[Other] Pitch me your city!

I didn't say it wasn't good, just that it is not BBQ. They need to call it something else, like Pork Hash or something.

Real Barbecue is beef or pork with a spicy ketchup-based sauce.

No, vinegar-based sauce is not BBQ either, only ketchup. For anyone who doesn't believe, go to Applebee's or Chili's or any other mass market restaurant and ask them for barbecue. You will get ribs or a brisket with a ketchup-based sauce. Just make sure you then go find some run-down looking hole in the wall place to get the really good barbecue.
But, Texas is known for great smoked brisket. (Brisket + salt + pepper + smoke + heat) x time = BBQ; no sauce needed.
I will agree that bbq "sauce" can be formed from ketchup. Remember, that ketchup-based sauces are technically vinegar-based as well.

The meat should stand on its own, and be able to eat on it's own. Sauce is a condiment. And, it has to be tomato-based, spicy and not sweet like ketchup.

I'm not comfortable with having my definitions of food determined by applebees and chilis and I might be rethinking my entire stance on the issue.
Well I certainly can’t argue with that first part. I mean, you even have to question the validity of a “Western style” omelette there.

—Patrick

The meat should stand on its own, and be able to eat on it's own.
This is key. Too many people (and cooks, restaurants) hide poor meat, or poorly cooked meat, by adding sauce. To a degree it helps, and in minor cases it can even save a meat. But if your meat requires sauce to taste good then you shouldn't even be arguing about sauce to start with.

This is key. Too many people (and cooks, restaurants) hide poor meat, or poorly cooked meat, by adding sauce. To a degree it helps, and in minor cases it can even save a meat. But if your meat requires sauce to taste good then you shouldn't even be arguing about sauce to start with.
cf. A-1.

—Patrick

But, Texas is known for great smoked brisket. (Brisket + salt + pepper + smoke + heat) x time = BBQ; no sauce needed.
I will agree that bbq "sauce" can be formed from ketchup. Remember, that ketchup-based sauces are technically vinegar-based as well.

The meat should stand on its own, and be able to eat on it's own. Sauce is a condiment. And, it has to be tomato-based, spicy and not sweet like ketchup.
Fair enough.

I think we could get into a whole series of discussions on this though, because a lot of people use sauces after the meat is cooked, whereas many sauces are meant to be used as marinades, or during cooking. Vinegar based sauces, for instance, used prior to cooking can act as a tenderizer in addition to lending flavor, and they can improve the texture of the meat. Add that same vinegar based sauce after cooking, though, and it might be overpowering.

You need a lot of vinegar (relatively) prior to cooking, and little to none after, but some sauces try to be both a marinade and a condiment, which means there are compromises, and it's not great for either purpose.

I'm sorry, excuse me.

You are in the WRONG FUCKING PLACE to argue about BBQ.

Because it is ALL given to us by God and should ALL be appreciated in it's own way. If you know nothing about me, learn this, I love BBQ. It is my favorite food group on this planet and EVERY TYPE is wonderful. I have a BBQ road trip mapped out for myself, so I can eat my way through the US of A. Don't even. I will fight you all about my love of BBQ and the merits of every subcategory. I know it all and I love it all.

You're welcome to disagree and gtfo. :heart:

I'm sorry, excuse me.

Because it is ALL given to us by God and should ALL be appreciated in it's own way. If you know nothing about me, learn this, I love BBQ. It is my favorite food group on this planet and EVERY TYPE is wonderful. I have a BBQ road trip mapped out for myself, so I can eat my way through the US of A. Don't even. I will fight you all about my love of BBQ and the merits of every subcategory. I know it all and I love it all.

My "expertise" is in Missouri so I'd go Oklahoma Joes in KC and Pappys in St Louis. They aren't original suggestions but they're well-known for a reason.

And if you get hungry on the drive between the two and go to my old stomping grounds of Columbia, there's a place called Shotgun Petes that's absolutely delicious as well.

I'm sorry, excuse me.

Then you have to stop in Huntsville.

If you do make it out to Michigan, Boneheads BBQ is worth a visit. Lots of michigan halforumites to visit, to boot!

I've only been following this thread peripherally because I would not recommend the NYC/North Jersey area for someone who's never lived in a big city before, but

1) a BBQ-based road trip sounds deliciously amazing, and if you ever do make this journey, blog it in depth, and

2)I have to agree with @Yoshimickster that Philadelphia is a good East Coast starter city. The short version: it has access to most things out of NYC or Washington DC, but it isn't close to as expensive or hectic as either city. It's got a big LGBTQ scene and is very artist-friendly.

I've only been following this thread peripherally because I would not recommend the NYC/North Jersey area for someone who's never lived in a big city before, but

1) a BBQ-based road trip sounds deliciously amazing, and if you ever do make this journey, blog it in depth, and

2)I have to agree with @Yoshimickster that Philadelphia is a good East Coast starter city. The short version: it has access to most things out of NYC or Washington DC, but it isn't close to as expensive or hectic as either city. It's got a big LGBTQ scene and is very artist-friendly.
1) I'm so excited about it, honestly. I've been wanting to do it for years, and I will absolutely do an in depth blog about it whenever I do. I will share happily!

2) Philly is on my short list! It sounds pretty nice and the location sounds relatively ideal as well. :D

When my coworkers who won't shut up about where they've been eating start talking about BBQ, the one place they consistently won't shut up about is Slows BBQ in Detroit. There are more of them around, but the one they won't shut up about most is the one in Detroit.

--Patrick

Because I live in a cultural melting pot, many BBQ places around here generally serve several different regional styles. I tend to like them all, depending on what I'm in the mood for. But I'm not sure I'll ever get over yellow-colored bbq.

GasBandit

Staff member
Should you be reading threads like this in your condition? It seems kinda cruel.
My grandfather was eating sausage and stew in front of me all week.

Let me tell you, in about 3 weeks? When my stomach can tolerate solid food? I'm going to go full-on carnivogeddon murdersaurus. For about 3 bites anyway.

It's the return of the ravenous, unthinking eat-beast.

My grandfather was eating sausage and stew in front of me all week.

Let me tell you, in about 3 weeks? When my stomach can tolerate solid food? I'm going to go full-on carnivogeddon murdersaurus. For about 3 bites anyway.

It's the return of the ravenous, unthinking eat-beast.
Okay, so I think you should cross off whatever city this takes place in from your list of possibilities, Kags.