Poke-Team go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElJuski

Staff member
Playing Pokemon Blue. Assemble my team, assholes.

Though right now I'm rolling p.dirty:

~Alakazam
~Hypno
~Mr. Mime
~Dewgong
~Lapras
~Jynx

Right now I am playing through Pokemon Soul Silver and my current team is

(Of course I am planning on making a few switches here and there later on)

Meganium
Snorlax
Gyarados
Flareon
Jolteon
Pidgeot

As for who you should have on your team. Does it really matter? You are playing Pokemon Blue so you can't battle online and just about any pokemon in the game can be leveled up enough to cream any in game opponent.

~Alakazam
~Hypno
~Mr. Mime
~Dewgong
~Lapras
~Jynx
For original red/blue, psychic is a totally cheesy way to ensure domination. I'd maybe replace Jynx with Gengar, but that's just a personal preference.

My old Blue team was

Blastoise (my Hyper Beam)
Zapdos
Arcanine
Gengar (my personal favorite and first level 100)
Parasect
Hitmonchan

Never fought anyone but my brother, but I never lost against the Elite 4.

I'm poking around on an emulated version of Emerald right now, started with the Fire Pokemon.

~Alakazam
~Hypno
~Mr. Mime
~Dewgong
~Lapras
~Jynx
I'm assuming this is just for in-game and not for competitive battling, right? If so, I highly approve of the psychic abuse.

And I had a nice Suispikes team for the Advance generation (R/S/E, FR/LG).
Curselax (A Snorlax who abused the Curse move, also provided Special walling)
Skarmory (Physical wall and Spiker)
Calmcune (A Suicune who abused the Calm Mind move, and used Roar to cause Spike damage)
Endrevcham (Medicham who used the Endure/Reversal combo)
Specialgar (Gengar focused on Special Attack, mainly used to block enemy Rapid Spin Pokemon trying to remove the spikes)
Claydol (Rapid Spinner for when enemies used Spikes as well, and occasionally a Tyranitar counter or Special wall)

~Alakazam
~Hypno
~Mr. Mime
~Dewgong
~Lapras
~Jynx
For original red/blue, psychic is a totally cheesy way to ensure domination. I'd maybe replace Jynx with Gengar, but that's just a personal preference.[/QUOTE]

Gengar is a badass in Red/Blue. Most moves do crap damage against him, his hp scales pretty well, and he's able to learn some of the most devastating Ghost/Psychic moves in the game.

If I remember correctly, my current team is...

- Magnazone (Lock-On + Zap Cannon = Good damage AND 100% Paralysis)
- Rhyperior (I think I was gonna replace him with Marrowack, but he's still a good tank)
- Flygon (Good type advantage and decent move sets)
- Garchomp (Because he's godly)
- Alakazam (The only consistantly good Pokemon in EVERY generation, even if he's lost a bit since Red/Blue)
- Blaziken (Utility. Break Brick to remove barriers, Aerial Ace to hit evasives, Blazekick for Fire move, Bulk-Up for buffs)

Back in Blue it was...

- Alakazam
- Blastoise
- Marrowack
- Dragonite
- Gengar
- Zapdos

Would you consider replacing your Blaziken with Infernape? The higher speed can make a big difference, I believe.

Would you consider replacing your Blaziken with Infernape? The higher speed can make a big difference, I believe.
Perhaps, but I don't think I have another Brick Break TM laying around. Plus I'd need to level him to match my Blaziken and I'm already in the middle of leveling something else. Plus Blaziken has more power I believe and Infernape can't use flying moves, so no Aerial Ace.

Infernape an learn Aerial Ace via TM, though the power thing is a good point. Basically it comes down to whether you want Blaziken's power or Infernape's speed. Usually for me speed wins out because it doesn't matter how much power you can muster if you're KO'd before you can even hit your opponent.

LET ME SHOW YOU MY POKEMANS

Golem, fuck yeahhh
Articuno, yeeeah boiiiii
Tentacruel, aww yiss
Starmie, ice cold yo
Polywrath, heck yes
Dragonite, aw snap

Before I swapped to Emerald I was playing Sapphire, got up to the Ice Pokemon gym with this group:

Swampert (wish I'd gotten the Fire type, wild Fire Pokemon are so rare until midgame I struggled a little)
Gardevoir (they're so Goddamn fast, plus Synchronize is awesome)
Manectric (just worked on this one for the Ice gym, might keep him though, he's not bad, chance to Paralyze when Pokemans hit him)
Lairon (good type combo and he's a beast, plus he can't be 1-hit KO'd)
Hariyama (fast for such a tank, high Ice/Fire resist even as a Fighter type)
Vibrava (initially my Fly bitch, turns out it's a pretty strong fighter too, and obligatory Dragon type)

My old Blue team was

Blastoise (my Hyper Beam)
Zapdos
Arcanine
Gengar (my personal favorite and first level 100)
Parasect
[STRIKE]Hitmonchan[/STRIKE]

Never fought anyone but my brother, but I never lost against the Elite 4.

I'm poking around on an emulated version of Emerald right now, started with the Fire Pokemon.
Forgot! I dropped 'chan for a Kingler at one point because of Guillotine.

My online team is usually EV-trained

Arcanine
Milotic
Umbreon
Venusaur
Golem
(no perma sixth, I'll swap through Raichu, Espeon, Machamp)

Right now I'm taking a break from trying to get through Heart Gold, but my current team is

Quilava
Jolteon
Vaporeon
Heracross
Parasect
Togetic

OOOOH! A Pokemon thread! Good, I'm not the only one on here over twenty and still playing!

I'm playing HeartGold now. This is the first pokemon game since the original Blue and Red I've really played. I tried Ruby Red for a few days but hated it. This one's actually really fun again though!

My current roster is:
Croconaw
Ampharos
Hypno
Golem
Togekiss
Growlithe

I'm trying to build this team different from how I used to build every team ever. So far I'm 1-0 with this lineup. Its going to get another field test tomorrow.

Back in Red, I've got:
Blastoise
Dugtrio
Snorlax
Jolteon
Magmar
Alakazam
This is pretty much exactly how I used to make every single team, except I'd have Zapdos in there instead of Magmar and another Snorlax in there instead of Alakazam.

My friends and I are also building up our own TYPE teams. I've got electric, and I think its going to be
Jolteon
Ampharos
Magneton
Magneton
Electrode
Electabuzz

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 AM ----------

Gengar is a badass in Red/Blue. Most moves do crap damage against him, his hp scales pretty well, and he's able to learn some of the most devastating Ghost/Psychic moves in the game.

I've never had trouble with Gengar. The Poison secondary type is its weakness. I always one hit kill it with a psychic attack, or Dig. And Dugtrio almost always gets first move cause he's hella fast.

See, that was the thing though, I think back in original Blue he was just Ghost, yeah? I can't find my cartridge to check. :/

Also, another correction! I swapped Parasect out for Dugtrio once he learned Earthquake and Dig. Monstrous. And yeah, I was just trying Fire Red and found myself kinda bored. I think all the added cutscenes when you do anything (use items, etc) slow it down too much.

I think the only Pokemon to give me any real trouble in Sapphire or Emerald so far is Magnemite/ton. Electric/Steel is lame.

Nope, in the original Red and Blue he was Ghost/Poison. That's one of the reasons Psychics were so overpowered in the original games, there were only three Ghost types, all of which were also Poison type and all of which were in the same evolutionary tree. The Ghosts that were supposed to counter Psychics ended up being weak to Psychic attacks.

See, that was the thing though, I think back in original Blue he was just Ghost, yeah? I can't find my cartridge to check. :/

Also, another correction! I swapped Parasect out for Dugtrio once he learned Earthquake and Dig. Monstrous. And yeah, I was just trying Fire Red and found myself kinda bored. I think all the added cutscenes when you do anything (use items, etc) slow it down too much.

I think the only Pokemon to give me any real trouble in Sapphire or Emerald so far is Magnemite/ton. Electric/Steel is lame.
Alls I know is Dig or Earthquake would take him out in one hit. But if he was able to put you to sleep you were pretty much screwed. Dream Eater's pretty bad.

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

Nope, in the original Red and Blue he was Ghost/Poison. That's one of the reasons Psychics were so overpowered in the original games, there were only three Ghost types, all of which were also Poison type and all of which were in the same evolutionary tree. The Ghosts that were supposed to counter Psychics ended up being weak to Psychic attacks.

I go the unexpected route with my Psychic countering. See, nobody ever expects you to have a bug type up your sleeve because bug types are terrible. But if you have one or, two pokemon of another type that have bug type MOVES, you can pull a sneak attack on them. My Ampharos has Signal Beam and my Jolteon has Pin Missile, and these are usually enough to get the job done.

Ahh, yeah. I do remember loving Dream Eater once I picked that up. I've always been surprised at how strong the HM moves are, Dive, Dig and Strength especially.

Building a team in Emerald now, so far I have:

Geodude (working on levels, likely going to drop him later since I can't trade to get Golem)
Azumarill (also likely dropping when I find a better Water type, maybe that Electric/Water one)
Combusken (Fight/Fire, so tasty)
Lombre (ditching as soon as I get the Plant fossil)
Taillow (will be the Fly bitch unless I find someone better for it, I'd love a Skarmory)
Kadabra (don't know if I'll keep or not, again can't trade to get Alakazam, but I do need a Psychic)

R

Reboneer

That, and they accidentally made Ghost type moves have zero effect against psychic types (instead of 2x effectiveness), despite people in-game telling you otherwise. In fact, the only type that was super effective against psychic was bug, and in gen 1 there weren't really any decent bug moves. So yeah, the game was hugely unbalanced, and psychic types were pretty much unstoppable.

As much as I love the original gen 1 games for nostalgia reasons, they really were incredibly broken.

Sadly I can't really remember what team I had for Blue. I played the game so many times it all became kind of a blur.

Alls I know is Dig or Earthquake would take him out in one hit. But if he was able to put you to sleep you were pretty much screwed. Dream Eater's pretty bad.

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

I go the unexpected route with my Psychic countering. See, nobody ever expects you to have a bug type up your sleeve because bug types are terrible. But if you have one or, two pokemon of another type that have bug type MOVES, you can pull a sneak attack on them. My Ampharos has Signal Beam and my Jolteon has Pin Missile, and these are usually enough to get the job done.[/QUOTE]

In original red/blue, the only bug attacks that did damage where leech life (which had a base power of 10, so even with a 2x vulnerability, is still weaker than an ordinary TACKLE) and pin missle. The only mons that could use pin missle were Beedril (bug/poison, will undoubtedly be 1hko'd by the much faster psychics) and jolteon.

Jolteon had mad speed, but pin missle was a physical attack, and jolteon had crap for strength. A pin-missleing jolteon might have a chance against an alakazam by way of paralyzing first, but it's going to be very touchy. And the alakazam will almost definately be using reflect/substitute/some sort of damage mitigator.

Really, the only good way of countering psychics were to use OTHER psychics, since the only type in red/blue that could resist psychic damage were psychic types. Bug took normal damage from psychic types, and while ghost was supposed to be strong against psychic, the only ghosts in the game were also poison (2x vulnerability).

Or just bust out a tank and hope you can crush the frail psychic mon before they obliterate you. Go snorlax!

I remember I had to use Dugtrio on Psychics, Dig spam helped a lot. That, or Zapdos using Fly. Anything I could do to get one of those "invincible" turns.

Or just bust out a tank and hope you can crush the frail psychic mon before they obliterate you. Go snorlax!

Snorlax was the best.[/QUOTE]

Snorlax is still pretty good. Rest and Snore are great moves that go great together![/QUOTE]

I prefer sleep talk over snore cause if you use moves that are physical attacks for your other two slots it takes advantage of Snorlax's high physical attack power. Plus for normal type attacks you get the STAB that raises the attack of that move even higher. My Snorlax is currently using the following moveset.

rest
sleep talk
crunch
body slam

My team got the CRAP beat out of it. I have to do some swapping, but that means grinding levels. I hate grinding levels. So I've kind of just stopped playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.