Cards Against Humanity. I might even encourage it. It would have to be 1337 hours, though.

--Patrick

On a tangentially related note, how many of you have contributed a downvote to EACommunityTeam's comment on Reddit? It's become, to a frankly astounding degree, the most downvoted comment in Reddit history.

If I buy a game, why would I then want to spend more money to not play it?

If the content is so bad that they feel people will want to pay to skip it, then it isn't worth buying in the first place

Bragging rights.

...really at that point* the game you're playing isn't really game.exe, but the metagame around it where you compete with other players of game.exe to see who can "conquer" the game the fastest, get the most points, find the most achievements, piss in the most corners, etc.

--Patrick
*being the point where you're like I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU UNTIL MY WALLET RUNS DRY THE ANTELOPE WILL BE MINE LOOK AT ME I AM A SUCCESSFUL APEX PREDATOR

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
On a tangentially related note, how many of you have contributed a downvote to EACommunityTeam's comment on Reddit? It's become, to a frankly astounding degree, the most downvoted comment in Reddit history.

-678,000 downvotes as of this morning. I think it's about done, it was approximately that last night as well.

figmentPez

Staff member

If the content is so bad that they feel people will want to pay to skip it, then it isn't worth buying in the first place
Haven't you spent like a lot of money on Hearthstone? Why didn't you just grind out earning all the cards?

figmentPez

Staff member
I didn't pay anything initially to play it
But you've kept paying, haven't you? You've bought beyond the pre-order purchase of every expansion, right? What's the difference between paying $50 to start an expansion in Hearthstone, and then buying more packs because you don't want to wait to grind to unlock the rest of the set; and paying $50 to buy some other game, and then buying DLC because you don't want to grind to unlock all the weapons/skins/etc.?

Oh, for crying out loud.
"Holiday will be ruined because iPhone X will steal everyone else's money."
"Holiday will be ruined because EA's games won't sell as well as expected."

What's next? "Holiday ruined when elves accuse Santa Claus of sexual harassment?"

--Patrick

But you've kept paying, haven't you? You've bought beyond the pre-order purchase of every expansion, right? What's the difference between paying $50 to start an expansion in Hearthstone, and then buying more packs because you don't want to wait to grind to unlock the rest of the set; and paying $50 to buy some other game, and then buying DLC because you don't want to grind to unlock all the weapons/skins/etc.?
I'm at work still, so I don't have the time to give a nuanced response, but I think there is a large difference between intent and expectation. HS is a free to play collectible card game, you know going in what you are getting. To answer your other question, the last time I bought card packs with real money was probably un'goro. I didn't buy beyond the prepurchase with knights (despite the running joke that I am the one percent) and I don't plan to buy anything, not even the pre purchase, with k&c

Battlefront locks you out of earning credits if you earn too many, so fuck EA for that too.
Yeah, I saw something about that:

I also saw something that attempted to extrapolate the "total cost" of the game, annnnnnnnnd...

Unlocking All Current Content in 'Star Wars Battlefront II' Takes 4,528 Hours or US$2,100

...that's over six months of uninterrupted play, btw. If you only play 8hrs/day 5 days/wk (i.e., treat it like a full-time job), it would take over twenty-six months. I can see why the $2100 would start to look appealing to some folks, since if you earn 50k/yr, that's only about 1 month's take-home.

--Patrick

Yeah, I saw something about that:

I also saw something that attempted to extrapolate the "total cost" of the game, annnnnnnnnd...

Unlocking All Current Content in 'Star Wars Battlefront II' Takes 4,528 Hours or US$2,100

...that's over six months of uninterrupted play, btw. If you only play 8hrs/day 5 days/wk (i.e., treat it like a full-time job), it would take over twenty-six months. I can see why the $2100 would start to look appealing to some folks, since if you earn 50k/yr, that's only about 1 month's take-home.

--Patrick
Tempting is not my word of choice for spending $2100 on a video game. Plus $60 for the game itself, of course.