Random Comic Book Crap

It's funny, but a lot of his re-vamped Batman concept sounds a lot like The Punisher (except for the "no killing" part). And it still baffles to me to this day why cops adopted a symbol of a character who...doesn't support them and thinks they're corrupt and incompetent? Is it really just "Hurr hurr...skulls are cool. Pew pew bad guys!"? I guess there's a reason it's not "Back the Brains".

It's funny, but a lot of his re-vamped Batman concept sounds a lot like The Punisher (except for the "no killing" part). And it still baffles to me to this day why cops adopted a symbol of a character who...doesn't support them and thinks they're corrupt and incompetent? Is it really just "Hurr hurr...skulls are cool. Pew pew bad guys!"? I guess there's a reason it's not "Back the Brains".
I used to work with guys who called their shift The Shield and all took nicknames after characters from that show. Unironic in their love of how badass it was. Hell, you can probably find posts from me parroting it from those days here if you look far enough back. Introspection and policing do not go hand in hand.

I used to work with guys who called their shift The Shield and all took nicknames after characters from that show. Unironic in their love of how badass it was. Hell, you can probably find posts from me parroting it from those days here if you look far enough back. Introspection and policing do not go hand in hand.

It's not like they end up killing one of their own, not even one that was Internal Affairs, on the show... and it ends with one of them screwing the guy that was the one left alive that wasn't as guilty of stuff (like not being an accomplice to the original killing of the IA guy) in order to not be punished.

But i'm sure they all think of themselves as a Mackey instead of a Shane, Lem or Ronnie....

One of the greatest Justice League stories - nay, one of the greatest comics, PERIOD - is finally getting a collection. I am so here for it.

(Well, okay, it's not GREAT, but it's a lot of fun.)

Gonna be honest, the more reviews of the Boys comic I've read, the more glad I am to know to just stick to the shows.

ALSO, is Butcher really a PARODY of the Punisher or just... literally just the Punisher?

Gonna be honest, the more reviews of the Boys comic I've read, the more glad I am to know to just stick to the shows.

ALSO, is Butcher really a PARODY of the Punisher or just... literally just the Punisher?
Garth Ennis has the same problem that Mark Millar has, in that a lot of the adaptions of their work are just... leaps and bounds better than the original work itself.

*Looks at Preacher*

I guess there's exceptions to everything...
I feel the main difference between Preacher and the Boys, is the former has a lot more love in it (as well as a protagonist who doesn't become a monster) whereas the Boys just got more mean spirited as it went along.

THAT and Jesse is an original protagonist, whereas Butcher is just the Punisher with powers.

I feel the main difference between Preacher and the Boys, is the former has a lot more love in it (as well as a protagonist who doesn't become a monster) whereas the Boys just got more mean spirited as it went along.

THAT and Jesse is an original protagonist, whereas Butcher is just the Punisher with powers.
I thought Poe was directly referencing that the live-action adaptation of Preacher was pretty lack-luster, compared to, say The Boys or Kick-Ass, which I sadly have to agree. The books ended up being so much stronger than the series. ...well, to a point, anyway. I feel like all these comics suffered from the same problem, which is their cornerstone is shock-value graphic violence, and the longer they ran, the more they started spinning their wheels. You can only let a story coast on shock for so long before it becomes bland since you desensitize your audience. Preacher definitely suffered from this for the second half of it's run, although I do agree with your assessment of Jesse and his character.

Zappit

Staff member
I’m raffling off my copy of Avengers/JLA on Twitter and Bluesky to help a disabled mom.

@zapdraws on Twitter
@zappit.bsky.social on Bluesky

Anyone who enters has a pretty good chance of winning.