Pixel - Page 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Zappit , been meaning to get back to you for a while, but kept putting it off. Well, I stopped putting it off.
I'm no cartoonist nor sequential art wannabe, so please take this with as much salt as it is worth, but I wanted to give you what I consider to be valuable feedback towards your cartooning style, specifically I want to remind you to think a little bit more out of the box, especially when the occasion warrants it.

For instance, the cartoon above had a slight flow problem (for me, at least) as to where to go to after panel 1. What jumped out at me was a way which would simultaneously be a guide to the reader as well as a completely natural staging element, which I have attempted to GIMP up for you thus:
wKzLPwNb.png

(Not exactly sure how to make it obvious that it's NOT coming from Kevin in panel 3, though. Maybe attach the pointy end of the word balloon so it's closer to the top of the back of the seat behind Ollie, and therefore above Kevin's head? I would have done this but I was having enough trouble drawing a smooth curve without having to make it twice as long)
It was one of your earlier comics that made me think you might have a hesitancy to break your borders, but I didn't give it much thought until I saw you doing it again, above. That's what made me think it might be a trend, and finally pushed me to do something. And here's that first comic...I've also tried to roughly GIMP in where I thought you could've broken your borders to great effect:
12b.png
In both cases, I felt that deliberately blending/straddling the borders actually serves to pull the reader through the comic more effectively, and further felt that I shouldn't keep this from you. You are free to dismiss it if it conflicts with your artistic vision, of course.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
That actually has a bit to do with the limitations of my software. I'm working entirely on the iPad now, but while giving me a massive boost in quality and efficiency, there are some issues. My pages are shorter, for one, so I have to lay the pages out a bit differently. Breaking the borders could clutter the art a bit, especially since I use bolder outlines. I didn't break it when working in pen and ink because my copy of PS 5.5 gave me jagged bubbles, so I wanted to keep them toned down a bit.

That, and I just never liked breaking the borders with Pixel. It always felt unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.