[Question] Play by post D&D 5e on Halforums?

Charity is ready! Level 1 Human Paladin.

Once a farmgirl, now a chosen of Chauntea after receiving a vision; she liberated her poor town from the yoke of a rich bozo by re-distributing his fortune; once his mercenary guards were no longer being paid, the townsfolk ran him out and hailed her as a hero - so she started traveling, to aid those in need.

Looks good.
Post automatically merged:

ddb.ac/characters/22595670/SWXsfk

Is this ok?
Solid

Okay, two bards, a wizard, and a paladin. Two more to go. Good possibilities: rogue, monk, cleric, ranger...city druid that loves rats and pigeons?

Upon consideration, I think it'd be better if I sit this one out for now, and watch you guys play to learn the ropes. That way you guys don't have to coach a complete newbie in the game, which would add to the challenges already inherent in playing D&D by post.

Upon consideration, I think it'd be better if I sit this one out for now, and watch you guys play to learn the ropes. That way you guys don't have to coach a complete newbie in the game, which would add to the challenges already inherent in playing D&D by post.
5th edition is so different from what I've played in the past I might as well be a newbie. Since playing online like this will be so much more relaxed there should be plenty of room for guidance.

If you're not feeling it, or don't know if you want to commit, I understand. If you think you'll drag us down, you're wrong.

If you're not 100% sure I bet you could watch a little then get introduced into the story later down the line.

Speaking as one of the more experienced players in this gang, I'm with Phil. The thing about PBP is we don't have to take time out of our own turns to help you understand stuff. There's time inbetween actions to help with the coaching. The game is slow already; a little bit of help here and there won't mess things up.

5th edition is so different from what I've played in the past I might as well be a newbie.
Same here. The time commitment was already going to be difficult, I didn’t need to add “haven’t played since AD&D2” on top of that.

—Patrick

Play by post can be one the purest forms of role play. It's nature sweeps away the rules and focuses on players expressing their intents and dumping on the DM to figure it out. It's main benefit is that it can retain to boring "I attack it with my sword" and replaces it with written descriptions that don't interrupt the game.

And I'm willing to switch my character to a supermodel sex mad sorcereress if it will keep @bhamv3 around.

HCGLNS is right. This is the easiest way into trying 5e out. If you want something easy to start with, I recommend a fighter with monk as a solid second choice (and my favorite class) or barbarian.

I used a character generator to make one of each and threw in a druid for funsies. You can use them as inspiration or pick one that looks good, if you like.

Attachments

Ah..missed where those were in the character generator. I'm not sure what you mean by "starting kit" exactly, but I've put some equipment on my character.
You should start with an adventurer's kit or a dungeoneer's kit, which includes a bedroll, rations, etc. There is a dropdown or checkbox someplace in there where you choose one kit over another.

If you made your character on dndbeyond (I think most did?) then you can join the campaign I created with this link: https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/8594903942642756

I'll be able to edit your character sheets and see backstories, etc. And I'll be able to see changes as you level up without having to export and upload any PDFs.

You should start with an adventurer's kit or a dungeoneer's kit, which includes a bedroll, rations, etc. There is a dropdown or checkbox someplace in there where you choose one kit over another.

If you made your character on dndbeyond (I think most did?) then you can join the campaign I created with this link: https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/8594903942642756

I'll be able to edit your character sheets and see backstories, etc. And I'll be able to see changes as you level up without having to export and upload any PDFs.
got it..I hadda google it up. It's an "Explorer's pack" (dungeoneer's pack, priest's pack, etc) in 5e. If you add it in the equipment section, it'll add all the individual items to your inventory. I didn't see any other place/way to add it--no drop box or checkbox.

got it..I hadda google it up. It's an "Explorer's pack" (dungeoneer's pack, priest's pack, etc) in 5e. If you add it in the equipment section, it'll add all the individual items to your inventory. I didn't see any other place/way to add it--no drop box or checkbox.
No problem. Looks good now.