[Food] Post-MI diet re-jiggering

One of the handouts the hospital dietitian handed me last weekend was for limiting my sodium intake to 2g, or 2000mg, daily. So bye bye all the instant ramen that I'd just ordered. :(

But on the whole, it's not hypertension that got me. It was a blockage. A second coronary artery was 100% blocked. But this time they were able to put in stents. So that would really point to cholesterol and fat. Which considering my Wendy's intake over recent years, would make a lot more sense.

It's easy to be good at breakfast. Whole grain cereals. Oatmeal. Smoothies. Makes it less of a loss to ditch the breakfast bowls and hot pockets. What kicked my ass was lunch and dinner. It was a lot easier to just jump in the car and get a burger and fries combo than it was to clean up the night before's breakfast dishes. And only then could I start on something.

My facilities are somewhat limited. I have a small two-burner cooktop and a full microwave. No oven or broiler. I have a toaster oven, rice cooker and a crock pot. Other electric appliances could be added if I can show myself I'll make them worth the expense.

This is a clear case of PEBKAC. I can do this. IF I can motivate my lazy ass to get off the PC and actually freaking do it. I'll never get back the body I had in 2001, when I was biking to and from work every day and running 5 and 10Ks a couple times a month. What I can and must get back is the attitude and plan I had back then. What was I doing? What was I eating when it was a point of pride to NOT eat at McDonalds except in the case of emergency (like so gassed after a bike ride I was at risk of passing out)?

I ditched colas years ago. But that's only the tip of the tip of the iceberg.